Epos vs Focal vs?

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello, ladies and gents !

I'm currently using a pair of M5 wich I like ,but feeling a bit lacking in the bottom end .Various music , from classic to progresive rock and then to folk and jazz.On some recordings can sound a bit congested in the busy passages (don't know surely if it's the amp or the speakers).Room 3x5 meters.

The amp is a Consonance A100 from Opera Audio (solid state) sources Naim CD5i , vinyl ,Benz Micro MC20E+various other carts/TTs,phonostage CA 640P

What upgrade variants ? Epic 2 ,Elan 15 (not the cheapest variant) ,Focal 807v (? -I could get maybe a good deal on these)Something else up to 700 € ??

Teo said:
Hello, ladies and gents !

I'm currently using a pair of M5 wich I like ,but feeling a bit lacking in the bottom end .Various music , from classic to progresive rock and then to folk and jazz.On some recordings can sound a bit congested in the busy passages (don't know surely if it's the amp or the speakers).Room 3x5 meters.

The amp is a Consonance A100 from Opera Audio (solid state) sources Naim CD5i , vinyl ,Benz Micro MC20E+various other carts/TTs,phonostage CA 640P

What upgrade variants ? Epic 2 ,Elan 15 (not the cheapest variant) ,Focal 807v (? -I could get maybe a good deal on these)Something else up to 700 € ??

Firstly, the Epos M5 are fairly small boxes and this can influence the amount of bottom end oomph you hear, as can speaker positioning and room acoustics. I have only a slightly larger room and I use floorstanders to good effect.

You'll need to dem a few different brands, including compact floorstanders to determine the best compromise.

Before spending shedloads of money check/experiement with positioning.

EDIT - Perhaps the best solution, if experiementing doesn't yield any improvement, will probably look at Epos M12s. heard these a few years ago and sounded wonderful. Can be picked up for about £350 on auction sites, and they are a bigger M5.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes the M12 was on my thoughts , but not shure they provide enough ,maybe the M 16 or the Epic 2 that I can have for the same price (almost) and has bigger cabinet and woofer

Teo said:
Yes the M12 was on my thoughts , but not shure they provide enough ,maybe the M 16 or the Epic 2 that I can have for the same price (almost) and has bigger cabinet and woofer

Yes, Cno is right about Focal: You'll either love'em or turn your nose up, hence why I deliberately avoided mentioning Focal. Personally I like them a lot but they're not for everyone.

As regards the Epics, not heard them.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Teo said:

Yes, Cno is right about Focal: You'll either love'em or turn your nose up, hence why I deliberately avoided mentioning Focal. Personally I like them a lot but they're not for everyone

I heard/read that but , can you be more specific ,please ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IME. Focal are very clean, detailed and fairly forward sounding, with tight, well controlled bass.

Their tweeters take few prisoners, which means they can sound too bright (for my taste), when paired with SS amps with a similar character. I think they work best with Class A / Valves and smooth sounding AB amps.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IME. Focal are very clean, detailed and fairly forward sounding, with tight, well controlled bass.

Their tweeters take few prisoners, which means they can sound too bright (for my taste), when paired with SS amps with a similar character. I think they work best with Class A / Valves and smooth sounding AB amps.

Which kind of makes you wonder what brought Naim and Focal together......... :?

davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:

Which kind of makes you wonder what brought Naim and Focal together......... :?

Gone spookily quite on the Naim/Focal front.

Teo said:
plastic penguin said:
Teo said:

Yes, Cno is right about Focal: You'll either love'em or turn your nose up, hence why I deliberately avoided mentioning Focal. Personally I like them a lot but they're not for everyone

I heard/read that but , can you be more specific ,please ?

Focal are better suited to warmer or smoother sounding amps. Personally I love them with Arcam and Nad, but not familiar with your amp.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Frankly ,didn't listened too many , but I appreciate it's rather somehow neutral : on some cd recordings seems quite bright but on some isn't. When turning to vinyl , it can go very much in the warm bassy side ,I don't need much more bass then , in fact ,not at all.With some records , also.

I think the safest bet would be to go with Epos Elan 15 ,but I'm afraid that the best compromise for my pocket is Epic 2

Teo said:
Frankly ,didn't listened too many , but I appreciate it's rather somehow neutral : on some cd recordings seems quite bright but on some isn't. When turning to vinyl , it can go very much in the warm bassy side ,I don't need much more bass then , in fact ,not at all.With some records , also.

I think the safest bet would be to go with Epos Elan 15 ,but I'm afraid that the best compromise for my pocket is Epic 2

Wise choice if you can't demo other brands: Purchase brands/makes you know and like.

Good luck, PP.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
:shifty: Mmmmmmmmm.......it's possible to get the Focus 807v near mint for some 60% from the discounted price of the Epic 2 ....if the auction works ok :quest:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Teo said:
:shifty: Mmmmmmmmm.......it's possible to get the Focus 807v near mint for some 60% from the discounted price of the Epic 2 ....if the auction works ok :quest:

That's only good value if you like the way they sound.

CnoEvil said:

Hi CnE

I suppose its a good thing that you're using a warm/smooth sounding SS amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:

Hi CnE

I suppose its a good thing that you're using a warm/smooth sounding SS amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

It's also vibrant, dynamic, crystal clear, powerful, exciting, detailed and realistic.....and heats the room on these cold nights. :rockout:

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the Epos ES-11 for 22 years, which was very good with tube-amp! So the M12 will do alright considering bass! The M16 might go deeper as well as the Epic-2, but could be less tight and rythmic! The M5 that you have got is not bad but will be a little short on bass.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Rethep said:
I had the Epos ES-11 for 22 years, which was very good with tube-amp! So the M12 will do alright considering bass! The M16 might go deeper as well as the Epic-2, but could be less tight and rythmic! The M5 that you have got is not bad but will be a little short on bass.

Well ,that's the problem ,yes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts