Dynaudio DM 2/7 or excite x12?

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, looking at speakers to use as alternatives to my Totem Dreamcatchers. Want a bit more bass, but a musical sound. Has anybody tried these two Dynaudios? Matching them with a Naim NAC62/NAP 90 combo, which should have the power to drive them. The DM 2/6 or Excite X12 are smaller but should have more punch than dream catchers. Will the 2/7 be similar, or will the bass be a bit too prominent in a small room

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. Wondered if the larger 2/7 enclosure would be significant. Although DM 2/6 never seemed that short of grunt, according to reviews.

davidjmorris

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the dm 2/6 they are ok but I also have the dm 3/7 if you have the space and the money then go for the florstanders all day long they are fantastic and compaire to the tannoys at the same price the dm 3/7 blow them out of the water

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I had to decide between end of line Excite X12 or a set of DM 2/7 from a mate's mate. Given the great price on the X12 model, I have taken a mad leap of faith and gone with them. They were the last pair at the dealer so I had to move fast and I reckon that I paid close to cost (350 quid). If they sound awful then I can always sell them on, but I am hoping that they will prove to be a little bit special.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Uau! For that price it was a GREAT Finding!!! :cheer:

Go slow with them, they take a loong period of time to break in, more than 100h...

You know that pics are mandatory, don't you? ;)

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
So, just had the Excite X12 delivered and running afew tracks through them. They sound a bit tight straight out of the box. Not going to make any assessments until they have some hours under their belt. Not much larger than the Dreamcatchers but more bass for sure. Need to play around with positioning as a bit boomy without the foam in the ports. Never believe in special songs for auditioning, far better to have something you like and know. An evening of swapping CDs awaits.......

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my X12 home I thought I'd made a terrible mistake. There was no bass to speak of, and they sounded very "boxy" with no life to them at all. I left them running all day every day for a week. I reckon I got around 80 hours on them before they started to loosen up. The Bass started to show through at around 60 hours.

I would say that the manufacturers recommendation of 200 hours run in can't be far off the truth! It took around a month of usage for me to hear them at their full potential.

hang in there, it's worth the wait
smiley-tongue-out.gif

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Might hook them up to the home theatre to get more hours in watching tv! Don't get me wrong, all the signs are good and I am working on the advice that these bad boys need time to get their act together, and then.......can't wait.

NJB said:
Hi, looking at speakers to use as alternatives to my Totem Dreamcatchers. Want a bit more bass, but a musical sound. Has anybody tried these two Dynaudios? Matching them with a Naim NAC62/NAP 90 combo, which should have the power to drive them. The DM 2/6 or Excite X12 are smaller but should have more punch than dream catchers. Will the 2/7 be similar, or will the bass be a bit too prominent in a small room

If you like tha sound of Totem, then the Arros are the way to go. They are so easy to place and their skinny dimensions means they fall into the background of most decor.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
NJB said:

If you like tha sound of Totem, then the Arros are the way to go. They are so easy to place and their skinny dimensions means they fall into the background of most decor.

PP the OP already bought the Dyns X12... ;)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
NJB said:
Thanks for the advice. Might hook them up to the home theatre to get more hours in watching tv! Don't get me wrong, all the signs are good and I am working on the advice that these bad boys need time to get their act together, and then.......can't wait.

like i've said in my previous post, they take a looooooong period of time to break in completely, but after they will reward you greatly with their silky mid range, the voice coils reproduce voices like no other speaker in the budget.

"Be pacient young Padawan" :grin:

:cheers:

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Concur re: running in. I bought my DM2/7s 5 weeks ago and they continue to improve. The MSP drivers are a bit flat out of the box. I set up using the Isotec Cd which includes a burn-in track - def better after a few repeat plays. Ended up 80cms from the back wall - no bungs. That's akin to buying G&B's organic dark chocolate and eating it with the foil still on, IMHO. Dyns were an unexpected choice for me, but I have no regrets whatsoever.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I always loved the Dreamcatchers, but you get used to a certain speaker style, and they always were a bit polite. I already know that the X12s are rather more in your face. The midrange is very sweet, vocals are right there. I am very interested to see where these cans are going. Could be money well spent.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
NJB said:
I always loved the Dreamcatchers, but you get used to a certain speaker style, and they always were a bit polite. I already know that the X12s are rather more in your face. The midrange is very sweet, vocals are right there. I am very interested to see where these cans are going. Could be money well spent.

Could be, NO, it is money well spent!

For £350 if you don't want them in the end you can make all the money, or even a bit more for what you've paid for! Not a bad business at all.

I've paid for mine 800€ in white piano gloss.

And pictures, do you have pics...?

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts