Entry Level amplifier

Mick-Myster

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks in advance for reading my first post. I'm just getting into vinyl after getting an Ion air LP turntable as a Christmas present.

I have since got a pair of Roth OLi RA2 bookshelf speakers to go with after reading some decent reviews for speakers of this price range.

All I need now is an amplifier. Could anyone recommend a decent entry level amp up to around 150 price mark. Or even some decent second hand ones I should keep my eye out for in the same price range?

Cheers,

Mick

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'm sure whoever bought your Christmas present thought they were doing you a good deed, but the Ion Air really is a heap of steaming shite that will never sound good. The £150 you're going to blow on an amp would have been better expended on a turntable like a Project Elemental, while the £100 that bought your Ion Air would have bought any number of decent used amps easily good enough for both the Project and the Roths.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings. But someone had to say it in order to manage your expectations when you finally plug everything up and say "what the f##k?".

Perhaps Mick-Myster should show this to the gift-giver: they may be so pleased they'll buy him an amplifier, too.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure whoever bought your Christmas present thought they were doing you a good deed, but the Ion Air really is a heap of steaming shite that will never sound good. The £150 you're going to blow on an amp would have been better expended on a turntable like a Project Elemental, while the £100 that bought your Ion Air would have bought any number of decent used amps easily good enough for both the Project and the Roths.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings. But someone had to say it in order to manage your expectations when you finally plug everything up and say "what the f##k?".

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Perhaps Mick-Myster should show this to the gift-giver: they may be so pleased they'll buy him an amplifier, too.

They will have bought it with the best intentions, but through no one's fault except honest ignorance, the expenditure here is arse about face, and the results are never going to be anything but disappointing. There's no tactful way to break that to someone unfortunately.

Mick-Myster

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice on amplifiers David. And no need to be tactful MajorFubar, I'm a great believer in telling it how it is. I work as an engineer and there's not enough time in the day to be beating around the bush! However, on this occasion I will be keeping this from my girlfriend as I don't think she will have the same understanding.

It did strike me as quite cheaply built and light. I might see if I can flog it second hand and jump to the project elemental straight away. It is a start though and when I do upgrade at least I will better understand the increase in quality.

Thanks for the responses though, exactly what I was after.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Mick-Myster said:
It did strike me as quite cheaply built and light. I might see if I can flog it second hand and jump to the project elemental straight away. It is a start though and when I do upgrade at least I will better understand the increase in quality.
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for reading my original posts the right way, there was never any intention to offend.

Between you and your GF you'll have spent about £350; more's the pity you didn't rock up here with an empty basket and £350 in your pocket asking what was the best way of spending it on a vinyl-based system of turntable/amp/speakers. But we are where we are. Like you say, at least you you now know when you are able to buy something like the Project you're going to get an infinitely better performance.

MajorFubar said:
Mick-Myster said:
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for reading my original posts the right way, there was never any intention to offend.

Between you and your GF you'll have spent about £350; more's the pity you didn't rock up here with an empty basket and £350 in your pocket asking what was the best way of spending it on a vinyl-based system of turntable/amp/speakers. But we are where we are. Like you say, at least you you now know when you are able to buy something like the Project you're going to get an infinitely better performance.

Hear, hear. Sometimes speaking the truth on forums can end in a nasty backlash. Well done Major.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts