Experiment - Can a Soundbar become a Hifi System

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
In a word NO and I am pleased to enlighten the Forum as to why......

The Yamaha YSP 30D is a Capable Digital Surround Projector that can convey convincing surround movie capabilities so I was curious into it's capability as a Hifi system as it possesses various music modes. I used the Panasonic BD-30 Player as a CD player and a Panasonic HDMI cable (£69.99).

I used a CDR recorded from i-tunes with the following tracks:

Akon - Lonely
Dave Dee, Dozy, Mick etc - Legend of Xanadu
Kylie Minogue - I Believe in you
Andrew Gold (live) - Lonely Boy
Toni Basil - Mickey

and Annie Lennox Diva CD - Why,Walking on broken glass etc.

The First mode was 5 Beam with Yamaha MUSIC DSP selection with 2 mins without Subwoofer and the rest with.

Next up was 3 Beam plus Stereo same setting with Subwoofer.
Stereo setting with same SW lineup.
5 Channel Stereo with same SW lineup.

Yamaha employs an additional menu with High and Low enhanced music settings to compliment MP3 style music to try and make it as CD acceptable as possible, so I subjected it to the above in both settings.

To pass clinical tests, I had a shower, used ear buds and was not under the influence of caffeine or alcohol and started at 1000am on Thu 30 Mar 09.

I was disappointed with the conclusion as I thought the magic box would deliver the goods on one of the settings but alas the only adequate mode was 3 Beam plus Stereo that did surprise me.

I can however wholeheartedly recommended the Yamaha Subwoofer that dictated the correct level of bass compared to my previous spkr setup - APM 22ES. My Previous CD Player was a Rotel RCD965BX Bitstream player at approx same price as BD 30 and my Rotel was def superior.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts