Elicit R & Brio R phono stages

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Had this reply back from Paul Darwin, Rega.

Quite surprised that the Fono MK2 is better than the Elicit R phono!

I have now had the definitive explanation from the designer, Terry Bateman, that the Brio R and Elicit R are fundamentally the same phono stages, but the Fono MM is rather different giving a better performance than either of the embedded / included phono stages.

The reasons form this would be subject to pages of technical stuff, but for reasons of brevity I will not include here !!

Best regards,

PD

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Yea there amps use the same components as the fono mini, why spend more than 10% on just the amps phono stage.

ok i just just made that up but then again it could well be true, I can't see them redesigning special phono stages, order different components, etc. just for there amps, or the other way, is there budget phono stage taken from there amps?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They may or may not (share the same components) but just having the stage isolated from the rest of the amplifier, with its own power supply, lay -out, enclosure, shielding, ground and interconnect will likely yield different results, for better or worse.

regards

MrRibbits

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
New here to the forums, and just happened to see this post. This is really surprising ! I have an Elicit-R and the half width Rega DAC, but I'm heading to my local shop on Saturday to pick up my very first turntable (RP3).

I hope the phono stage in the Elicit-R is of sufficient quality for my RP3. I can't imagine it's not, especially since the RP3 with Elys 2 cartridge isn't their high end stuff anyway.

Hopefully it will be fine, and if I ever get an RP6 or RP8 I'll budget for an Aria phono stage :grin:

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there a contradiction in these two statements, both from Rega:

1. "Brio R and Elicit R are fundamentally the same phono stages"

2. "The Elex-R is a sublime blend of the Brio-R design with the power circuits and advanced phono stage of the Elicit-R"

stevebrock said:
The phono in the Elcit is the same as the Brio

Whether or not they are the same appears to be a tad irrelevent when running a cheapish moving magnet. The phono stages in either amp are 'sufficient'.

I wouldn't bother buying an external phono preamp unless you forsse yourself upgrading to a low-output moving coil in the futre.

(Yes I know this is an old post re-invigorated) :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
stevebrock said:

Whether or not they are the same appears to be a tad irrelevent when running a cheapish moving magnet. The phono stages in either amp are 'sufficient'.

I wouldn't bother buying an external phono preamp unless you forsse yourself upgrading to a low-output moving coil in the futre.

I am in agreement Al

MrRibbits

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
stevebrock said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. It confirms my suspicions that the Elicit 2 cartridge is "a cheapish mm" and the phono stage in the elicit-r will be "sufficient". Still disappointed that they didn't put an improved phono stage in the elicit-r, that thing wasn't cheap.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Opamp based simple phono stages are expected and age old standard in British budget integrateds. Yes Rega Elicit-R is budget integrated, so is Leema Pulse, Naim XS, Roksan Caspian etc. The Brio-R is entry level budget integrated.

MrRibbits said:
Al ears said:
stevebrock said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. It confirms my suspicions that the Elicit 2 cartridge is "a cheapish mm" and the phono stage in the elicit-r will be "sufficient". Still disappointed that they didn't put an improved phono stage in the elicit-r, that thing wasn't cheap.

Not quite too sure which one you meant to quote but the Elicit 2 is not a Rega Cartridge. (Did you mean Exact or Elys?)

MrRibbits

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
[/quote]

Not quite too sure which one you meant to quote but the Elicit 2 is not a Rega Cartridge. (Did you mean Exact or Elys?)

[/quote]

Oops, yeah just typo, I meant the Elys 2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts