Err well ........................

davidlu

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Today i have mostly been listening to cassette tapes. Recorded a long time ago on chrome tapes at good levels. BBC new year concert on FM from Cardiff, didnt write the year down. Saint Saen piano concerto 2 by Bella Davidovich with concertgebouw orch. Neeme Jarvi. A tape to tape copy of Grieg/Schummann piano concertos by Stephen Bishop Kovacevich and BBC Symphony Orch. Sir Colin Davis. All recorded with a marantz twin deck machine. Amp is arcam movie solo 5.1. Played loud and no hiss from where i was sitting. I was expecting to be critical after listening yesterday evening to dvd A. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute. I am tempted to say that FM was better then but don't want to start anything.

FIGHT FIGHT !

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have many BBC radio plays that I recorded onto good TDK 180 VHS tapes (audio only, NICAM) back in the 1990s. I copied them to DVD on a Panasonic VHS/DVD/HDD recorder a few years ago, then used Mpeg Streamclip software to 'demux' the audio files to AIFF and imported them to iTunes in Lossless.

They still sound excellent.

However, more recently, I have used FM via Arcam, Naim (and now Marantz) tuners - always with a good rooftop FM aerial and strong signal - to listen to many BBC dramas and drama series and the quality is just as good as it ever was.

I don't record them anymore. I buy the series on CD whenever they are available and rip to iTunes or listen on iPlayer or the repeats on Radio 4 Extra.

The reasons I originally used VHS (rather than audio cassette) were (a) so that I would not get breaks in plays that were often well over 2 hours in length (b) video recorders had excellent timer facilities for recording when I was out.

I gave my last cassette deck (Yamaha KX-580) to my brother a few years ago after ditching all my tapes. (iPlayer is far more 'robust' assuming system backups are taken.)

davidlu

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Looked up your bits and pieces online and looks as though you have a neat and tidy system at not a great outlay and of course you can take some of it with you.