SteveR750

Just had one of those moments listening to a new Neil Young CD. I was thinking that the sound from the new bits of gear I just bought (the K2 and 6 SE) were somehow not quite delivering. OK the speakers are the weak link but not that bad surely I thought. Suddenly stick a good recording in to 6SE and now I understand what all the fuss is about. So many rock CD's are recorded with so much signal processing that its no wonder they sound lifeless on a decent system. Unless its because the masters were recorded in analogue...! Time to fire up Keb Mo i think.

A

Anonymous

I always thought Yes albums were over processed when I was just getting into rock music [ on vinyl then ] , it is frustrating when what should be a good recording from a decent group of musicians is spoilt by some pratt with the sliders and too many electronic boxes.

Nothing to do with analogue recordings, a band I was involved with did an album a few years ago on 16 track tape with minimum processing and a lot of straight live recording, it sounds lively and spacious with lots of dynamics. You can hear all the instruments, vocals and subtle stuff, cymbals floating around in space and strange murmerings in the recesses of the room, all of which we wanted
emotion-2.gif
recorded in a bedroom over a weekend but with a good engineer without the inclination to stress over making everything sound smooth.. keep it real
emotion-1.gif

idc

This album sounds exactly as the cover depicts, it was recorded live in a shed................................

41rWzjWEi5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It is my experience that the better and more detailed a system you have, the more poorly recorded music is shown up for the mess it is.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
as you improve your system you will soon find out that a lot of cd,s are total rubbish....not talking about music content, mixing and production...

i have a couple of reference cd,s that show how it,s supposed to be done..

try the Blue Nile....Hats....on the Linn label, in my book it does,nt get much better.......

idc

I cannot think of a badly recorded Neil Young album, including the rockers such as Mirror Ball. From other threads rock is considered to be just about the worst recorded, or hardest to reproduce genre of music.

SteveR750

It shouldn't come as a srprise to me really since I have used Adobe audition software to record my own songs onto a PC. The end result might sound initialy quite impressive but the fact is that a lot of the sonic information that gives the spacial clues or postioning is totally missng, as the delay and the soundstage postioning is all completely fabricated, and a good system wont make it sound any better than a cheap one.

One of the best recordings I have got is Keb Mo "Slow Down" which although being porocess in HDCD is clearly recorded "live" in the studio. Another great reference for me is AC-DC's Live at Atlantic Recording Studio from the Bonfire set.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts