EX Demo and Second hand

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
There seems to be some good deals on EX Demo and Second hand speakers and amps.
Are these items generally in perfect working order or do they tend to present some problems after a while?
Have amplifier and speaker technology improved much in the last few years to warrant buying a brand new system?

Thanks for the advice,
Conor

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ex-Demo is a great idea.

I picked up my Nait 5i and CD5i for a combined price of £1494 instead of £1660 (10 percent off) and they are very recent serial numbers and in mint condition. (Remotes and all literature still sealed when I bought them.)

This was from a Naim dealer and I still get the same 3 year guarantee.

I also bought my (Maple) Rega R3's ex-dem last year for £399 instead of £498 from the same dealer. (This was long before Rega brought in a new speaker range.) Three year guarantee on those too. Also flawless.

A

Anonymous

I also think it's the way to go. One has to be careful with second hand, but generally hi-fi enthusiasts take good care of their equipment. I see 1-3 year old speakers going for 1/2 the new price which often is a great deal. I just sold my 4-months old RS6s in mint condition for fairly cheap and took a sizable loss - so the guy who bought it got a great deal!

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
lucky chap. Should there be an "Exchange and Mart" facility on this forum do you think? Sounds like some posters change their kit more often than I change my shirt
emotion-3.gif

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Great deals if you shop carefully and partner well

I got my amp, CD, speakers, speaker cables and Rack for 2/3 of list price. Most of the savings were on end of line/ex demo amp and CD, and the slightly marked Apollo rack was half price. The result IMHO is far better than if I had bought up to date items at or near list price

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
chebby:
Ex-Demo is a great idea.

I picked up my Nait 5i and CD5i for a combined price of £1494 instead of £1660 (10 percent off)

while its great you got money off, its pretty easy to barter 10% off most high cost electricals just by asking/arguing - So im sure you could have gotten something new, not ex demo for the same cost.

I dont think iv ever paid the asking price for anything elctrical that retails over £200.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Obviously a sprinkling of common sense is needed when buying seconds or ex-dem. Best thing is to only buy from proper authorised hifi dealers. I myself bought my Rega Apollo from my local Audio Excellence which was a ex-display. Yesteday i bought an ex-display Rega Mira 3 from the same store. No problems with either and i saved almost £200 !

A

Anonymous

visionary:lucky chap. Should there be an "Exchange and Mart" facility on this forum do you think? Sounds like some posters change their kit more often than I change my shirt
emotion-3.gif

It would be great if this forum had a facility for that... but I guess they would need to hire people to set it up and monitor, which may be expensive.

idc

sthomas048:Obviously a sprinkling of common sense is needed when buying seconds or ex-dem. Best thing is to only buy from proper authorised hifi dealers. I myself bought my Rega Apollo from my local Audio Excellence which was a ex-display. Yesteday i bought an ex-display Rega Mira 3 from the same store. No problems with either and i saved almost £200 !

(Sorry off topic) So you wnet for the Rega Mira! Cracking amp. Whats you thoughts so far?

As for buying second hand I think that the best advice is to know your source. Audiophiles do look after their kit, so if it someone selling to upgrade and not as an 'online business' or second hand from dealers who have taken trade ins, then you should be fine.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Yes with a strong will i decided to resolve my new amplifier or speakers crisis yesterday and bought a Mira 3 ! It offers me so much more than my old Rotel (as good as it was). My issues were mainly with bass - and the Mira tightens that up well. After listening to a few cds including Morrissey and The Cardigans i shall conclude that combined with the Apollo in the Mira i have a fine, musical, balanced, refined and smooth sounding amp. Im pleased.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
This depends on the seller and how he keeps his shop. If it's clean and they look after their kit then no problem. If it looks like a store off Tottenham Court Road I would be more suspicious.

I do agree that you should be looking at 25-40% off for ex-demo, rather than 10%. I would expect at least 10% off new unless demand for something far exceeds supply.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd have to echo the comments especially on second hand/used gear. I purchased my DNM amps approx six months ago directly from the manufacturer, fully refurbised and serviced - these units might be getting on for 15 years old but allowed me to get to a level of performance I would have had no chance of otherwise getting to (circa 10k new!!). If you know what you want and are prepared to wait for the perfect item, there are some very very good deals out there.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
2cnd hand....you cant knock it..

Example...mint pro ject expression mk1, ortofon tango mc, speed box mk2, creek obh9. the pro ject and creek from flea bay, tango and speed box from henley the importers, who sell on fleabay. (ex dem )

all in.....aprox £225....add that lot up new and weep.....the cartridge alone comes in at £150.

A

Anonymous

Seems to be a lot for positive experiences from second hand kit here on the forums!

I have found a local dealer who is offering products for about 40%. I am buying my 1st hi-fi setup and that seems like a discount well worth taking advantage off.

Thanks for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts