DVDA/SACD & BLURAY PLAYERS - HELP!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently own a Denon DVD player (Excellent), as well as a Sony Blu Ray player (Also very good). I see that Denon are releasing a couple of Blu Ray players this year. Will these play DVD Audio and SACD? If not, are there any machines out there that are likely to? I don't want to have two expensive DVD players with one solely for playing DVDA/SACD and the other for BluRay (unless there is a good cheaper option available).

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Think it's unlikely we'll see 'universal' Blu-ray players capable of handling SACD and DVD-A for some time, I'm afraid, if at all. Neither of the two high-def audio formats has exactly set the world alight, so manufacturers probably don't see a huge demand for such a product. Looks like your two-player strategy might be the best bet for now.

A

Anonymous

Well, actually a combo player has already been released (and then taken off the market). The player is a Panasonic DMP-BD10A which is Blu-ray AND DVD-Audio. It appeared sometime in early 2007 and was taken off the market around Sept. same year. My belief is that the player was designed with total regard to quality audio. It has very high quality DACs using audiophile caps, etc. When the marketing guys found out, they wanted all the emphasis placed on the video, so the next player, the 30A was Profile 3 but could not play DVD-A.

ÿBut, I also agree that mfgrs now will see no need to continue with SACD or DVD-A. Blu-Ray is the unifying standard which has all the capability of every other past format. The production of a simple CD, for example, now can simply be done with 5 mics instead of two or three, and a couple of cameras (even fixed positionl) so that every recording (studio or concert) would have some accompanying video (hi res, of course), and the audio quality will be, what?... quadrupled? The price of players will come down and now are hundreds less than the $500 the first CD players cost in the '70s. I saw a Sony BD yesterday in the US for $289. Within 2 years, 3 at the most, I believe everything will be Blu-Ray.

ÿThanks,

Robertÿ

ÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
When even Sony takes SACD capability OUT of a product (the PS3) then what hope the format in anyone else's hands?!

And audio-only Blu-ray likely to take the place of DVD-Audio - will be interesting to see if BD Audio will be any more successful...

A

Anonymous

What's there not to like about a format that gives you at least 3 choices of uncompressed audio on 7.1 speakers along with a high-res picture? In the future, hard media will simply be called "disks" with variable content ranging from a "CD" to multiple full-length movies. Every disk could or will have a stereo only track for those who don't want to mess with the HT concept. I think BD is here to stay.

Robertÿ

A

Anonymous

Not even Marantz, one of the biggest pushers of the SACD format will support in their new Blu-Ray Players. The new Marantz Blu-ray players (BD7003 and the high end BD8002) do not support SACD let alone DVD-A so my best guess is both format will die out soon. Maybe SACD will produced in limited quantities for all the players already out there, but I think it will be limited to classical and maybe some jazz labels alone.

A

Anonymous

GPBobby:Well, actually a combo player has already been released (and then taken off the market). The player is a Panasonic DMP-BD10A which is Blu-ray AND DVD-Audio.

We have that sitting downstairs - didn't know it was that good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts