Exact Audio Copy Windows 10 problem

• Thread starter BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW
  • Start date
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Since I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, I've had problems, but I've now discovered another, which is very frustrating.

I've just tried ripping a CD with EAC, and at first it recognises the disc and tracks, then I get two pop-ups, one with 'File Explorer' heading a blank page, and then immediately after a small pop-up which says 'insert a disc' at the same time as ejecting the disc.

Ive tried deleting and reinstalling the drivers, so I'm presuming this is another Windows 10 problem.

Any help would be gratefully received.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
This could be a starter for you to explore:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/eac-and-windows-10.465424/

The OP has the problem 'I just got a new PC with Win 10, and EAC seems to run into contention problems when trying to use the disc drive.'

Step 1 of his solution was 'Ok, so I'm a dummy and forgot to disable auto-detect. With auto-detect disabled, I was able to set up EAC properly. But. . . After shutting EAC down I can't get it to restart. It just hangs on the "EAC is starting up" message.'

Step 2 was 'Further update: I was able to get EAC to open and close correctly with the "Troubleshooting Compatibilty" option on right click. I had to tell Windows it last worked in Vista (what my old PC was running), and the problem was solved.'

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
This could be a starter for you to explore:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/eac-and-windows-10.465424/

The OP has the problem 'I just got a new PC with Win 10, and EAC seems to run into contention problems when trying to use the disc drive.'

Step 1 of his solution was 'Ok, so I'm a dummy and forgot to disable auto-detect. With auto-detect disabled, I was able to set up EAC properly. But. . . After shutting EAC down I can't get it to restart. It just hangs on the "EAC is starting up" message.'

Step 2 was 'Further update: I was able to get EAC to open and close correctly with the "Troubleshooting Compatibilty" option on right click. I had to tell Windows it last worked in Vista (what my old PC was running), and the problem was solved.'

Thanks Mike. I'd just read through that, but I can't see an option for disabling auto-detect.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It seems like most users have no issues with EAC and win 10, but there are several forums with threads about users having issues. There seems to be no consistent solution proposed, but the suspicion does seem to focus on the order in which software updates are performed (especially the ASPI .dll update, but there is further confusion whether win 10 still needs ASPI .dll anyway).

I get the impression that the standard IT support desk solution is popular, ie uninstall your latest set of updates, then reinstall your software one by one, until you identify the software update that stopped EAC working.

This is the drastic 'if all else fails, start again from a blank canvas' approach, so is really a last resort.

I would suggest trying to rip without EAC for a short while, but keep searching the web for solutions. probably not the answer that you wanted, but I don't want to recommend you try a fresh install of win 10, and maybe end up with more problems.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks Mike, but I seem to have it sorted.

I closed EAC, and started ripping using Windows Media Player, to see if it worked, and of course, it did. So I closed WMP, with the disc still in the drive, opened EAC, and hey presto! it's now working. I then ejected the disc and then reinserted it to see if it would work that way, and it did.

I haven't got a clue with computers, and I get very frustrated when things defy logic and don't work, but atleast I've sorted it, even if I'm still frustrated by the lack of logic involved in making it work.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Glad it is working.

Computers do operate using logic, but the software settings that are needed, and the sequence in which software checks those settings (and the drivers etc) are often opaque, to the typical user. I am just thankful that google enables us to search the web, for others who have experienced the same issues, and then hopefully discover their solutions.

I've got that problem too with EAC on Windows 10. The problem lies with File Explorer and AutoPlay setting in Windows where AutoPlay says to start the disc with File Explorer and for some reason it cannot handle audio CDs while the old Windows Explorer from Windows 8 and older could.

Set AutoPlay (found in Settings / Devices / AutoPlay) to either "Take no action" or "Ask me every time". If it's set to "Open folder to view files" then there is the error you mention.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts