eb acoustics eb2s

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted everyone to know that you can now get the EB acoustics eb2s again and just to say how good they are.these are one of the best speakers IV ever heard and at £799 they are an absolute bargain.they are quite large for a standmount speaker but the finish is exceptional.they are made in the same factory as some of the best British Speaker companies (spendor). When plugged in it takes about 5 seconds to hear how good these are. straight away the sound stage becomes larger (more open)and vocals become very realistic compared to my dynaudio's. Midrange is clear and very detailed as is most of the presentation on these.bass was a bit light but i change the jumper cables which made the bass a bit deeper but still with lots of detail.i put talking heads on and Snares snap with plenty of attack giving it great timeing.the detail on these are amazing so the separation is easy to hear.you could hear every instrument playing even with the effect that they had put on in the recording like reverb.to be honest they kill my dynaudio's in every way but i find they do lack the dynamics of the ATC scm11 which are £1200 and i think this is where the eb2s should be priced when you see and hear them.the EB acoustics eb2s should not be missed if you're looking for Speaker under a grand and you get a 30 day trial so no excuses.they are transparent so a reasonable good hifi will be needed and i felt they needed some power to get the best from them.apart from that These are a must audition.if you want to try these go to arcaydis web page.theres no waiting times anymore like last time now.once you order they will be there the next day

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Just wanted everyone to know that you can now get the EB acoustics eb2s again and just to say how good they are.these are one of the best speakers IV ever heard and at £799 they are an absolute bargain.they are quite large for a standmount speaker but the finish is exceptional.they are made in the same factory as some of the best British Speaker companies (spendor). When plugged in it takes about 5 seconds to hear how good these are. straight away the sound stage becomes larger (more open)and vocals become very realistic compared to my dynaudio's. Midrange is clear and very detailed as is most of the presentation on these.bass was a bit light but i change the jumper cables which made the bass a bit deeper but still with lots of detail.i put talking heads on and Snares snap with plenty of attack giving it great timeing.the detail on these are amazing so the separation is easy to hear.you could hear every instrument playing even with the effect that they had put on in the recording like reverb.to be honest they kill my dynaudio's in every way but i find they do lack the dynamics of the ATC scm11 which are £1200 and i think this is where the eb2s should be priced when you see and hear them.the EB acoustics eb2s should not be missed if you're looking for Speaker under a grand and you get a 30 day trial so no excuses.they are transparent so a reasonable good hifi will be needed and i felt they needed some power to get the best from them.apart from that These are a must audition

A great review, and from where I am sitting (directly opposite a pair of EB2's first generation), your description is entirely accurate. When the EB2's originally came out WHF put them up against the ATC SCM11's and came to the same pricing conclusions. They do lack a bit of LF but what they do possess is fast and articulate. The transparency is so great that you can let them off for lacking a bit of grunt. It is the kind of transparency that can send the hairs on your neck vertical. Enjoy your new purchase!

Gazzip said:
seemorebtts said:
Just wanted everyone to know that you can now get the EB acoustics eb2s again and just to say how good they are.these are one of the best speakers IV ever heard and at £799 they are an absolute bargain.they are quite large for a standmount speaker but the finish is exceptional.they are made in the same factory as some of the best British Speaker companies (spendor). When plugged in it takes about 5 seconds to hear how good these are. straight away the sound stage becomes larger (more open)and vocals become very realistic compared to my dynaudio's. Midrange is clear and very detailed as is most of the presentation on these.bass was a bit light but i change the jumper cables which made the bass a bit deeper but still with lots of detail.i put talking heads on and Snares snap with plenty of attack giving it great timeing.the detail on these are amazing so the separation is easy to hear.you could hear every instrument playing even with the effect that they had put on in the recording like reverb.to be honest they kill my dynaudio's in every way but i find they do lack the dynamics of the ATC scm11 which are £1200 and i think this is where the eb2s should be priced when you see and hear them.the EB acoustics eb2s should not be missed if you're looking for Speaker under a grand and you get a 30 day trial so no excuses.they are transparent so a reasonable good hifi will be needed and i felt they needed some power to get the best from them.apart from that These are a must audition

A great review, and from where I am sitting (directly opposite a pair of EB2's first generation), your description is entirely accurate. When the EB2's originally came out WHF put them up against the ATC SCM11's and came to the same pricing conclusions. They do lack a bit of LF but what they do possess is fast and articulate. The transparency is so great that you can let them off for lacking a bit of grunt. It is the kind of transparency that can send the hairs on your neck vertical. Enjoy your new purchase!

I, as the owner of an original pair also, can only concur. Cannot say I have ever heard the Dynaudios but can understand where you are coming from there. For me the amount of bass is just right considering my room's proportions, any more could cause some problem areas. I was lucky here in my choice of floorstanders also as they work very well in the same room but could be considered too imposing sizewise.... at least my good wife thought so, hence the EB2's...... ;-)

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:
seemorebtts said:

I, as the owner of an original pair also, can only concur. Cannot say I have ever heard the Dynaudios but can understand where you are coming from there. For me the amount of bass is just right considering my room's proportions, any more could cause some problem areas. I was lucky here in my choice of floorstanders also as they work very well in the same room but could be considered too imposing sizewise.... at least my good wife thought so, hence the EB2's......   ;-)
the dynaudio's are fantastic speakers for the money but the EB acoustics are in a different league in terms of finish and sound.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
seemorebtts said:

i know this sounds a bit mad but i sent them back.i started to get fatigue which i put down to sitting a bit to close and have quite a reveling hifi maybe got to much for me(i have very sensitive hearing).Even tho they are very balanced with no harshness.maybe if i get a bigger room or a new amp i will be defiantly be getting these again

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Gazzip said:
seemorebtts said:

i know this sounds a bit mad but i sent them back.i started to get fatigue which i put down to sitting a bit to close and have quite a reveling hifi maybe got to much for me(i have very sensitive hearing).Even tho they are very balanced with no harshness.maybe if i get a bigger room or a new amp i will be defiantly be getting these again

Fair enough. If they started to sound fatiguing then they gotta go!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Gazzip said:
seemorebtts said:

I'm sure you made the right choice for yourself. And I admire your honesty. The 30 day trial will generate more business than what it will lose for the EB2

tonky

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
tonky said:
seemorebtts said:
Gazzip said:
seemorebtts said:

I'm sure you made the right choice for yourself. And I admire your honesty. The 30 day trial will generate more business than what it will lose for the EB2

tonky
cheers tonky.i hope they get lots of business and become more successful.they are releasing a active version which i would love to hear and also a center speaker for home cinema

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Funny how we all perceive things differently. I loved the sound of my EB2s (now owned by Al Ears via Insider9). Some people seem to find them just too revealing though. Sometimes I think it's down to source components / amps, sometimes I think it's down to their room acoustics, but mostly I think it's down to the culture-shock of hearing speakers which are just so revealing.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Funny how we all perceive things differently. I loved the sound of my EB2s (now owned by Al Ears via Insider9). Some people seem to find them just too revealing though. Sometimes I think it's down to source components / amps, sometimes I think it's down to their room acoustics, but mostly I think it's down to the culture-shock of hearing speakers which are just so revealing.
i totally agree.I think maybe with a warmer amp i would of kept them.my setup is very revealing and it was a bit of overload for me.but my god they are good.i think when i change my amp I'll definitely be getting these back in my house.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Just added some Neat Motive 2s into my system no 2. They're the diametric opposite of my SFs in that slightly warm doesn't come into the equation, but they've grown on me, mostly because, though revealing, they don't edge towards the ear-bleeding characteristics that some, particularly active studio monitors, do. Just played my new pressing of Electric Ladyland, and had to get that air guitar out!

In other words, there's revealing and revealing, and your ears will always decide.

insider9

seemorebtts said:
MajorFubar said:
i totally agree.I think maybe with a warmer amp i would of kept them.my setup is very revealing and it was a bit of overload for me.but my god they are good.i think when i change my amp I'll definitely be getting these back in my house.
I think what you may consider is a valve buffer or a valve dac. That's what I'm considering for I22. The amount of detail is stunning. I think the main reason you were getting fatigue with EBs is not the overall tonal balance which is on the bright side but the fact that I22 is a little hard in the treble.

I'm still trying to find a way for I22 to work with my speakers so not all is lost :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
(Many) Modern Speakers = Hyped presence band and treble

It can soon bite you in the arxx.

If people bought speakers with neutral sonic signature, they would have much much easier time seting up the rest of their kit. Otherwise they are chasing difficult to obtain sinergy. And once they have it, in no time it's upgrade time, one component begins to stand out, system falls out of balance and back to the chase. A typical music enthusiast has no way of telling what is actual higher resolution and what is just FR coloration and distortion effect.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
A typical music enthusiast has no way of telling what is actual higher resolution and what is just FR coloration and distortion effect.

It is so easy to over complicate things....it's as simple as having a system that produces music in a way that you enjoy.....not what other people enjoy, or what a magazine says it enjoys.

Putting that system together is not so easy, though....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Many under estimate how much the room contributes.

Take subjective reviews with a pinch of salt but in WHS&V's defense, they had extensive (expensive) sound treatments done to their facilities.

HifiNews&RR's (KH's) speaker measurements are good but without plonking the boxes in your own room you'll always take a gamble.

I'm not telling anything new to most of you.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
A typical music enthusiast has no way of telling what is actual higher resolution and what is just FR coloration and distortion effect.

It is so easy to over complicate things....it's as simple as having a system that produces music in a way that you enjoy.....not what other people enjoy, or what a magazine says it enjoys.

Putting that system together is not so easy, though....

100% truth.

Problem is people don't know what they want or even what they like, simply because they are injected with meaninless marketing gab and forum 'fanboi' hyperbole. We need to stop helping people so they buy better hifi through personal trial and error. *biggrin*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

Take subjective reviews with a pinch of salt but in WHS&V's defense, they had extensive (expensive) sound treatments done to their facilities.

HifiNews&RR's (KH's) speaker measurements are good but without plonking the boxes in your own room you'll always take a gamble.

Yup. Anything under 300Hz it's the room making music, not the speakers. Bigger the room, more control and influence comes from the speakers themselves. In small rooms, you have the 'babushka' effect - drivers in a box trying to recreate sound from within a box. Shame we can't all have big speakers in big wood houses like the 'Mericans.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
MajorFubar said:
I think what you may consider is a valve buffer or a valve dac. That's what I'm considering for I22. The amount of detail is stunning. I think the main reason you were getting fatigue with EBs is not the overall tonal balance which is on the bright side but the fact that I22 is a little hard in the treble.

I'm still trying to find a way for I22 to work with my speakers so not all is lost :)
yes you're probably right.when i bought the cd32 it was the perfect match for my amp.it actually has a little warmth with no hard edges and all the detail.im hoping the i32 has the same character and then the EB acoustics eb2s will be back in my life because i do miss them.its hard to go back once you've heard them

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:

So, having bought a hifi system, people should build a room in which it should fit??

No offence, but utter nonsense. It's the hifi that should be polyvalent, not the situation.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
In WHS&V's defense, they had extensive (expensive) sound treatments done to their facilities.

This. But a few years ago when I suggested WHF's listening rooms should perhaps once again be laid out in a way which represent the acoustics of an average living room (as they were in the 80s) instead of a treated studio, I was ridiculed. Don't be stupid Major, we want WHF to tell us what a speaker sounds like in the best possible scenario, pretty much everyone all said, and I crawled away with my tail between my legs. But people don't usually listen to hifi speakers in treated surroundings. They have windows, nasty reflective surfaces like glass picture frames, and increasingly, acoustically-horrible laminated floors, which I think will one day come to define this era's floor coverings as oil-cloth and lino defined the era of half a century ago.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
drummerman said:
In WHS&V's defense, they had extensive (expensive) sound treatments done to their facilities.

This. But a few years ago when I suggested WHF's listening rooms should perhaps once again be laid out in a way which represent the acoustics of an average living room (as they were in the 80s) instead of a treated studio, I was ridiculed. Don't be stupid Major, we want WHF to tell us what a speaker sounds like in the best possible scenario, pretty much everyone all said, and I crawled away with my tail between my legs. But people don't usually listen to hifi speakers in treated surroundings. They have windows, nasty reflective surfaces like glass picture frames, and increasingly, acoustically-horrible laminated floors, which I think will one day come to define this era's floor coverings as oil-cloth and lino defined the era of half a century ago.
all my dealer's have living room acoustics.each room is made to feel like a normal room.whf should be the same.im with you major

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No listening room is the same. It would be totally impossible for WH (or a Dealer) to replicate your/my room.

For those reasons I agree with their choice of treated rooms.

Short of an anechoic space it gives speakers the best chance to show.

The rest and how to translate those strengths or minimise weaknesses is up to us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts