Exclusive 3401

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys!

I mentioned in other post I took the SET road for my music system. (even Vladimir think it is a nonsence! ;-) )

I am quite restless and I got the oportunity to buy in Japan a pair of Exclusive 3401 speakers (TAD). I have of course not hear them yet as they are on the way to Chile, therfore I wanted to ask if some of you has had the chance to hear them. It was quite a Leap of faith!

I have a good friedn how colect this kind of speakers and amps. He has the JBL Everst and Yamaha SNX 10.000 as example, and he said I could not do wrong wiht this. lets hope!!

kr

Eduardo

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Your friend has great taste in gear and a 250Wpc in 8 ohms amplifier. I'd listen to him if I were you. *biggrin*

Congrats on those truly Hi-End Pioneers.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

here is a samll video (with an Iphone) of te Exclusive 3401 already at home!!

really very nice speakers!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhonFbw0sds

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just in time for New Year's Eve! *ok*

They look rather substantial: wide and deep but not that tall. Have you tried lifting them a little off the floor for tighter bass and a better soundstage? Or are they supposed to couple to the floor?

Can you comment on the design and what they sound like? 15" woofer (educated guess), horn loaded mid and treble, frontported. Easy to drive? Do the drivers integrate well? Etc.

We want a full report! Preferably this year!*blum3*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
Hi!

here is a samll video (with an Iphone) of te Exclusive 3401 already at home!!

really very nice speakers!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhonFbw0sds

Lovely. Clearly based on the 'classic' JBL 4330 series of the mid 1970s (I used to have a pair of 4332, (active 4333)). Sensitivity will be high, probably not as high as the specs show but mid 90dB/watt anyway.

As DocG suggested, they will sound better off the floor, the JBLs liked to be raised about 12-15 inches so I would look at that. Can't think of any purpose made stands that will do the job, we used 'Spaceframe', inch square hollow section with hammer in joints, getting them nice and square so they didn't rock was an issue but once we managed that they were fine.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Here is all the technical data of the speakers.

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/speaker/model3401-w-e.html

The sensibility is rated as 97db and I think it is quite accurate has my previous speakers were of 93db and the difference in SPL at the same volume on the preamp is big.

The sounds of this speakers is very big, deep and rich. not has detailed as my previous speakers but the performance at low volume is amazing, it change my way to listen to music. Whit this sensibility you get everything from the SET amp with less than 1 watt. I am really happy with this jewels. they look much nicer live than they appear in the videos or pictures. it is also a nice feeling to have such a special speakers in your living room.

I have not try jet to lift them up, because I am making special sands for it, but I am sure it will be an improvement in the sound.

kr

Eduardo

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Eduardo, yes, these are the sort of speakers that I like a lot.

Do you notice a lot of difference in how they sound depending on how high your ears are relative to the midrange units?

I have a pair of horn hybrids that only come into focus when my ears are at the same level as the midrange units. Which means sitting on the floor to hear them at their best, or mounting them on very large very rigid and sturdy stands.

I'm surprised you mentioned they sound less detailed than your previous speakers, as midrange clarity is an area where good compression drivers with SET's in a 3 way design excel. What were your previous speakers?

Sometimes you get speakers that are somewhat compressed and lacking in bass extension. When you compare them to more dynamic speakers with fuller bass you can get the psycho-acoustic effect that the lean compressed speakers sound more detailed in the midrange because they've filtered and simplified the music.

What SET amplifier are you using? Are you using a 45, 2a3, 300b or 211 based SET? There's a good chance that your 3401's are the sort of speakers that are not amplifier fussy. They should sound great with any fully working amp of any type from class D to class A/B solid state to valve amps, whilst still showing the differences between amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts