Ethernet connection quandary

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Going to be getting a Marantz CR603 in the next couple of weeks (early Xmas pressie to myself :) ). I'm considering the ethernet connection which will I will have to provide to utilise the Internet Radio function.
Option 1 - make up a cable, not an issue as I can get the cable, connectors and crimp tool from work and tailor make my own. Problem is the router. though in the same room, is diagonally opposite where the 603 will be. So there are 2 walls to run, and hide, the cable around. The fireplace is not much of a problem as I can remove the hearth to put the cable behind it. It's just all a bit awkward though.
Option 2 - use Homeplugs. The only issue I see here is that 2 mains sockets will be used. Not normally a problem but the Xmas lights she will want up will put sockets at a premium.
Anyway, I don't know much about Homeplugs so is anyone else using them for this sort of application?
Rich

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, the cable is my preferred option. I'm just being lazy and dreading the thought of hiding it around 2 walls.

I expect you and I are really going to miss Best Buy at Cribbs. ;)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
8009514 said:
I expect you and I are really going to miss Best Buy at Cribbs. ;)

Nah, I miss it quite easily everytime I drive past and don't bother going in. Obviously I will go in if they have a decent closing down sale! Hypocrite, yes, idiot, n...well, the juries still out on that one...

daveh75

8009514 said:
. Option 2 - use Homeplugs. The only issue I see here is that 2 mains sockets will be used. Not normally a problem but the Xmas lights she will want up will put sockets at a premium. Anyway, I don't know much about Homeplugs so is anyone else using them for this sort of application? Rich

You can buy homeplugs with 'mains passthrough', so you wouldn't lose the use of 2 sockets.

Though personally i'd always go the wired route, if at all possible.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought a Humax freeview digibox and because I have a similar issue to the OP I decided to use an wireless dongle for iPlayer and YouTube - but I was plagued with failing signal

In the end I went for a long Ethernet cable - and it's much better - no problems at all now - tonight watched Simon Rattle conduct Beethoven’s 9th on iPlayer - with sound out of the HiFi.

piper1st

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Wired is best. Remeber to be careful when running CAT5/6 cable around a skirting etc, try not to pinch it or bend it too tight etc, as this will reduce the cables performance. If you have old skirting boards, sometimes you can prise them off a little, enough to feed the cable down the back.

T

the record spot

God knows, I couldn't be bothered with all the grief of putting cables through walls...just get the homeplugs with the mains socket built-in. I use Devolo ones, they're fine. No impact on sound, no interference, no nothing, just easy connectivity. I use mine for the Sony TV and the Panasonic Blu-ray player. Much easier and more flexibility too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts