Entry Level HIFI audio for living room TV set

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I am looking for an entry level audio for my living room. Particular for 2 speakers that will sit on a TV stand, on the sides of 46inch Samsung TV. The usages are HD movies and video games. My sofa is about 2.5-3 meters from the TV. My budget (for now 800$).What can you suggest? Should I go with “Powered” Speakers? Or better to go with regular speakers + receiver? OR maye I should skip both and choose sound bar?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how exchange rates would work out and whether this is in-budget, but another alternative would be Yamaha's NX-N500. This is a powered speaker that adds a lot of functionality that may be useful to you.

Whatever speakers you decide to go for, make sure you get some kind of stand or foam wedge underneath to stop the speaker resonating your cabinet. I use Auralex mopads for my centre speaker. They make a big difference.

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Leeps said:
Not sure how exchange rates would work out and whether this is in-budget, but another alternative would be Yamaha's NX-N500. This is a powered speaker that adds a lot of functionality that may be useful to you.

Whatever speakers you decide to go for, make sure you get some kind of stand or foam wedge underneath to stop the speaker resonating your cabinet. I use Auralex mopads for my centre speaker. They make a big difference.

Really a stand/foar?
Even for qacoustics small speakers?

oivavoi10

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
If you want to have most value for your money, I would have gone the active route. It's going to be hard to beat the sound quality you can get from two decent active monitors in that price range. Some options might be:

- Adam A5X

- AVI DM5

- JBL LSR 308

- EVE SC 205

- Behringer B2031A

- Kef X300

- Genelec G One

etc

If I were you I would try to audition some of these speakers/monitors, and just see if any of them are to your liking.

Good luck!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
No head banging required.

If you are only using yout TV and gaming units and these have output, powered monitors make more sense, in that they are neater and have the amplification built in, so less wiring and a unit less.

I have no idea the best in your price range but the above poster has given loads of examples. You can be certain that in your budget you can get a great set that will have plenty power

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
muljao said:

If you are only using yout TV and gaming units and these have output, powered monitors make more sense, in that they are neater and have the amplification built in, so less wiring and a unit less.

I have no idea the best in your price range but the above poster has given loads of examples. You can be certain that in your budget you can get a great set that will have plenty power

My concern with powered speakers, that I won't be able to upgrade in a future if I decide to upgrade, or switch to 5.1 and etc

oivavoi10

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Yevgeny Shsh said:
muljao said:

My concern with powered speakers, that I won't be able to upgrade in a future if I decide to upgrade, or switch to 5.1 and etc

That's partly accurate, and partly inaccurate. It's accurate that you won't be able to change your amplifier. But it's important to be aware that loudspeakers are far more important for sound quality than everything else in the hifi chain. So even if you change your amplifier, you will still be stuck with the basic sound of your speakers. Sure, a better amplifier or a better dac might give you some improvements, but the differences are never going to be as fundamental as chaning speakers.

Concerning 5.1., that's no problem. You just need a surround-receiver that has "pre-outs" in addition to loudspeaker terminals. Almost all of yamahas entry level receivers have that option. So there's no problem at all using powered speakers for a surround-setup.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Loads of them

Marantz pm 6005 (this has been superceeded by pm6006 so you might get it cheap)

Yamaha a-s501

Cambridege audio cxa60 (might be more expensive),

3 to initially check out

Though you might be better buying an av receiver and using it in stereo mode, then if you decide to go 5.1, you could just add speakers

TRENDING THREADS