DVD Films-Why so many of bad picture Quality?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Go onto somewhere like Amazon and will see many old films made in the 1940/1950's which came on DVD between 2002-2007. If this is the case why aren't they being digitally remastered as some are quite clearly being transfered from VHS onto DVD which is a bit of a con according to some of the reviews of there.

Some Region 1 DVD's are also said to be of better quality than some Region 2 Discs but why should this be?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We always mention the quality of DVD/HD disc transfers when we use them as test discs (see our Home Cinema and TV Sound Advice sections each issue), and the diversity is incredible, even now - all depends whether the producers have gone back to an original print and mastered from there, or used a much-used print or (as you say) even a low-quality copy.

The trouble is, some old films simply weren't kept in pristine condition, so only copies/old prints exist - not so bad when watched on an old, smaller-screen TV, but rather disastrous on our lovely new big HD flatscreens...many of which don't thrive with old-movie staples of complex lighting, either (want to ruin a film noir? Watch it on a poor LCD...)

Re Region 1/2 differences - quality variation is more typically on the sonic side. Region 1 discs usually only have the (US) English language to include as a soundtrack, whereas Region 2 discs can be packed with every European language going. This means less room on a disc - space that some Region 1 discs use for higher-bitrate audio. It's not always the case, but a superior DTS soundtrack is often included on US releases that we miss out on, for example.

On the R1/R2 picture side, there is more a culture of remastered/special edition DVD releases in the US that don't always make it over the Atlantic - the Criterion Collection springs to mind. I've got editions of everything from Gone with the Wind and Ben Hur to more modern classics on R1 simply because more thought's gone into the presentation.

Still, not much use playing them on my PS3.... Region-coding: pah!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree Clare. I recently bought Mike Leigh's Naked from Criterion and although it cost nearly £20, it looks fantastic and the Dolby 2.0 sound is superb - just how messrs Leigh and Thewlis would have liked it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts