Exclusive review of the new Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Collectus:I was talking to my local dealer yesterday and he was pretty cycnical!

Oh really? There's a surprise...

Collectus:they deliberately market new products via reviews such as the one here to whip up a buying frenzy and then take months to actually release them to the shops. He said it'll be Xmas before the BD-50 is forsale!

And what does this marketing genius think would be the point in that? Surely there's no point having a product reviewed and build up interest if you can't deliver product to capitalise on that interest. By Christmas the whole market will have moved on, surely?

Or to put it another way, what was he saying you should buy instead?

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andy Madden:I've just spoken to the chaps at Panasonic, and they've told me the BD50 is shipping now, so expect to see it in your local dealer in the next few days...

Hope its not the Titan-- The ---ray could si--. Just fill in the Blanks.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
And what does this marketing genius think would be the point in that? Surely there's no point having a product reviewed and build up interest if you can't deliver product to capitalise on that interest. By Christmas the whole market will have moved on, surely?

Or to put it another way, what was he saying you should buy instead?

Now there's being cynical, Andrew.

Sony do it all the time. They announce a product, give you the pr release and then don't deliver or even slip it under the carpet quietly by releasing the odd one here and there then bring out an updated model five months down the line. Plus we had the same with the BD30, I know of at least 20 UK sales panasonic lost with that one.

When they are struggling to sell product, every one counts.

PS. Like the new site but agree the forum posts could be a bit more defined.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:Yes, I spoke to the technical test team just before I left the office this evening and the review is all written, but as Andrew said, we're waiting for Pansonic's PR dept to supply us with a decent picture, which hadn't arrived by 6pm.
But don't panic! I'll be on the case first thing tomorrow morning, so we'll get the review posted just as soon as we get the picture.

Hi,

Thought you have your own dedicated photographic studio so you don't just rely on standard press shots? ;-)

Great to see product reviews online - the www allows the instant transfer of information which is becoming the norm in todays society. Imagine if we did have to wait until the end of July....

Great update on the site. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cofnchtr:

Thought you have your own dedicated photographic studio so you don't just rely on standard press shots? ;-)

We have, but we were a bit busy reviewing it and so the photographer couldn't get his hands on it in time when he'd finished doing everything else he had to do that day.

We do shoot everything for the magazine, but when a product hasn't been shot for the mag yet, we have to rely on press shots for the site.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Thought that busy would be the answer - you will all have had a frantic few weeks getting this site changed over, preparing the new magazine, answering questions on here, preparing the latest edition of the Ultimate Guide - oh and presumably you will all want some time with your families?!

Some people don't get the credit (or the coffee/hob-nobs or alcohol*) they deserve sometimes.

*Delete as appropriate

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The DMP-BD50 does sound like a very good BD player indeed, but untill someone has figured out how to make a BD player Multi-Zonal for all Zone playback of BD software then I personally will be sticking with My PS3 for BD playback. Yes I am sure that the BD50 is a far better proformer that the PS3 when it come to picture quality and I would also benifit from the Analog outs so I could hear the HD sound on My older Yamaha amp, but I only want to buy a player that is Multi-Zonal.
emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts