DVD Connections Help Required

stufran

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Ive just bought a Tosh EP30 on the grounds that irrespective of the winner of the Blu-ray / HD battle I have a ridiculously cheap DVD (£120) which upscales all my DVDs. Just need confirmation of the connections if anyone has the time to help: I want to keep my old faithful Philips DVDR880 for the time being for recording purposes. Do I connect the EP30 through my AV amp (Sony HT-SS1000) via HDMi & then the amp to the TV (Toshiba 303032) via HDMI & leave the existing connections for the recorder or is or is there a better way of doing it ? After subscribing to WHS&V I have a Chord HDMI cable on the way, if the above is correct I will need a second cable. The Chord is a bit on the pricey side so any recommendation of something a tad cheaper would be appreciated. Secondly, where is the best place to put the better HDMI cable ? Between DVD & amp or amp & TV ? I'm sure that all the above may sound ridiculously simple to many but if anyone could spare 5 minutes to respond it would be greatly appreciated.

stufran

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stufran"]Ive just bought a Tosh EP30 on the grounds that irrespective of the winner of the Blu-ray / HD battle I have a ridiculously cheap DVD (£120) which upscales all my DVDs. Just need confirmation of the connections if anyone has the time to help: I want to keep my old faithful Philips DVDR880 for the time being for recording purposes. Do I connect the EP30 through my AV amp (Sony HT-SS1000) via HDMi & then the amp to the TV (Toshiba 303032) via HDMI & leave the existing connections for the recorder or is or is there a better way of doing it ? After subscribing to WHS&V I have a Chord HDMI cable on the way, if the above is correct I will need a second cable. The Chord is a bit on the pricey side so any recommendation of something a tad cheaper would be appreciated. Secondly, where is the best place to put the better HDMI cable ? Between DVD & amp or amp & TV ? I'm sure that all the above may sound ridiculously simple to many but if anyone could spare 5 minutes to respond it would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]
After reading through the Sony operating instructions (in which I understand all the words but not in the order they are written !) I think I also need to connect the DVD to the amp via a secondary cable ??!!

stufran

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
In the absence of any replies & assuming that you are all sick of working the potential scenarios through, I've tried to map out what I think I should do:

Sky Box
Aerial lead in
RF out - Aerial lead to recorder
Scart to recorder
Scart to TV
Audio cable (red & white) to amp

Recorder
Scart in from Sky
Scart to TV
Digital audio lead to amp (orange)
Aerial lead in from Sky
Aerial lead out to TV

DVD Player
HDMI to amp
Optical digital to amp

Amp
HDMI in from DVD
Optical digital from DVD
Digital audio from recorder
Audio cable in from Sky
HDMI out to TV

Questions remain, Does the above work ? Is it the optimum solution ?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts