DVD Player for Sound Quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi People,

Is the audio quality of the Marantz dvd player "DV-6001" better than the audio quality of the Pioneer dvd player "DV-989avi"?

Clare are you out there? Please help

A

Anonymous

Ive never heard either but i can you they will sound differnt if you dont like the pioneer sound the marantz could be the answer! can you go and have listen somewhere???

A

Anonymous

The sound quality of the pioneer is really bad. Both the marantz dv-6001 and the cambridge azur 540D V2 apparently have great audio, and both got 5 stars in what hi fi so i suspect either one of them would outperform the pioneer for sound qualty (depsite the pionner being more expeisive). Unfortunately i cant audition them though so it makes it difficult.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
quantum:

Hi People,

Is the audio quality of the Marantz dvd player "DV-6001" better than the audio quality of the Pioneer dvd player "DV-989avi"?

Clare are you out there? Please help

No! but I guess it will be a close fight. The best audio out on DVD player I ever come across was Arcam DV range but Pioneer play DVD a lot better (and can also be use as a cracking transport)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
but if it not pound-for-pound? although I am not an expert on this front admittedly, I simply couldn't fault Arcam DV 29 ( exdemo now around £500) or my older machine DV89.

A

Anonymous

im with Thaiman - ARcam is the way to go here... i have owned three different models from Arcams DV range and all were simply stunning as both dvd players and cd player. of course my current DV135 is the best of the lot - if its good enough for Jimmy Hughes....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi quantum.

I am an HT novice but is there a particular reason why you'd want to get a reasonably expensive DVD player rather than say one of the newer Blueray players, which seem to play and upsample (if needed) DVD's well these days? You could have the best of both worlds and partner one of those with a reasonable inexpensive dac such as CA's but there are others. Its still a compromise to a good cdp and probably a dedictated high end dvd player but perhaps less one compared to the solution you suggest?

Regards

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Naim DVD player is very well regarded and if I haven't got a dedicated audio only machine I would be seriously investigate the black/green box.....but hang on...How much? £2600? even pahnd f'pahnd Naim is very....very expensive for a DVD player. Have you got one then Mr. E?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Mr. E, I never heard the DVD 5 before and now you got me look up the spec...

"re-clocked before entering state-of-the-art 24bit 192kHz digital to analogue convertors - a technique borrowed from the CDS3 CD player"
emotion-3.gif
Have you ever compare it to any other Naim source?

A

Anonymous

My pioneer dvd player DV-989avi has such bad sound quality that it isnt even as good as an older model model pionneer dvd player i used to own (which was incidentely half the price). The 989avi is seriously that bad for sound quality. Surely the marantz DV-6001 must beat the pionner for audio, even though it isnt as expensive.

A

Anonymous

Which dvd player would have the best sound quality between the marantz dv-6001 and the cambridge azur 540D-v2?

They are both around the same price and both players are said to have outstanding audio quality. Surely either one of them would outperform the pioneer 989 for audio.

A

Anonymous

quantum:

My pioneer dvd player DV-989avi has such bad sound quality that it isnt even as good as an older model model pionneer dvd player i used to own (which was incidentely half the price). The 989avi is seriously that bad for sound quality. Surely the marantz DV-6001 must beat the pionner for audio, even though it isnt as expensive.

Really? I'm surprised. I have a DV-989, and it is as good with CD as my old Cyrus CD8x/PSX-R, so the Cyrus was sold. Not just my view, I took it to a bake-off and it was generally agreed to be holding its own with most of the sub-£2k CD players.

It's also very good with SACD, IME. There are a lot of set-up options, so maybe yours isn't optimised...

A

Anonymous

I find the audio quality of the 989 so bad, that i actually prefer the sound quality of a cheaper pioneer dvd player that was less than half the price of the 989.

Im interested in cd playback (NOT SACD) and audio quality of dvd playback when watching movies. Both the marantz and the cambridge are said to excel in audio, and both received 5 star reviews. The marantz and cambridge dvd players are both less expensive than the 989, but nonetheless i have a strong hunch that both of them would outperform the 989 for raw sound quality. Can anyone confirm this?

Please help lol

A

Anonymous

I bought a Naim DVD5 in the summer. Sound quality via CD and DVD concerts is fantastic, better then my Naim CD3.5 / Flat cap which I sold. I compared the Naim to products from Cyrus, Linn & Meridian and the Naim was the best souding by far.

TRENDING THREADS