Dull sounding system

scotty50

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
HI MARANTZ PEARL LITE AMP MUSICAL FIDELITY A3.2 CD TANNOY 6S SPEAKERS CHORD CABLES AND INTERCONNECTS.I LISTEN TO MAINLY ROCK DREAM THEATER EXODUS METALLICA .SYSTEM JUST DOESNT HAVE AN EDGE GUITARS DONT HAVE ANY AGGRESSION DRUMS DONT SOUND SOLID.THANKS

The problem is the amp and CDP are both quite lush sounding. Changing either one would give you a more of an uplift in overall presentation. What you could change to would depend on budget and the type of sound you're looking for. So for instance, if you're after a similar presentation then look at Arcam, Creek or Roksan or Naim to begin with. The budget will determine what model.

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I use a Musical Fidelity CD 3.2 player which definitely doesn't sound dull with my Roksan K2 amplifier. I would point the finger at the Marantz Pearl lite which has a rather laid back tonal quality. I would actually describe the Musical Fidelity as having an essentially neutral sound quality which complements the Roksan rather well.

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I use a Musical Fidelity CD 3.2 player which definitely doesn't sound dull with my Roksan K2 amplifier. I would point the finger at the Marantz Pearl lite which has a rather laid back tonal quality. I would actually describe the Musical Fidelity as having an essentially neutral sound quality which complements the Roksan rather well.

T

the record spot

I'd agree. The Marantz amp is good, but my experience with them is they can be more reserved than others. The rest of the system is good but before you spend money, can you shift your speakers around a little? Moving them a few inches either way and adjusting the angle of the toe-in can make a big difference to the sound you hear.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I love the Marantz sound but I also think the Pearl Lite amp is to blame here. It can sound a little dull and a bit too warm.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The problem is with these sorts of threads is that you'll get numerous recommendations which will all be quite different due to personal preferences. Personally, I always found the A3 and A5 MF stuff to be very warm, lacking a little in midrange insight and detail. I feel this would be more of an issue than the amp. I've never heard those particular Tannoy speakers, so I can't say whether these may be exacerbating the issue.

All you can do is audition alternatives and see which gives you what you're looking for. I'd look at the Naim Nait 5Si amplifier, Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 speakers, or trying a Chord Qute HD or Qute EX DAC to perk your CD player up a bit and ease off on its warm sounding nature.

T

the record spot

stevebrock said:
As for the drums not sounding solid, try the same albums on vinyl and you will have be surprised

Oh come on Steve, that's redundant thinking. I'd still have my turntable if that was true. Drums sound great on my setup, as does most anything else.

the record spot said:
stevebrock said:
As for the drums not sounding solid, try the same albums on vinyl and you will have be surprised

Oh come on Steve, that's redundant thinking. I'd still have my turntable if that was true. Drums sound great on my setup, as does most anything else.

That's not redundant, but it is an overblown view that TTs sound so much better than digital or CDs. They all have their place in the wonderful world of hi-fi.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the amp or CDP (or both) are to blame. You can't just have warm + warm and expect your hair to catch fire.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Oh come on Steve, that's redundant thinking.

I'm not so sure it is. Among the many examples that I've heard so far, I've only ever heard Ocean colour scene's Moseley Shoals on CD. I heard it for the first time on vinyl the other week - what a revelation. Hopefully it'll be my next vinyl purchase, despite being priced around the £50 mark.

T

the record spot

Once you've got the same mastering then we're comparing apples and apples, otherwise...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
the record spot said:
Oh come on Steve, that's redundant thinking.

I'm not so sure it is. Among the many examples that I've heard so far, I've only ever heard Ocean colour scene's Moseley Shoals on CD. I heard it for the first time on vinyl the other week - what a revelation. Hopefully it'll be my next vinyl purchase, despite being priced around the £50 mark.

David, what TT are you using?

scotty50

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS,GOING TO LISTEN TO OTHER AMPS THIS WEEKEND AND TAKE MY MF CD PLAYER WITH ME.THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts