Early speculative thoughts about iRadio

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just reading the WHF news-item about the possible summer launch of the much-rumoured iRadio service from Apple.

If it offers a similar package to Spotify (catalogue, functionality, SQ, price, and so-on), it's quite possible I would be tempted to migrate away from Spotify for this. The deal-clincher would be if it integrates with iTunes, offering a cohesive front-end from where I can access streamed-content and my stored audio.

Funny thing is, I had Apple as probably the last company on the planet to offer an On Demand music-streaming service. It seems totally at odds with (and a serious threat to) their current business-model of selling downloads via the iTunes Store, which raises huge amounts of capital for them and secures them a 64% share of the downloads-market.

Maybe they felt they were under pressure to deliver such a service irrespective of the consequences, seeing that Microsoft is already on the streaming bandwagon with XBox Music and Windows 8.

Your early, speculative thoughts?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
It might be simply to ensure that all bases are covered as far as media supply is concerned.

An all inclusive, integrated digital eco-system seems attractive to me and would keep Apple on top of the pile. If indeed streaming live is the way forward, it makes sense for Apple to be onboard with this, even if it affected iTunes.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks OD.

Guess we'll just have to see what it is if/when it arrives. Can't help but feel they're playing catch-up with this though. Very unlike Apple of recent times. They must've known about Spotify (etc) but maybe they didn't see this new-fangled streaming thing as a serious alternative to downloading until MS came onboard with XBox Music, supported now via Windows 8 and Windows phones and tablets.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
They have many millions using devices and itunes. When it launches, they'll be able to have pop ups offering free trails/packages so awareness and saturation should help with the catch up.

It will be interesting to see if Apple do something completely different in their Apple way, sometimes brilliant, sometimes they're just plain obtuse.

Love or loathe, their high product pricing often seems to be justified by " completely different". In many cases true, just the argument comes down to if different is better.

With physical products there are tangible differences. But if the catalogue I want is cheaper elsewhere, you'd have to be stupid to go elsewhere, barring service/ implementation.

But in this case the end product for users will be surely be similar across the board. Unless their version of Brown Sugar sounds different to Spotify's.

TRENDING THREADS