Edge of Darkness..Mel vs tall actors ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just watched and for the most part enjoyed the bluray of Edge of Darkness

One scene in particular struck me as odd, when Craven (Mel) meets the Senator at his home..Mel looks tiny in the opening to the scene, it reminded me of the trickery used with Gandolf and Frodo in the rings movies, in fact there are a few scenes with Mel looking tiny next to other actors ( Ray Winstone aside )

Is this a stylistic device used by the director ? Or should i drink tea whilst watching movies instead of Stella ?

Anyone else noticed this ?

A

Anonymous

watched the dvd a few weeks back , didnt like it at all tbh , there was one scene that nearly frightened the life out of me , when mel is talking with his daughters friend in the car , i had the volume pretty high , and was nearly asleep when this other car slammed into mels
emotion-3.gif
, just wasnt expecting it ... ,

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:watched the dvd a few weeks back , didnt like it at all tbh , there was one scene that nearly frightened the life out of me , when mel is talking with his daughters friend in the car , i had the volume pretty high , and was nearly asleep when this other car slammed into mels
emotion-3.gif

Ever since the bus scene in Final Destination, that's an increasingly popular way to dispatch someone in movies. Nobody's beaten F.D for sheer jump-out-of-your-skin shock yet though.
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

I've just read a eonline review for "Edge" and it says it's the first film for years thats not tried to disguise Mels true height

There.. mystery solved

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:there was one scene that nearly frightened the life out of me , when mel is talking with his daughters friend in the car , i had the volume pretty high , and was nearly asleep when this other car slammed into mels
emotion-3.gif

Me too - jumped out of my skin. The bit where his daughter gets shot too, all happened a bit quickly for my liking.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JamesOK:The bit where his daughter gets shot too, all happened a bit quickly for my liking.

I think that was the point. Mind you, watching the film did encourage me to get out the DVD set of the original, which is so much better...

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

JamesOK:The bit where his daughter gets shot too, all happened a bit quickly for my liking.

I think that was the point. Mind you, watching the film did encourage me to get out the DVD set of the original, which is so much better...

Pobably the best TV drama of that decade. The brilliant and much under rated Bob Peck. Gripping and thought provoking, the mediocre remake comes nowhere near it.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Oh, I didnt even know there was an original!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
tvmog:Andrew Everard:

Pobably the best TV drama of that decade. The brilliant and much under rated Bob Peck. Gripping and thought provoking, the mediocre remake comes nowhere near it.

Totally agree, was not overly impressed with the film but the TV series in a gem. I will be getting the BBC DVD without delay!!

A

Anonymous

Just watched it last night and have to agree with most of the posts...yes the hit and run scene scared the beejeezus out of me, Mel is very short and has a weird walk in that scene with the senator, especially when he turns and walks down the hall !! But also I thought Ray Winston's part was terribly under-written and lacking substance...??

Also made me remember the brilliance of the original...so altogether not great but not the worst I've seen lately...That would be Australia (with Nicole Kidman) what a load of tosh !!!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

51HXK3GG2WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

£3.97 at Amazon.

Just received my copy from amazon..what a bargain! I didn't realise Martin Campbell directed both versions.......I hate to moan about the film version too much as it will always look rushed compared to the TV version being nearly twice as long. Still, I prefer Bob Pecks portrayal of Craven to Mel Gibsons (think Bob was taller!)

A

Anonymous

Watched this last night, have to agree Mel looks tiny in it. Maybe it was to signify the whole 'little man' taking on the big corp thing ?? Also seriously annoying accent from ol' Gibbo!! It should also carry a warning ''Dont watch too loud as may cause heart failure''

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts