Epos & NAD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
On the verge of buying a new system for a large room (28' x 17') with 10' ceilings.

I'm going to give a few Epos models an audition, but my local Epos dealer only carries Rega, Cambridge Audio & Primaire amps.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard a set-up with Epos & NAD components...if so, how does it sound?

I don't have a ton of cash to splash on a new set-up and want to spend more on speakers than the amp. So Rega & Primaire are out...and I'm not sure about CA (I like my music warm & hate harsh mids).

The Epos dealer suggested that I go with either M5i or M12i standmounts with a REL sub for my massive living room. He thinks that combo will sound much better than a pair of floorstanders like the M16i...

What are your opinions?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Epos are purported to sound good on NAD...

So did you not like the RS6's and the Mezzos???

A

Anonymous

Still haven't had time to audition the RS6 or Mezzo 6...I hope to hear them before the weekend, though. I'm also going to audition the Totem Rainmakers (would have to buy a sub) and the Epos M5i, M12i & M16i.

I'm hoping to spend less than $800 on my amp so I can spend more on the speakers ($1500 ish).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="brock_boogie"]
The Epos dealer suggested that I go with either M5i or M12i standmounts with a REL sub for my massive living room. He thinks that combo will sound much better than a pair of floorstanders like the M16i...

What are your opinions?

[/quote]

Thats a big room you have there and although the larger Eposes could well be enough to drive your room with an adequately powerful amplifier you may find, as suggested by your dealer, that a separate sub with perhaps the larger 12.2i's will give better results. Unpredictable and you have to insist on a home trial.

Another option you may consider if your dealer stocks Rega is the brands R3 or perhaps R5 with a rega brio, the best amplifier in regas range and perfectly matched to their speakers. Dont be put off by the relatively 'low' power rating. It goes loud easely and has good reserves for when it counts! Better than any affordable NAD i've heard.

A

Anonymous

Do you think the M5i will be enough (with a sub) for the room? Or will the M12i be a better bet. Also, would you still get a Rega amp with the Epos? Can you suggest any other amps (I could go the used route & wait for something to come along) that are reasonably priced & would suit the Epos?

I'm a little worried about incorporating a sub into the mix. It's an open concept loft that's really 45' x 17, but there's a 12' wall dividing up the space into 2 areas (our bedroom is behind the wall...there are two 30" openings on either side of the wall). Long story short...I won't have the luxury of placing the sub in a corner...and I won't be able to place it too far behind the speakers. Do you think a sub would be ideal, or should I save for better floorstanders?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

A good sub with a nice wide range paired with good speakers will probably do a better job in your space with your budget. But this placement conundrum complicates things a bit.

There must be some place to stick the box though???

A

Anonymous

I can put it against the wall, right next to the entertainment unit (media unit) and place the standmounts slightly in front. Here's a floorplan of the new place so you can see where the wall is situated and the placement possibilities:

floorplan_whathifi.jpg

A

Anonymous

Wow that's a nice place man...

Okay well it comes down to your speaker selection... Now I strongly recommend a speaker that will get you to that 40Hz neighbourhood. (That's the rainmaker just squeaking in, rs6, mezzo, BW 683, but excludes the eposes.) I don't have to tell you that if el subbo is only working with the lower frequencies it's placement isn't so key. I think if you're cutting the sub off at say.. 38-42Hz you can get away with funky placement and not notice it (hopefully). If that works you can just sneak it behind a sofa maybe? Or better yet next to one of those pillars (I'm assuming the black rectangles on the left are pillars). It's hard to say, sub placement almost always ends up being a trial and error make-it-work sort of game. Regardless I'd say you should try to get your speakers to that 40Hz zone.

A

Anonymous

Those are indeed pillars. However, my hi fi components will be placed in the entertainment unit, where the TV is in the floorplan, so placing a sub near a pillar or near the coach will be pretty tough. I have no way to hide the wires (exposed concrete ceiling & no walls to run cable through).

Another question would be, how much would I piss off the neighbours below me if I had the sub on for loud music listening?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Depends on the construction. Jump up and down on the floor. Does it make a resonant noise? If so, you better get good at the apology letters (either that or invite them round for parties so they won't notice)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts