eb acoustics eb1

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi need a second opinion on this.someone I know has a marantz 6005 CD and a Cyrus 6 amp with eb acoustics eb1 speakers.he said he wants to change his Speakers as they sound too clean.i said that it's not the speakers it's the CD player you are using.Any help would be appreciated.

insider9

I've had EB Acoustics EB2 briefly and I can relate to that. It may be that he's not yet ready for them. He may never be... I'd say it is the speakers.

Not all of us even if we hear the same things may like that much honesty. It may be that it's all down to getting used to the sound. How long has he had them? What speakers has he had before?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
I've had EB Acoustics EB2 briefly and I can relate to that. It may be that he's not yet ready for them. He may never be... I'd say it is the speakers.

Not all of us even if we hear the same things may like that much honesty. It may be that it's all down to getting used to the sound. How long has he had them? What speakers has he had before?
not sure.so you think a change of speaker will be best.his budget is£400

insider9

Would he go second hand?

Some more details would be helpful. Room size, musical styles, what he liked/disliked about previous speakers, what he's looking for this time.

EDIT
Would also be helpful for you to explain to him that long term he may regret selling them. Would be wise to give them some time to get used to the sound. They are very good speakers after all. But I fully appreciate he may not want to as he isn't enjoying them.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Would he go second hand?

Some more details would be helpful. Room size, musical styles, what he liked/disliked about previous speakers, what he's looking for this time.

EDIT
Would also be helpful for you to explain to him that long term he may regret selling them. Would be wise to give them some time to get used to the sound. They are very good speakers after all. But I fully appreciate he may not want to as he isn't enjoying them.
room size is 2.74m x 2.16m he mainly listen to classical and soft rock.

insider9

At max £400 at this size room he'd be quite restricted. Hard to recommend anything without knowing what he's had and like/disliked.

Working on a shortlist of four I'd suggest he auditions Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Wharfedale Diamond 220 and perhaps Kef Q300. I would say Zensor 3 will be just too big for that size of room. Out of the above if I was to buy a pair I'd go with MA Bronze 2 but that's just personal taste. Should go well with Cyrus and for the music he likes.

Although if he likes Q Acoustics then 2020 would do just fine in the room that size.

He could do much better going second hand and the choice is rather huge at £400. Making it more difficult if he isn't sure what to go with as auditioning would be difficult.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
At max £400 at this size room he'd be quite restricted. Hard to recommend anything without knowing what he's had and like/disliked.

Working on a shortlist of four I'd suggest he auditions Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Wharfedale Diamond 220 and perhaps Kef Q300. I would say Zensor 3 will be just too big for that size of room. Out of the above if I was to buy a pair I'd go with MA Bronze 2 but that's just personal taste. Should go well with Cyrus and for the music he likes.

Although if he likes Q Acoustics then 2020 would do just fine in the room that size.

He could do much better going second hand and the choice is rather huge at £400. Making it more difficult if he isn't sure what to go with as auditioning would be difficult.
excellent thank you insider 9

Gazzip said:
Many moons ago I owned a pair of EB2's and experienced exactly the same feeling about them. I even went through an amp change before I gave up and sent them back to Richard Allen. I moved on to Kef R300 and they satisfied my needs, adding all of the "missing" bits that I had craved when I owned the EB2's. You can sometimes pick them up for £400 second hand, as you can LS50's.

However, if I were the OP's friend I would try to hold on to them if I could. He can't have paid more than £150 or so for them second hand and trust me, they are a classic. Having learned to appreciate what the EB2's were actually doing I ended up buying back a pair last year and am very, very happy that I did. He should try to buy something else which ticks his boxes but lets him keep them if he can would be my advice.

I would concur with above observations. I bought insider9's EB2's because I realised I shouldn't have sold my originals. Time will tell as they say, and it did.

We cannot really comment on what your friend should look for particularly in a room that size and his musical preferences. I can only suggest he does not go second hand but actually goes out and auditions for himself.

I will admit though I find his choice of equipment rather confusing. Is it just me but I cannot see a Marantz CD and Cyrus amp actually gelling. Perhaps he might keep speakers and try changing the amp?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Many moons ago I owned a pair of EB2's and experienced exactly the same feeling about them. I even went through an amp change before I gave up and sent them back to Richard Allen. I moved on to Kef R300 and they satisfied my needs, adding all of the "missing" bits that I had craved when I owned the EB2's. You can sometimes pick them (R300's) up for £400 second hand, as you can LS50's.

However, if I were the OP's friend I would try to hold on to them if I could. He can't have paid more than £150 or so for them second hand and trust me, they are a classic. Having learned to appreciate what the EB2's were actually doing I ended up buying back a pair last year and am very, very happy that I did. He should try to buy something else which ticks his boxes but lets him keep them if he can would be my advice.

insider9

Al ears said:
I will admit though I find his choice of equipment rather confusing. Is it just me but I cannot see a Marantz CD and Cyrus amp actually gelling. Perhaps he might keep speakers and try changing the amp?
Perhaps Marantz and Cyrus isn't the usual match. Out of most thing Marantz I find their CD players lively and capable where I'm not mostly keen on new amps.

I would say though that the difference between Cyrus One and Primare with EB2s wasn't at all big. The speakers retained all their qualities and I don't suppose a different amp would change the characteristics too much.

insider9 said:
Al ears said:
Perhaps Marantz and Cyrus isn't the usual match. Out of most thing Marantz I find their CD players lively and capable where I'm not mostly keen on new amps.

I would say though that the difference between Cyrus One and Primare with EB2s wasn't at all big. The speakers retained all their qualities and I don't suppose a different amp would change the characteristics too much.

You'd be correct there. The two things that are most likely to effect the sound of a system are source and speakers and I meant to say CD player. Why I said amp I do not know. My excuse is tiredness.... ;-)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but to suggest changing a CD player will sort this is audiophile BS.

perhaps adding a subwoofer. I haven't done it myself but some (if not all) subs could be connected to the pre outs of the Cyrus amp.

Worth investigating. Some people seem to define speakers that don't rely on distorted bass as being too lean.

richardw42 said:
Sorry but to suggest changing a CD player will sort this is audiophile BS.

perhaps adding a subwoofer. I haven't done it myself but some (if not all) subs could be connected to the pre outs of the Cyrus amp.

Worth investigating. Some people seem to define speakers that don't rely on distorted bass as being too lean.

I don't see adding another potential problem is going to sort any system. If the speakers don't give you what you want find some that do. The outlay on a sub to backup speakers that are obviously a problem is not always advisable.

You might as well just change the source.... ;-)

This is not BS. The idea that a subwoofer will cure all ills, to most audiophiles, is.

The EB1's mentioned are designed to work well in a particular situation and are basically neutral small monitors. If they sound lean they are the wrong speakers for the room and no subwoofer is going to make them sound brilliant. Best to move them on and rethink speakers that do work in one's listening room with the amplifier you have.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Some people seem to define speakers that don't rely on distorted bass as being too lean.

^^ This. However no subwoofer will fix the sound of a pair of speakers you just don't like. Buying one hoping it will be a remedy is a recipe for disappointment.

insider9

richardw42 said:
I agree but I'm not sure £400 on speakers unless it's a 2nd hand bargain will be the answer.

Quite agree that in fact it will most likely be a costly downgrade. However these terms are relative. If you consider enjoyment as a primary motive then if done right it will be money well spent.

I would however stress "if done right" part. That will require auditioning. It may take a few attempts to get right as well, so wouldn't expect immediate results. Speakers are the most subjectively received part of every system and most difficult to get right.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
...although auditioning anything in a dealer/hifi shop environment is not necessarily the right way to come to a decision. You need to get the kit in to your own listening environment, enjoy it under your own stress free conditions.

I auditioned a very expensive pair of PMC's once in a dealers listening room. I stopped the listening session after two minutes and left the shop. Too much background noise. Street outside, people in the shop downstairs, unfamiliar acoustics, a temperature differential between his environment and mine, a different source, different cables etc. etc. I thought what's the point! Luckily for me my dealer is a good guy and shipped them out to my home so that I could try them out properly. I subsequently bought a pair off him.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
I would however stress "if done right" part. That will require auditioning. It may take a few attempts to get right as well, so wouldn't expect immediate results. Speakers are the most subjectively received part of every system and most difficult to get right.

Never a truer word. What amazes me are how many people join here expecting to get one definitive answer about which pair of speakers they should buy. Not necessarily meaning the OP here, just in general. May as well ask us which flavour of crisps they're going to like.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
tonky said:
Walkers of course!

tonky

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like cheese and onion crisps? I taste them all day if I have only a few. Salt and vinegar is the only way to go in my opinion. Walkers of course.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:
tonky said:
Walkers of course!

tonky

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like cheese and onion crisps? I taste them all day if I have only a few. Salt and vinegar is the only way to go in my opinion. Walkers of course.

I don't like crisps. I find eating them severely detracts from my listening session. :)

DAC chips all taste the same so what's the point. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts