Epson EH-TW3600 projector and Sony STR-DG820 receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Not quite sure which forum to post this to so if the moderator wants to move it please do.

My setup (all connected through HDMI cables):

Sony STR-DG820 receiver (with full set of 8 speakers)

Sony BDP-S780 blu ray

Sony KLV-46W400A tv

...and I just bought an Epson EH-TW3600 projector

The problem:

When I connect my TV the receiver processes Dolby TrueHD (for example) and I get all the icons highlighted on the amp. When I disconnect from the TV and plug in the projector (using the same cable) the receiver shows it is now processing LPCM, I lose the icons and my additional speakers cease to work (just my sub, centre and front left & right, not my full 7.1 set-up). I cannot get TrueHD to show (still playing the same blu ray disc).

The question:

How do I get full digital sound processing (e.g. True HD) when using my projector (is there a fundamental incompatibility here)?

Regards,

Tim.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I also have a Sony amp. I had this issue with my TV initially, the amp would not process full surround from my bluray. It turns out there is a 'funny' in the software whereby the amp will only output in the format of the connected display (TV is 2 speakers so, only stereo) I found that you have to change it in the TV settings, for my Sony set this meant selecting 'AMP' rather than 'TV' or 'TV & AMP'. Does your PJ have a sound section in the menus, my Panny does. Look there and see if anything seems obvious.

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

I can't find anything in the projector configuration. It has no speakers either, so not really a surprise. I'll try reconfiguring the TV to verify the behaviour but have a nasty feeling this is not looking good...

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
me being plonker - look in your sony :oops: manual on pages 24 & 54, change output to AMP when connecting display and you want amp to do all the sound :oops:

A

Anonymous

Not sure how I didn't see that. Got my hopes up at least. :grin:

Checked the setting and is showed AMP. My hopes were dashed. :cry:

Tried a disc again. It worked. :oops:

Not sure what I did, but just happy to have it working. I'll do some more testing later...

Thanks,

Tim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts