Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I've been experiencing some sort of hum from my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC). I don't know if it has always been there, but the last week I've been playing at a louder volume level than before because I got a new amp *biggrin*

It's not constant, but the hum increases when i bring the arm towards the center. It isn't motor hum, since it also occurs when it's not spinning.

I've tried changed the cables, checked the gound, even changed my mains block, but nothing seems to work.
It does stop completely when I disconnect the power to my turntable. The hum is only slightly audbile when I touch the outer connection (negative?) from the power supply *scratch_one-s_head*

Could this be a faulty PSU or is it more likely a grounding issue?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Christophe Saelens said:
Hi,

I've been experiencing some sort of hum from my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC). I don't know if it has always been there, but the last week I've been playing at a louder volume level than before because I got a new amp *biggrin*

It's not constant, but the hum increases when i bring the arm towards the center. It isn't motor hum, since it also occurs when it's not spinning.

I've tried changed the cables, checked the gound, even changed my mains block, but nothing seems to work.It does stop completely when I disconnect the power to my turntable. The hum is only slightly audbile when I touch the outer connection (negative?) from the power supply *scratch_one-s_head*

Could this be a faulty PSU or is it more likely a grounding issue?

Does it hum when it's not grounded?

This isn't rare with a turntable. The cartridge acts like an aerial for any stray noise, and as it nears the centre spindle it is nearer the motor.

Can you hear the buzz at your typical loudest volume settting, but from your listening position - not ear to speaker? If so, it needs to be fixed. If you still have your previous amp, does it do it on that if you reconnect?

The new amp might simply have much more gain (volume), or did you disturb any other wiring? Try to keep all mains leads away from signal cable, and if they must cross, do so at right angles.

The guys from importer, Henley, do read this forum, and might suggest something else to try.

Hope that helps a bit.

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi nopiano,

My previous turntable also has a bit of a hum when I turned up the amp really really loud, but nowhere near as bad.

I've hooked up my old amp, turned the volume up to comparable levels, and it has the same issue. The hum is quite noticable from my listening position.

I have tried everything with the cables, I've even moved my pre-amp next to the turntable and connected the pre-amp to the amp around the front, so nothing could interfere with the signal. No luck *sad*

I was hoping for something I could easily fix myself, since I don't really feel like sending in turntable since it is my main source for music.

Christophe Saelens said:
Hi nopiano,

My previous turntable also has a bit of a hum when I turned up the amp really really loud, but nowhere near as bad.

I've hooked up my old amp, turned the volume up to comparable levels, and it has the same issue. The hum is quite noticable from my listening position.

I have tried everything with the cables, I've even moved my pre-amp next to the turntable and connected the pre-amp to the amp around the front, so nothing could interfere with the signal. No luck *sad*

I was hoping for something I could easily fix myself, since I don't really feel like sending in turntable since it is my main source for music.
Ok, so we've eliminated the new amp or higher listening levels as the cause. That means something has happened to your turntable or preamp.

Are the cartridge tags all connected correctly? You haven't accidentally touched the wires and caused two to touch? And the hum is constant, not crackling?

Has the signal lead from TT to preamp been tugged in the change of amp? Maybe the shield has come adrift? Or from pre to amp? That seems most likely to me, but these things are hard to diagnose at a distance.

Not sure I can help much more, sorry

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
No problem, all help is appreciated :)

I've also switched inteconnecets, so those can be ruled out.

Checked the connections at the cartridge and all seems fine.

My guess is that some electricity is leaking from the motor or something like that, because i only get the hum when the psu is connected. When disconnected, it is absolutely dead silent.

Christophe Saelens said:
No problem, all help is appreciated :)

I've also switched inteconnecets, so those can be ruled out.

Checked the connections at the cartridge and all seems fine.

My guess is that some electricity is leaking from the motor or something like that, because i only get the hum when the psu is connected. When disconnected, it is absolutely dead silent.
All motors will create a noise field, but it shouldn't be so noticeable by your cartridge that you hear it. I suppose something on the motor may have failed or broken down? Some sort of component that regulates the voltage, for example.

If you are in the uk i suggest you call the importer, Henley.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Christophe,

If you're in the UK then as NP suggests above please get in contact with us.

It sounds like an issue I've seen once before on one of these decks, there is a mod that can eliminate the hum but it would need to visit us as an outpatient for a small operation. This of course can be done under warranty.

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I finally was able to fix the hum!

I've been experimenting some more and there was no doubt left that it was an electrical hum, and not the tonearm or its wiring.
Apparently, the motor and the electronics aren't connected the the ground like the tonearm is. So I've soldered a ground cable to the motor, and one to the electronics on the one side, and soldered it to the ground connector on the other side, and gues what? The hum is completely gone! *yahoo*

I can still here it slightly when I turn my amp up to maximum volume, but just under maximum volume it is dead silent *biggrin*

Thanks everyone for helping me isolate the cause!

Christophe Saelens said:
I finally was able to fix the hum!

I've been experimenting some more and there was no doubt left that it was an electrical hum, and not the tonearm or its wiring.Apparently, the motor and the electronics aren't connected the the ground like the tonearm is. So I've soldered a ground cable to the motor, and one to the electronics on the one side, and soldered it to the ground connector on the other side, and gues what? The hum is completely gone! *yahoo*

I can still here it slightly when I turn my amp up to maximum volume, but just under maximum volume it is dead silent *biggrin*

Thanks everyone for helping me isolate the cause!

Glad to hear that, or rather not when it comes to the hum ;-) I fear I have a similar problem that needs addressing if only I can work out how to actually get into my turntables internals .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Great work. No disrespect to Henley, but when I hear of problems like this which can be fixed easily with better earthing, and I see the shocking way the antiskate has been designed with the result we get people coming on here to complain the line drops off every time they sneeze, it makes me wonder just how poorly designed these things actually are. And none of the Debut turntables are exactly cheap any more, so much so that for a good number of years they have been undercut in Pro-Ject's range by cheaper models. So price is no excuse.

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I agree, it's the little things that make the difference between a good and a great turntable. If these things can be avoided with €1 worth of material, I wonder why they don't fit it at the factory.

My previous turntable was a Thorens TD203, and that one had problems with the workmanship and design-issues too. It sounded good, but some things annoyed me too much and I sold it.

The platter was uneven (and not a little bit), the tonearm finish was damaged quite soon where it made contact with the support, and the rca cables, which were attached and couldn't be replaced, were the cheapest you could find. Just fit some decent rca-connectors so people can decide for themselves what cables they want.

I do think the ProJect's workmanship is better, but it does some some design-issues like MajorFubar says. Luckily the grounding was an easy fix., but you shouldn't have to deal with these problems...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts