Dump my CDS ?

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I have spendor a6r speakers with Cyrus amp and cd player.

After Xmas I was looking to upgrade to a new amp and cd player.

But... I am now thinking of maybe ripping all my Cds (500) and going digital in the future, so no need for a Cd player.

Problem is, I am new at this part and don't know where to start.

Do I need a streamer, new amp, how about the storage of my Cds lossless... can anyone help in what I need to set this up and what I need if say, the only thing I don't need are speakers.
Looking at around £3500

jjbomber

alwaysbeblue1 said:
Problem is, I am new at this part and don't know where to start.

WD MyCloud is so simple that even I managed to install one. Add in a Naim Uniti2 for an easy to use system that will complement the Spendors.

Then you download some ripping software, such as dBpoweramp. Rip the CDs and store these files on the WD MyCloud. Both the WD and Naim and DLNA out of the box, so 'talk' to each other. Just select the input uPnP, scroll down to WD MyCloud and select. scroll down to find your files. Sounds simple and is.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'd go for an amp with built-in Streamer. Listen to the offerings from Linn, Naim and Cyrus.

My preference would be the Linn Majik DSM, which also has HDMI connectivity, so can act as a hub for music and TV...especially as it has a Pre-Out for a Sub.

FWIW. I found that Linn Streamers comfortably out-performed CDPs of a similar value (which is why Linn stopped making them).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

alwaysbeblue1 said:
how about the storage of my Cds lossless

You'll need a NAS (Network Attached Storage) such as the WD My Cloud as mentioned above, though there are many other options.

But don't rely on the NAS never breaking down and losing all your music, back it all up on one other hard drive and a cloud service, or two other hard drives.

I would recommend ripping the CDs to flac, but if you want total lossless, you'll need plenty of space on the hard drives and NAS.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm 51 and last year i have bought a Pioneer N50 A streamer. I have all my cd's ripped into flac on a simple QNap server with Dbpoweramp. Very simple and i won't go back to a cd player. First i thought it i very difficult, but it isn't.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I can see the way the technology is going. However, I still see no point in ripping my CDs. They work and are easy to use and changing a CD every 45 minutes or so is not a hardship.

I guess if I were playing single short tracks it would make a great deal of sense. But I don't!

Chris

PS I already have a "My Cloud" so I am not an old fogey. It just doesn't make sense.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
PS I already have a "My Cloud" so I am not an old fogey.  It just doesn't make sense.
You mean it doesn't make sense to you. I was in exactly the same position, but having made the change, I would never go back.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I can see the way the technology is going. However, I still see no point in ripping my CDs. They work and are easy to use and changing a CD every 45 minutes or so is not a hardship.

I guess if I were playing single short tracks it would make a great deal of sense. But I don't!

Chris

PS I already have a "My Cloud" so I am not an old fogey. It just doesn't make sense.

.....and costs good money to replace something that already does the job?

drummerman said:
Schmegel H360

Hi drummerman

Now be nice please
thumbs_up.gif
Hegel
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
slice said:
The OP is upgrading anyway, so why go down the CDP route, as it's likely to become obsolete?

A good and fair reply about the upgrading, though I don't think cds will be obsolete for a very long time.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Cno:

Your footnote is quite interesting. I've just been doing a winetasting tour across northern spain......I certainly judge wines by tasting and deciding myself, but it was very clear on my trip that the growing, harvesting and maturing processes in all the vineyards I visited were heavily dependent on scientific and chemical analysis!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
slice said:
Cno:

Your footnote is quite interesting. I've just been doing a winetasting tour across northern spain......I certainly judge wines by tasting and deciding myself, but it was very clear on my trip that the growing, harvesting and maturing processes in all the vineyards I visited were heavily dependent on scientific and chemical analysis!
Same as hifi, then.

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Some things I can work with.

One last question though.. If I use the Naim, Cyrus or Linn do they have a Cd slot or would I have to rip onto my cloud via a PC ?

I think cds will be around for a while but I think they are coming to an end. Plus cds develop small scratches over time and wonder if this puts strain on the cd player.

I will keep my cd player for future use and backup anyway.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
If you fancy a PC-less ripping.. have a look at Bryston BOT-1 optical transport and the matching BDP-2 player. Attach a NAS or hard disk and the ripping can be done directly from BOT-1 to the NAS/hard disk. All can be controlled via iPad.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
slice said:
Covenanter said:
I can see the way the technology is going.  However, I still see no point in ripping my CDs.  They work and are easy to use and changing a CD every 45 minutes or so is not a hardship.

I guess if I were playing single short tracks it would make a great deal of sense.  But I don't!

Chris

PS I already have a "My Cloud" so I am not an old fogey.  It just doesn't make sense.

You are aware this is a hi-fi forum right?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
El Hefe said:
If you fancy a PC-less ripping.. have a look at Bryston BOT-1 optical transport and the matching BDP-2 player. Attach a NAS or hard disk and the ripping can be done directly from BOT-1 to the NAS/hard disk. All can be controlled via iPad.

Or the NAD M50: CD player, ripper, streamer. Rips in WAV, then converts to FLAC (or whatever format you fancy) while it spits out your disk already, so you can slot in another CD. Goes really well for ripping your whole collection. It won't rip straight to a NAS though. I rip to a USB HDD, then copy to the NAS (same effort as going the other way round actually, since I want an extra copy anyway -- and so should you).

TRENDING THREADS