Equalizer APO works with an external DAC on Windows

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Equalizer APO works with an external DAC on Windows. Just wanted to post a thread with that title as this fact is surprisingly difficult to reliably confirm.

Before anyone complains this will introduce distortion and is not what the artist intended, please understand some of us need equalization due to our ears. My eardrums are terribly scarred & thin from chronic childhood ear infections. I still enjoy hi-fi very much, but only if I can subdue midrange a bit. I also boost mid-bass because I prefer my system that way.

If anyone knows of other good equalization options that work with external DAC's please post for those looking. There's the Schiit Loki Mini which has only four bands, and also the miniDSP which I'm not sure is any better than Equalizer APO for simple stereo "ear correction" (as opposed to room correction). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

insider9

Hi, sorry to hear about your hearing. I feel for you. There are quite a few solutions that can do what you're after. Sonarworks, Dirac Live, Lyngdorf, also built in DSP in players be it advanced like Roon or more basic like Foobar. On top of that you can use extrernal solutions like Minidsp. Other than Lyngdorf I've used all of ones mentioned and it really depends on your needs.

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions! I stream Amazon Music HD and my wife listens to purchased Itunes (all on our Windows PC) so all I really need is good equalization software between those apps and the DAC. Do you think one of your suggestions would serve me better than Equalizer APO?

Vincent Kars

The big advantage is that it works system wide.
You might use the pre-amp function to avoid distortion when the audio hits 0 dBFS

There is a GUI as well: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-tool-for-headphone-hearing-capability.17279/

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
The big advantage is that it works system wide.
You might use the pre-amp function to avoid distortion when the audio hits 0 dBFS

There is a GUI as well: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-tool-for-headphone-hearing-capability.17279/
Interesting thread, not that I understand it all. I employed some of the suggestions, more for the placebo affect as I probably can't hear the difference!

janul

Sep 22, 2023
Visit site
Equalizer APO works with an external DAC on Windows. Just wanted to post a thread with that title as this fact is surprisingly difficult to reliably confirm.

Before anyone complains this will introduce distortion and is not what the artist intended, please understand some of us need equalization due to our ears. My eardrums are terribly scarred & thin from chronic childhood ear infections. I still enjoy hi-fi very much, but only if I can subdue midrange a bit. I also boost mid-bass because I prefer my system that way.

If anyone knows of other good equalization options that work with external DAC's please post for those looking. There's the Schiit Loki Mini which has only four bands, and also the miniDSP which I'm not sure is any better than Equalizer APO for simple stereo "ear correction" (as opposed to room correction). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hello Chris, I see this thread is quite old but atually I am using eq apo and I am a bit worried about what I see here. Could you please tell mi a bit where to find info why eq apo adds distortion if using with external dac? I do not understand why this would be as my understanding is that it edites digital signal which is then sent directly to dac via usb.

Hello Chris, I see this thread is quite old but atually I am using eq apo and I am a bit worried about what I see here. Could you please tell mi a bit where to find info why eq apo adds distortion if using with external dac? I do not understand why this would be as my understanding is that it edites digital signal which is then sent directly to dac via usb.
Please start a new thread. Chris hasn't been on the forum since June.

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Greetings, I'm still lurking! Since this thread is short I may as as well clarify my comment here.

This was my first post and I was being defensive about introducing something into the audio chain that shouldn't be necessary under ideal conditions. I assume EQ APO's processing could introduce some distortion but feel it's worth it due to my compromised hearing and my love of bass!

Friesiansam

Greetings, I'm still lurking! Since this thread is short I may as as well clarify my comment here.

This was my first post and I was being defensive about introducing something into the audio chain that shouldn't be necessary under ideal conditions. I assume EQ APO's processing could introduce some distortion but feel it's worth it due to my compromised hearing and my love of bass!
Equalization is only a problem if you want it to be, you don't, so it isn't a problem.

I use a little equalization in Foobar2000, if a "purist" doesn't like it, that's his problem. I don't listen with his ears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts