Dynaudio Focus 110 vs Excite X12

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
What are the opinions on the Dynaudio Focus 110 vs the Excite X12? I had both speakers at home and find the Focus 110 clearly superior to the Excite 12. The Focus has greater dynamics, a tighter and deeper bass and is more detailed. Voices on the Excite are a bit more forward. Both speakers were brand new and not broken in.

The amplifier i used was the Yamaha A-S1000.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
If you find the Focus 110 clearly superior to the Excite X12, then go for the Focus 110
emotion-5.gif

Also, the Focus 110 cost way more than the Excite X12 (at least in Denmark), so it shouldn't come as a surprise that it is the better speaker.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Erwin - I used to have Dynaudio Contour S1.4 which are the next range to focus. Brilliant speakers but the bass was too much for me. Dynaudios are proud about the amount of bass their speakers can produce and what I gather is that with the going up on series the bass improves in both quality and quantity.

Please keep this mind and it should not so happen that Focus is too bassy for you and Excite's are already hitting your sweet spot.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I own the Dynaudio Focus 110's which I auditioned together with the Excite X12.

Both run in at the store for 100's of hours.

I liked the sound of the X12 very much, but compared to the 110's we are in a different league.

The 110's has none of the boxy-sound that comes with the X12's. They are more refined in the top, and goes extremely deep for such a small speaker. Quite impressive when you listen to movies in stereo like I do. I use them for everything between Steely Dan to Slayer and they love both genres. Very fast speakers.

But! They are extremely hungry and will only play this well if you use them with a powerful amplifier. We are not talking about watts but pure current. I started using them with the otherwise great amp Cambridge 740A, but found the amps control of the speakers lacking. Then I switched to my current Naim Nait XS, and ohh what glory .-)

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
A few months ago I auditioned the Excite 12 and Focus 110 at a Dynaudio dealer. Amp was quite high-end - Plinius. The 12 was OK but nowhere in the league of the 110, the latter having a much fuller and tighter sound. Between the two, the 110 is far superior, IMO of course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts