ianstewart

Apr 3, 2020
Visit site
Because gyms are now closed I go running outside and I have noticed that nearly all runners use wired earphones/earbuds. It is obvious that these are dedicated runners and wondered if the reason is that bluetooth or wireless earphones are flaky when running. I assume it is not cost as some wear what look like designer outfits and sunglasses (when we get sun in England). This is not an important question of course, I’m just curious - especially as I have never tried bluetooth earphones or headphones.

Dom

With my Bluetooth headphones, I get clicks especially when on the phone. However sound quality wise there not much difference. As for running the main purpose is that they don't fall out your ears. So Bluetooth is preferable.

Last edited:

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Its not a performance issue. Its a safety issue. True wireless could come out and just be lost in a gutter or roll into the road or into undergrowth and be lost or damaged. Even wireless with a wire that just connects the buds can come out and be damaged although more practical than true wireless as you can attach them still to clothing. But, if wired headphones come out they'll remain connected to the sound source. Personally I hate running with headphones in as its much more fun to be distracted by your surroundings than constantly listening to music or someone talking. Sometimes (only sometimes) hi-fi has to take a back seat!

Reactions: doifeellucky

ianstewart

Apr 3, 2020
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies. The safety explanation of course now makes perfect sense.

I have also noticed that writers who are interviewed on Sky News press preview (from their homes because of the lockdown) sometimes use earphones and they are invariably wired as well. Personally everything I use is wired: earphones, headphones, computer keyboard and mouse.

doifeellucky

No offense, but a high proportion of the runners I encounter when out walking, are arrogant (insert your preferred expletive), and impatient, often not prepared to slow down for five seconds, while others pass, and try to keep their distance, on a relatively narrow path. I take particular offence when they're panting, or worse coughing and spluttering due to not being particularly fit, as they go past. I've had runners and cyclists actually contact me as they go past, despite this global pandemic. More often than not it's the ones with headphones that are the worst, wrapped up in their own little world, oblivious to what is going on around them. Please bear that in mind next time you're out. Like someone else said I personally also like to enjoy my surroundings, bird song etc, even in London, and never wear headphones outside.

Friesiansam

No offense, but a high proportion of the runners I encounter when out walking, are arrogant (insert your preferred expletive), and impatient, often not prepared to slow down for five seconds, while others pass, and try to keep their distance, on a relatively narrow path. I take particular offence when they're panting, or worse coughing and spluttering due to not being particularly fit, as they go past. I've had runners and cyclists actually contact me as they go past, despite this global pandemic. More often than not it's the ones with headphones that are the worst, wrapped up in their own little world, oblivious to what is going on around them. Please bear that in mind next time you're out. Like someone else said I personally also like to enjoy my surroundings, bird song etc, even in London, and never wear headphones outside.
I often see runners when I'm out walking with the dog on the local lanes, never had a problem with any of the runners and cyclists I see along the way, whether or not they are listening to music. I do agree though, about preferring to hear the sounds of the countryside whilst out and, hearing vehicles approaching from behind.

ianstewart

Apr 3, 2020
Visit site
Its not a performance issue. Its a safety issue. True wireless could come out and just be lost in a gutter or roll into the road or into undergrowth and be lost or damaged.
Not long after your post I was walking along Great Marlborough Street in London when a young fashionable male sped along on rollerblades and one of his top-of-the-range Apple wireless earbuds fell out. I saw where it had fallen and helped him find it. - he was really panicking. I then paraphrased your post and said now he knew why most runners use wired earphones. He said he was going to get a wired pair straight away as he didn't want it to happen again.

Last edited:

ianstewart

Apr 3, 2020
Visit site
I think many cyclists, runners, dog walkers don't consider others. I only run outside when the gyms are closed as I prefer interval training on a treadmill. It is irrational, half the main road where I live has been converted into cycle lanes yet some still cycle on the pavement. Most dog walkers are considerate but some still let their dogs sniff and growl at your ankles.
However the point about people being in their own world is certainly true and concerning. Even at supermarket tills I see people texting furiously or talking on their mobiles. My work means I rarely travel during the rush hour but one morning my short walk to the tube station meant dodging out of the way of people staring at their mobiles.

After a short period of listening to music outside I also now prefer natural sounds. And because London is now quieter it is possible to hear birdsong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts