Effective (and preferably cheap) rigid turntable stand/table.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As an alternative to 'butchering' a wall by fitting a turntable wall support, I am looking for light, rigid, floorstanding turntable tables or small hifi shelf units.

Problem is that what I want does not seem to exist. I looked at Quadraspire and other brands and they are all far too expensive and bigger than what I need, and a lot are made from glass (no thanks.)

Vibration is not an issue (solid concrete floor).

What ever happened to those little Sound Organisation tables?

Any ideas?

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I use one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6103561/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|10197552/c_2/2|cat_10197552|Living+room+furniture|10197807/c_3/3|cat_10197807|Entertainment+cabinets+and+units|10197811.htm

... just as good as my expensive rack which emigrated to the garage. You can dis-assemble these things so make a one tier stand or add other units to it. The legs are fillable with sand or whatever you have at hand. Smaller sizes available too if your tt is less than full size. Also available with glass shelfs I think. Hope this helps.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... sorry, I've changed to firefox since internet explorer 7 slowed to a crawl on my pc and ever since I can't insert pictures or links. I'll update my previous posting once I've figured out whats wrong. Meanwhile, if you go to Argos/Entertainment units/Verona Beech unit £18.99 you should find it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok I went to page source and did a find on 'Argos' and copied pasted. Thanks.

Argos Verona link..

Yes looks ok. It is only 40cm deep so I have to go and check what the Rega P3 dimensions are to see if it is going to overhang the unit front and back but looks good.

A

Anonymous

I have one of these family of stands which accommodates my games consoles. I have to say though that I wouldn't want my turntable on it. Those grey legs are actually made of cheapo plastic, and couldn't be described as rigid. Cheap and cheerful, but you kind of get what you pay for.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... and I'd say those cheap hollow plastic legs probably transfer vibrations less than rigid metal ones even if they are not filled. I agree that for a tt it is beneficial to have a support that is completely decoupled from floorboards/suspended floors but if you have a rigid concrete base it'll hardly matter and for anything else ... I can't hear a difference whatsoever and I like to think my hearing is ok. Hey, for twenty quid you can hardly loose anything.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For now I am going to get an Ikea Lack table...

57547_PE163129_S3.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40104270

Just the right dimensions and looks rigid enough to cope. I may even fit some levelling spikes on the legs.

And then save up for something nice.

T

the record spot

chebby:For now I am going to get an Ikea Lack table...

57547_PE163129_S3.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40104270

Just the right dimensions and looks rigid enough to cope. I may even fit some levelling spikes on the legs.

And then save up for something nice.

A good purchase; £8? Good start. Spend another tenner and get a granite chopping board from Tesco (or similar supermarket) and you have a cheap and highly effective isolation platform. Put some squash balls on other means of support under the board for it to rest on (I use castor covers myself, but plan to upgrade those soon) and you have a DIY isolation system for less than £20.

Townshend Seismic Sink? Chuh...!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes the Ikea Table comes in 'natural' or Black or Red and is made out of MDF. Not sure about chopping boards and squash balls. All sounds a bit 'squidjy'. I have a concrete floor and I will keep the deck out of the firing line of the speakers so I don't think vibration is going to be an issue. The reason I thought of spikes was as a means of getting the table perfectly level and also so it is not standing on a carpet. I prefer (and I think Rega do to) the rigid approach.

Eventually the deck will go on a Rega (or Project) wall mount but I do not want to do that yet.

A

Anonymous

Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody had any idea if an Aragon poweramp was still worth anything ? it's the Aragon2004 model from about 1990.. looking to move to a small place in london and not really needed..speaking of which.. saw a piece in the telegraph about a web site called zupedpi which breaks down crime in london ... good to see where to move to !!! looks like Chelsea then !! any advice on the Aragon would be kind. thanks..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts