eBay muppets thread......

lex365

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I buy and sell on eBay a lot and have witnessed the unbelievable a few a fair few times over the years. Recent highlights would be an immaculate pair of Dali Rubicon 2's sell for £500 and my own Dali Optican 2's for £245 (Optican 2's according to the listing) with £50 worth of Chord speaker cable in the box. I also picked up two pairs of Atacama speaker stands for £100 and sold the spare pair for £96.04.

Does anyone else have an eBay muppet success stories?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I bought a brand new Nikon Coolscan V neg. scanner once.

I scanned all my negs over a two year period during which the scanner was discontinued by Nikon (with no replacement model).

Consequently the value of used ones shot up and I sold mine for a nice profit :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can't think of anything I've really made much of a profit on. About 12 years ago before film cameras were only of interest to collectors, I listed a near-mint Olympus OM-1N camera + accessories with a £50 start, Buy It Now of £150 and no reserve, Those familiar with eBay rules will know that on items without a reserve, the Buy It Now disappears as soon someone makes the opening bid. Within a couple of days someone made the £50 opening bid, and so I expected it wouldn't bring more than about £100. However I was surprised to see it sell for the decent sum of £201 after about two dozen bids. The bizarre twist to the tale though is that it sold to the very same bidder who chose to place the original £50 bid, in the process wiping out my BIN which was £51 cheaper than what he would ultimately pay.

Paul.

I did really well off a Michell Focus One with a funky platter, bought for £50 and sold for £300 ish (forget exactly how much).

I also bought a set of Mondeo ST24 "turbine" alloys, freshly refurbed. Needed some cheap wheels to put winter tires on and they were the right size. After a few consecutive mild winters I put them back on eBay having never put tires on them, bought £48 and sold for £150.

My favourite "muppet" story was a chap that bought a 10 stop ND filter off of me (it goes on camera lenses, makes stuff darker). He asked for a refund because there was blemishes all over it. I asked to see photos as I was confused, the filter was spotless. He insisted he knew what he was doing as "I work for the BBC". Turns out his camera had sensor dust spots and it was nothing to do with the filter.

I once bought THX glasses from the US for £6, and sold it for £20!

Another time, I once bought Lion King blu ray from India (months before UK release), then realised that the UK version was coming with all 3 parts. So sold it unopened for twice the price I paid for, higher than what I paid for the trilogy!

I bought and sold a Primare Pre/Power combo on their some time ago for more than I bought them for but perhaps that was be a I had them for a couple of years and in the meantime their popularity had improved.

Having said that I am now in possession of a pair of EB2's for much less than I paid for my original pair and less than I eventually sold them on for but that had nothing to do with EBay and more to do with the kind people on this forum. Keep up the swapping guys, you never know what bargains you might find.

D

Deleted member 2457

I once bought a Pioneer under mount speaker for the 5090 Kuro for £70 and sold it to a guy from Germany for £230! And I bought some copy Mysterious Cities of Gold DVDs for £20 and sold them for over £100 and did that 3 times because I heard the real copies were coming out.
regular_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS