Ethernet from Airport Express

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a NAS, rather than connecting it directly to the router would it work fine if I used the Apple Airports wireless capability and connected it to that instead? I have more room to locate it next to the airport express. Would transfer rates be dramatically reduced?

Thanks

iMark

If I understand correctly you want to link the Airport Express through WiFi to your network and connect the NAS through ethernet to the Airport Express.

I think this could work if you check the box 'Allow Ethernet clients' in the settings. I think this discussion on the Apple discussion board will interest you.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1378518?start=0&tstart=0

Transfer speed will be about 75% of the speed of your WiFi network, I would say about 40 Megabyte/second. More than enough for playing music but very slow for transferring files from a computer to the NAS.

A

Anonymous

Hi iMark and thanks for your reply. Yep you interpreted me perfectly; wireless>airport express>nas.

Will be mainly used for streaming music so if you think the transfer rate will be okay for this then I should be fine.

thanks again

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yaya2 said:
Hi iMark and thanks for your reply. Yep you interpreted me perfectly; wireless>airport express>nas.

Will be mainly used for streaming music so if you think the transfer rate will be okay for this then I should be fine.

thanks again

Just to check, doing what you're doing will essentially allow you to access the files on the NAS wirelessly. It won't allow you to stream the music held on the NAS to the Airport Express directly - you'll need iTunes running on a PC to access the music files on the NAS and this can then stream them to the Airport Express.

You may have realised this, but just wanted to be sure!

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for replies all. I am not wanting to stream to the Airport Express, I am wanting to stream to a logitech squeezebox touch. I am just wanting to use the airport express to stop me having to connect the NAS directly to the router.

iMark

You could try Devolo Home plugs for this. But it might work out more expensive than an Airport Express.

http://www.devolo.com/consumer/dlan-mains-supply-network-via-powerline.html?l=en

A

Anonymous

Thanks again iMark I will certainly have a look at devolo homeplugs. Your advice is much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts