Esoteric Amplifiers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IDK if you plan to keep it, but I'd put it on a steel mesh rack. These types of japanese high end integrateds are high biasing even at AB topology. IM distortion is unmeasurable. The heatsinks can hold a sheet of paper with the convex air suction power.

insider9

Vlad, no such plans at present. I'm dipping my toes trying to write reviews. Rick has been kind enough to provide Leema Tucana II Anniversary before (review here) and now Esoteric F-05.

Look what you made me do :)

Now playing...

vYEYoSv.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That's how the next audiophile generation will be spawned. *biggrin*

But how does Laurence Juber "Guitar Noir" sound through the F-05?

insider9

Thanks Vlad. I'll add it to my list. Like I said to Mac earlier, I'm trying to give it a bit of time before I post any thoughs about the sound. Making sure amp has sufficient warm up, setup including DSP is spot on and I work out all the small detail. Potentially lots of tinkering involved. Bar the final World Cup games got nothing better to do :)

insider9

There is a list of material I want to listen to. I'm not restricting myself though or sticking to any particular order. Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" wasn't on the list but still got a listen late last night, with notes so might get a mention in the review. It's all mood dependent and I'll see where the amp takes me.

There's a good amount of Jazz on there so you should be happy. Matthew Halsall wasn't on the list, however I'm familiar with his work, so might be temted to add it. Material I've used for Leema review is here.

From new Jazz releases there definitely will be Kamasi Washington and John Coltrane as listened to these albums a lot.

I'm trying to strike a good balance between material I've known for a long time and new releases. Keeping it interesting and fresh for myself but also relatable for others.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm 100% aware that power and large impressive build quality doesn't always translate into objective performance. I could post the Trio Model 600 as example. If you see for how much it sells for and what praise it gets, you'd think its the best thing on flat earth. However, it's really an overpriced disappointment.

Eagger to read insider's review about the F-05 beast. Will there be some measurements?

insider9

I've acoustically measured every amp I've had, since I got UMIK-1. These are in-room measurements and hardly ever reveal any differences between amplifiers. Measured cables too (including digital). Speakers are another matter but once again it's in-room so tells you more about room acoustics than anyting else. Should I have proper equipment for the job it would be more interesting.

Full review will take a few weeks, Vlad. What I'm really after is understanding what the sound of this piece is really about. Early impressions should be up in a few days. I'm very thorough :)

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've listened to Esoteric amps driving Focal speakers in my dealer's showroom several times.

In my view, their presentation is dry, transparent and neutral, as opposed to warm, organic or pacy (when paired with Esoteric SACD and network players).

Quite similar to the Swiss brand Soulutions, if you've ever heard these amps.

Very well made and with a type of sound that will appeal to those who value neutrality and transparency.

One thing to note is that they've priced themselves very close to their Accuphase peers, at least here in Singapore.

So their class A amp is rated at 30WPC and costs about the same as the 30W Class A Accuphase (I think it's th E-650 now). I'm guessing that Accuphase's perceived higher resale value and possibly more established reputation when it comes to building amps might play a part when it comes to choosing between the two brands.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Singslinger said:
I've listened to Esoteric amps driving Focal speakers in my dealer's showroom several times.

In my view, their presentation is dry, transparent and neutral, as opposed to warm, organic or pacy (when paired with Esoteric SACD and network players).

Very well made and with a type of sound that will appeal to those who value neutrality and transparency.

How much of that sound do you you think was down to the Focal Speakers?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:

One thing to note is that they've priced themselves very close to their Accuphase peers, at least here in Singapore.

So their class A amp is rated at 30WPC and costs about the same as the 30W Class A Accuphase (I think it's th E-650 now). I'm guessing that Accuphase's perceived higher resale value and possibly more established reputation when it comes to building amps might play a part when it comes to choosing between the two brands.

I have read this about Esoteric kit and I did demo their old DV50 CDP and didn't like it at all, but the fact the F05 has tone controls makes it more attractive to me, doubt I would swap it for the E470 though.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

insider9

Just how good tone controls are was a big surprise for me. Particularly the inclusion of well placed Midrange tone control. I intened to post some pictures of measurements and an explanation what they are later.

I think they could be a massive feature for people who don't used DSP.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Just how good tone controls are was a big surprise for me. Particularly the inclusion of well placed Midrange tone control. I intened to post some pictures of measurements and an explanation what they are later.

From what you've heard so far....what Amp catagory would you put it in? eg Ruthlessly Neutral, or more engagingly musical (like Accuphase)

insider9 said:

The Technics SU-G30 has a midrange control as well as bass and treble - very useful.

insider9

CnoEvil said:
From what you've heard so far....what Amp catagory would you put it in? eg Ruthlessly Neutral, or more engagingly musical (like Accuphase)

I'm doing my best to post something a little more substantial later on. Hope work won't get in a way too much today as I'm doing both.

insider9

It looks like my day just got busier so here's some observations, before I won't be able to post anything other than a short reply. I might not have a chance to take and post measurements today.

Ok, here goes a few things to consider. I'm not referring to individual tracks below, only albums. All listening was done via USB input at native resolution or upsampled to DSD64, with local FLAC files and Tidal Hifi. Various volume levels were used. These are only selected observations about the sound.

First thing that struck me, listening to System of a Down "Toxicity" was the clarity. Serj Tankian's vocals are generally difficult to understand. It isn't down to enunciation, but the speed and ferocity with which he's belting out lines. Esoteric makes them much easier to follow and connect with. Overall clarity means a lot of detail too and wonderfull imaging.

I've pushed it really hard with no fatigue (neither me, nor the amp), but it's the low level performace that I find remarkable. Level of detail and intimacy when listening around midnight to Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" gives me goosebumps just writing about it. And the vocals are glorious.

Tonally it is a richer sounding amp. Dry and neutral remarks above surprise me. Full of timbral flavour with wonderfully open midrange, sparkly treble and beautifully low bass.

One criticism, if it is criticism at all is it needs good quality recordings. Ideally of unamplified / vocal nature.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You are getting into to the realms of where the quality of the Source becomes essential...especially due to the revealing nature of your speakers.....ideally something around the ballpark of a Linn Akurate DS....Majik DS at the very least. IMO

I can't help thinking it was the Focals that effected the sound Singslinger heard. I can tolerate Focal with the AMS35i, which I suspect is sweeter than Esoteric (more in line with Accuphase Class A).

insider9

Could've been taste also, or preceding gear. One of the reasons I didn't want to post about sonic traits straight away as they'd be direct comparison to Leema and Hegel. I want to post about it on merit and try and understand it best I can. With as much objectivity as possible.

As to source, you are probably quite right Cno. USB is in a DAC board Rick installed for me. Async USB, so it should be fine. Linn streamer would be great, I have no doubt. But would it be better or just different. I'm sure it would only confuse me for a week or two.

Comment regarding material was more to do with albums and tracks being played. It is highly revealing and particularly in Metal/Rock recordings you hear a little bit more than you'd want.

I will be trying other sources also to see how it responds. Including my lowly Hegle which sound I like so much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts