I have a nice, old (not sure exactly which year, but I think somewhere between 1978 and 1989) Rega Planar 3 with an RB300 arm. The reason I moved away from it originally was for the convenience of switchable speed. Looking at the current range, I see Rega now have the TT-PSU out which allows electronic speed change. I gather, however, that this won't work with my older machine, leaving me with a couple of choices...

1] Buy a new Rega Planar 3 2016 model, and add the TT-PSU

2] Buy a new Rega Planar 1 or 2 with Performance Pack, and add the TT-PSU

I well understand that the new 3 is a significant upgrade from the model I have, but what about the 1 & 2?

In particular, I'm wondering whether the added benefits the TT PSU offers over the onboard improvements of the Planar 3 over the 1 or 2 means that if I'm gonig to buy one of these, there's no point gonig up to the new Planar 3 to partner with it, and I should just save that money (i.e. a Planar 2 and the TTPSU will cost the same, roughly, as a PLanar 3 alone). Would I be right that the biggest difference that would then leave between the 2 and the 3 would be the arm? I've also considered transplanting my existing tt's RB300 into a new 1 or 2. Would that offer a significant upgrade worth the hassle, or would I be fitting an arm less well matched to the TT than the standard one?

FWIW, I could probably stretch to £700 for this, all-in, but I'd rather spend closer to £500! The system I am building is replacing a stack system my parents bout me for my eighteenth in 1992... I would like to think that this new system will last at least another 24 years without me changing tts. Not worried about what is better in temrs of what can technically be measured.... I've never been a fan of paying for improvements in sound that can't be heard with the human ear...

All steers gratefully received!

Edward Marlowe said:
I have a nice, old (not sure exactly which year, but I think somewhere between 1978 and 1989) Rega Planar 3 with an RB300 arm. The reason I moved away from it originally was for the convenience of switchable speed. Looking at the current range, I see Rega now have the TT-PSU out which allows electronic speed change. I gather, however, that this won't work with my older machine, leaving me with a couple of choices...

1] Buy a new Rega Planar 3 2016 model, and add the TT-PSU

2] Buy a new Rega Planar 1 or 2 with Performance Pack, and add the TT-PSU

I well understand that the new 3 is a significant upgrade from the model I have, but what about the 1 & 2?

In particular, I'm wondering whether the added benefits the TT PSU offers over the onboard improvements of the Planar 3 over the 1 or 2 means that if I'm gonig to buy one of these, there's no point gonig up to the new Planar 3 to partner with it, and I should just save that money (i.e. a Planar 2 and the TTPSU will cost the same, roughly, as a PLanar 3 alone). Would I be right that the biggest difference that would then leave between the 2 and the 3 would be the arm? I've also considered transplanting my existing tt's RB300 into a new 1 or 2. Would that offer a significant upgrade worth the hassle, or would I be fitting an arm less well matched to the TT than the standard one?

FWIW, I could probably stretch to £700 for this, all-in, but I'd rather spend closer to £500! The system I am building is replacing a stack system my parents bout me for my eighteenth in 1992... I would like to think that this new system will last at least another 24 years without me changing tts. Not worried about what is better in temrs of what can technically be measured.... I've never been a fan of paying for improvements in sound that can't be heard with the human ear...

All steers gratefully received!

So just how many times do you switch discs that need a speed change? Do you have a problem taking the platter off and moving belt on the pulley?

If you do then don't blow money on another deck as the the Planar 3 is a classic

If you really must have an electronic speed change the save up and buy the Origin Live upgrade kit, it will take your deck to a whole new level both sonically and functionally.

I suppose it's a comibination of laziness, and when I had this set up before, I always worried that at some point I'll do something stupid-clumsy like drop the platter. Also thought I'd stretch the belt unduly by switching it by hand, but I guess that's no bigger a danger than a machine doing it. Happy with the deck as is sound-wise, through a Pioneer SX890, so it certainly makes sense to stick with it. If I ever find the switching too much, I might even look at picking up a decent budget deck just for the 45s, and setting that up via a phono stage to the Tape 1 input. It's what I'd originally considered way back, but then I disappeared down the rabbit holed looking at direct drives.... To answer your question, it is mostly LPs I would spin, though I'll occasionally spend an afternoon with some 45s. I guess that really isn't much switching over, especially once I get as far as having FLAC digital back-ups of my 45s. Thanks, much appreciated. :)

paul darwin said:
Hi Edward,

You could consider having your dealer fit the new 24v motor kit to your Planar TT at a cost of £129 which would then allow you to add the TTPSU £198 coming in comfortably under your £500 budget.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Not a bad idea as this is manufacturer specific and slightly cheaper than Origin Live equivalent that I suggested earlier.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi Edward,

You could consider having your dealer fit the new 24v motor kit to your Planar TT at a cost of £129 which would then allow you to add the TTPSU for £198 coming in comfortably under your £500 budget.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Hi Edward,

You could consider having your dealer fit the new 24v motor kit to your Planar TT at a cost of £129 which would then allow you to add the TTPSU for £198 coming in comfortably under your £500 budget.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research
The OP didn't mention which cart he has, so the potential for an upgrade there with the left over funds - plus a bit *smile*

Freddy58 said:
paul darwin said:
Hi Edward,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research
The OP didn't mention which cart he has, so the potential for an upgrade there with the left over funds - plus a bit *smile*

Yip - good suggestion. I'm a big advocate of better carts.

Whew..... managed to find my way back in.... (I'm signed in with Farcebook, but for the alst couple of weeks - and even now - the WHF system doesn't seem to want to let social-network sign-ins be available?).
paul darwin said:
Hi Edward,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research
Thanks, Paul. I think I probably will go for the motor upgrade. Having done a lot of looking around at options and trying to parse out what actually improves sound as distinct from what simply makes it different, I think this is the list of what I need to do: 1] Cartridge. (Obvs!). I don't recall what was on it before, nor can I find it - something cheap. I'm looking at the Rega Elys 2 (I think? The blue one, around £120). It's about the most I'm comfortable spending on one just for now, plus it having been designed specifically for the RB300, which my TT has, is attractive. 2] The white belt - I'll probably do this asap too, as I don't know the age of the belt in there... 3] Record clamp & Aluminium subplatter.... On the latter, are the Groovetracers really as superior as some reviews suggest? £200 seems a lot.... I've seen others from £50 upwards. Will probably also add an alu knob on the top of the motor in place of the plastic one I think is currently on there (in the office, tt not in front of me now...). 4] Once that's all up and running, the next / final phase (unless or until I need to change the cartridge) will be the combo of switching out the motor for a 24v, and the Rega Silent Base. I've looked at a lot of other idea with the plinth and the platter, but I've decided to stick to what I have stock on those, as they're part of the Rega character. I looked at some of the available upgrade options, but figured if I went for the new plinth and so on that Inspire offer, I might as well be looking instesd at a whole different table. The Silent Bass seems to be a decent compromise without going ott. This should all come in under budget, if I don't get carried away with the subplatter.... I was considering also having it professionally seen to at stage 4 (and the installation done of that) so I don't stuff anything up as a novice.... I gather a basic Rega service in London is about £35 - anyone any idea how much more it would cost to have this fitting done? If it's hundreds, I'll try myself, but if it's not much more, then I'll at least know it's all 'right' to start with....

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
The Goldring 1042 is, apparently, quite well regarded by other Planar 3/RB300 users, and I'm very happy with my Nagaoka MP110. though I'd like to upgrade to an MP200 when funds allow. If your deck still has its original motor, then it'll benefit from a new one, plus TTPSU upgrade at some time. Have you got a Rega dealer accessible, for a demo?

I do have my own suspicions that a new Planar 3/RB330, with a good cartridge, may be a cheaper option and be a very acceptable long term solution than upgrading your own trying to achieve the same quality sound. I have heard that the new Planar 3 is virtually as good as an RP6?

A difficult quandary.

Hunting around, the 2016 model PLanar 3 seems to be more or less a standard price of £625 with an Elys 2 cartridge, so it really would depend. I have £150 in the existing table (bought used in 2008), so it all depends how much I were to spend, I think. The new motor is around £129, the Rega silent base £120, a cartridge let's say £120, and a white belt £20. So that would have me at.... £389 plus the original £150, which is £539. Whether it went over the 625 would depend on what I did with the subplatter - there seem to be upgrade options between £50, and £200. That is, of course, assuming I wouldn't want to do any of the non-motor upgrades to the P3 - i.e. the silent base and the subplatter (I think it comes with a white belt?). If those were worth doing, then that would obviously escalate the price of the new 3 much above the £625. Is there anyone out there with a new 3 that has a view on upgrades? (I know at a certain point you might as well just buy a more expensive TT to begin with, but....). I'm keen on the concept of the silent base, but do you need to have dogears to be able to hear the difference?

FWIW... the TT will ultimately be going through a c1978 Pioneer sx890 (refurbed and serviced to high standard), and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2s. It's going to be a few months before I can get it all set up properly (owing to a home redecoration programme), but I'm doing the research now so that when I'm ready to go, I'm ready to go. I have a lot of vinyl pining away for not having felt the needle in a long time....

To add.....

One thing that does make the new model very appealling over the one I currently have is the apparent improvement to the platter and the plinth - elements of my existing TT I hadn't planned to upgrade (I know a lot of folks are into plinth upgrades and switching to an acrylic platter, but those seemed to me to be about changing sound rather than improving sound/performance.) I wonder if there's a difference there worth paying out for. I think ,looking on eBay, I should be able to get my money back just fine for the existing TT if I go that way, so that would put the new one at £475ish, plus any changes....

Yes, I think that's what I need to do, really. If it is as much improved as all the reviews I can fin,d itg seems to make sense.

One other question on the Silent Base.... would it still be worth it if I was to buy the Rega shelf for wallmount, or would the 24v motor and shelf-mounting iron out the advantages that the Silent Base is meant to impart?

Edward Marlowe said:
Yes, I think that's what I need to do, really. If it is as much improved as all the reviews I can fin,d itg seems to make sense.

One other question on the Silent Base.... would it still be worth it if I was to buy the Rega shelf for wallmount, or would the 24v motor and shelf-mounting iron out the advantages that the Silent Base is meant to impart?

Pretty sure that if you are going to wall mount the Silent Base becomes pretty redundant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts