Ebay item descriptions...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

Lets say you purchased a new turntable and it dlearly states that included in the package is an acyrilic platter but upon opening said package you're presented with a bog standard version what rights if any as a buyer do you have? I'd rather not return the item but do expect to receive the item as described. Is the return and refund option all that's available? I'm getting a little fed up at being shafted on Ebay... Oh and this was a new item sold through a otherwise repected and well know seller.

Thanks

I was once sent a black ipod touch instead of white that I ordered. I contacted the seller stating "item not as described". The seller then refunded me £20 and I kept the black one.

Contact the seller via ebay so they are in the loop as well.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've done that and waiting to hear back from them. An acrylic platter is another 100 quid on top sold seperately. I was wondering whether the retailer is bound to honour their part of the transaction by providing the item as clearly described. this is not simply a matter of wrong colour, it's an upgrade of which they've advertised and yet failed to deliver. It's not my responsiblity to check their listings, as a consumer I'm out to get the best deal I can find..That's exactly what I thought I'd achieved.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you pay using PayPal on eBay then as a buyer you are pretty much bulletproof. Generally it is the seller taking the risk. eBay is very much a place where caveat venditor has replaced caveat emptor.

I have bought and sold about five hundred items on eBay, most of it hifi, and I count myself very, very lucky to still remain relatively unscathed. Funnily enough in my experience the more expensive the item = the less the trouble. The second hand hifi bunch generally seem to be a nice crowd and because many prefer to pick up the more expensive purchases you get to meet some interesting people too.

The most troublesome things I have ever sold on the bay were my old xbox 360 games. I sold about ten of them of which half were apparently "damaged upon receipt". I know they weren't because they were mint but arguing with a ten year old who is threatening bad feedback if you don't give them a refund is futile.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have long stopped using eBay I think its a rip off. I have been using Gum tree now for 5yrs with no problems. I once sold a gaming laptop on Ebay & I got charged so much, since then its good bye to ebay. Also I got bad feed back for no fault of mine. Never again.

jjbomber

As of late I have noticed that about half my buyers don't leave any feedback. I am still at 100% and haven't had any problems, but a lot these don't communicate at all and don't leave any feedback. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
As of late I have noticed that about half my buyers don't leave any feedback. I am still at 100% and haven't had any problems, but a lot these don't communicate at all and don't leave any feedback. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Yes. eBay is a strange world these days. When I registered back in 2005 it had more of a community feel but that has all gone. Can't really knock it though for a virtually guaranteed quick sale of my old/unwanted/upgraded stuff.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
If you pay using PayPal on eBay then as a buyer you are pretty much bulletproof. Generally it is the seller taking the risk. eBay is very much a place where caveat venditor has replaced caveat emptor.

I have bought and sold about five hundred items on eBay, most of it hifi, and I count myself very, very lucky to still remain relatively unscathed. Funnily enough in my experience the more expensive the item = the less the trouble. The second hand hifi bunch generally seem to be a nice crowd and because many prefer to pick up the more expensive purchases you get to meet some interesting people too.

The most troublesome things I have ever sold on the bay were my old xbox 360 games. I sold about ten of them of which half were apparently "damaged upon receipt". I know they weren't because they were mint but arguing with a ten year old who is threatening bad feedback if you don't give them a refund is futile.
Up until 10 days ago I had a great experience on eBay. Sold Audio analogue Amp, great feedback perfect. 7 days later, I want to return it "I don't want it any more" unfortunately my listing alowed returns. Ebay said he had no case. Then EBay found in his favour. My PayPal account was deducted £1150 He had it in his rack, used etc on pictures on eBay selling other items. Disgusted, sent nasty email, he dropped case. He stated in his feedback item was perfect. Can you believe just how low and pathetic some people will go.

Native_bon said:
I have long stopped using eBay I think its a rip off. I have been using Gumtree now for 5yrs with no problems. I once sold a gaming laptop on Ebay & I got charged so much, since then its good bye to ebay. Also I got bad feed back for no fault of mine. Never again.

Guess who own Gumtree? eBay - that's why you get pestered to pay for promotion. They also own PayPal hence relationship! eBay now charges 10% of the postage cost as a fee which is just plain greedy on top of 10% from the item, plus 3.5% from PayPal!

They also own Skype, Craigslist and StubHub.....

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_100000759563588 said:
Guess who own Gumtree? eBay - that's why you get pestered to pay for promotion. They also own PayPal hence relationship!

They also own Skype, Craigslist and StubHub.....

eBay and PayPal will split into two separate companies in the coming weeks (with a 6-year transition period).

By the way, Microsoft bought Skype back in 2011.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts