Question Dynavector P75 Mk4 trouble shooting question.

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
I am demoing the above pre-amp paired with a Rega P2/Goldring E3. When setup in MM mode, with the jumpers positioned as per the provided manual, I'm getting a considerable amount of interference and noise whether in high gain or standard gain mode. Am I missing something in the setup? Or could this be a grounding issue (I've only grounded the pre amp to the amp)?

Attachments

• PXL_20220518_211438288.jpg
    PXL_20220518_211438288.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 7

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Disregard, the above. After 3h of headaches, the friend who sent it my way remembered to mention that there's an errata to the manual for MM.

Feel free to delete this post or leave it up as a PSA for others.

By way of a preliminary review, this is a pretty great piece of lesser known kit that's definitely worth a look.

Disregard, the above. After 3h of headaches, the friend who sent it my way remembered to mention that there's an errata to the manual for MM.

Feel free to delete this post or leave it up as a PSA for others.

By way of a preliminary review, this is a pretty great piece of lesser known kit that's definitely worth a look.
I think we should leave this one up because it may be relevant to others that may come across the same issue.
Can you tell us or show a photo of the incorrect information and what it should be?
This phono preamp is generally regarded as very good and, for your information, your Rega is actually grounded to the phono preamp by on of the cartridge signal leads.

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
No problem at all.

I guess I should start with a short initial impression and some general info about the Pre-amp.

The unit follows a bit of a different design philosophy than most. It is incredibly versatile with a bunch of different options for operating modes in MM and MC, as well as different gain settings for both. This is achieved by removing the top cover and repositioning a bunch of small "jumpers" and gain switches on the board according to the provided diagrams. I imagine that this otherwise questionable and tedious process that is caused by the design is how they keep the cost down and minimize opportunities for interference and noise by keeping the switch gear simple.

While I was aware of the rega grounding philosophy, before I had the updated info on the phono stage, I was at a loss and wondering if there was some way that it was shorting.

Anyhow, when Dynavector initially sold the item there was an error in the MC diagram. In the link below you can look at the initial layout in the manual as well as the errata.

By way of a very quick initial review:

Pros:
Compared to other pre-amps that I've tried at the ~ $1000 CAD price point, this thing is actually pretty impressive. When compared to previous items from iFi, Rega and Pro-Ject and Musical Fidelity that I've tried, the increased speed, separation, and fullness/depth of the bass is immediately noticable even on an already very lively set-up. The higher ranges are also more transparent. Unlike some other pre-amps, it also doesn’t overly convey faults in more “well loved” vinyl. There is also a very impressive gain boost (depending on settings) with very low added noise as well. It's a very well mannered and we'll behaved item that plays very nicely with my other items.

Cons:
Setting up the circuits is a tedious vision and steadiness-of-hand test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
No problem at all.

I guess I should start with a short initial impression and some general info about the Pre-amp.

The unit follows a bit of a different design philosophy than most. It is incredibly versatile with a bunch of different options for operating modes in MM and MC, as well as different gain settings for both. This is achieved by removing the top cover and repositioning a bunch of small "jumpers" and gain switches on the board according to the provided diagrams. I imagine that this otherwise questionable and tedious process that is caused by the design is how they keep the cost down and minimize opportunities for interference and noise by keeping the switch gear simple.

While I was aware of the rega grounding philosophy, before I had the updated info on the phono stage, I was at a loss and wondering if there was some way that it was shorting.

Anyhow, when Dynavector initially sold the item there was an error in the MC diagram. In the link below you can look at the initial layout in the manual as well as the errata.

By way of a very quick initial review:

Pros:
Compared to other pre-amps that I've tried at the ~ $1000 CAD price point, this thing is actually pretty impressive. When compared to previous items from iFi, Rega and Pro-Ject and Musical Fidelity that I've tried, the increased speed, separation, and fullness/depth of the bass is immediately noticable even on an already very lively set-up. The higher ranges are also more transparent. Unlike some other pre-amps, it also doesn’t overly convey faults in more “well loved” vinyl. There is also a very impressive gain boost (depending on settings) with very low added noise as well. It's a very well mannered and we'll behaved item that plays very nicely with my other items.

Cons:
Setting up the circuits is a tedious vision and steadiness-of-hand test.

So the errata concerns the MM section and not the MC as you state above.
Thanks for posting that, I feel sure it may help others who has this device.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts