Dual 505 mk2 - Service or scrap

benham3160

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Not a HiFi buff my any margin but I enjoy music, I currently have a Dual 505 mk2 that's not sounding its best, here are my symptoms:

- Random loud buzzing noise, resolved by "wiggling" RCAs and earth.

- Think it's drifted out of time, it has timing marks but not sure how to go about timing it properly.

- Sounds "flat", jumps if you go anywhere near it!

Forgive the ignorance (I'm of the CD generation) but I have many vinyl records I enjoy listening to, is it worth servicing this table (what I understand is renewing the belts, setting up properly, and replacing the stylus/cartidge and replacing the cabling) or just picking up a better turntable?

It has an Ortofon DN 105E cartridge not sure if this is good or not?

Any sugestions welcomed, it's being played through an Arcam Delta 2 amplified and Tannoy 603 speakers, I mostly listen to rock/pop albums from the 70s/80s - Misplaced Childhood is currently playing on it and doesn't sound too sharp!

Forgive the stupid question!

Regards,

Andy

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It was one of the budget recommendations of its era.

I would recommend that you hear what your possible budget will buy you, before getting it repaired. That will tell you if it's worth the effort.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
You could start here

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/cs-505.shtml

Which has alink to the manual. if it's like my cs601 you twist the top of the speed changer to make the strobe effect stationary on the platter edge to adjust the speed

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
First of all this may be of interest: http://abstractnoise.co.uk/2011/01/09/dual-505-2-mini-restoration-and-first-impressions/

I used to have a 505-2, and a very good deck it was too. If I were to stick my neck out I would say easily the equal of something costing £200-300 today.

But clearly your one is a little poorly, however it may be easy and cheap to make it better.

First, the buzzing noise means it is not currently earthed properly, or rather the moving of the cables indicates a loose connection. Assuming you have the earth wire securely tightened to the earth post on the back of your amp, then the connection problem could be at the other end (they often get pulled when moved when you forget to unscrew it from the amp end - done it myself, more than once, on every deck I have owned). So try and trace it back to inside the base, and into the arm cables if possible, to see if anything is loose.

Second, I was struck by your comment that it jumps when you go near it. It is a great suspended chassis deck (in the Thorens and Linn traditions) so shouldn't be very prone to footfall. Are the two 'transport screws' on top of the plinth still tightened down (this stops damage when it's being moved around)? If so just unscrew them so that the suspension works (the platter should bounce on its springs when pushed).

If that doesn't sort the jumping then the problem may lay with the stylus and/or tracking weight. Try setting the latter at around 2 grams (and also adjust the bias dial accordingly) to see if that helps. However, as you say that it sounds very 'flat' I suspect that you may have a worn/damaged stylus. Have a look on the bay and you should be able to get a replacement for around £10-£20 for that cartridge. While you are at it get a replacement drive belt too (less than a tenner).

In terms of the speed, a new belt should put things right, but other than that a proper strobe light is accurate but also pretty expensive. A strobe disk is cheaper (white paper or plastic with dots that appear static when at the correct speed in artificial light - but get one for the correct domestic voltage!), but cheaper still is a direct comparison with a track that you own on both CD and vinyl combined with your own ears (that are remarkable scientific instruments).

In conclusion I would definately try to nurse the old 505 back to life before giving up on it for something else!

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
I'd probably just pick up a much better example from ebay. (Especially if you can collect and see it working fine before payment.)

Yes, except that IF the earth wire issue is an easy fix, and IF the 'jumping' is merely down to the retaining screws not being released, then a new belt and stylus to bring it back to life could be had for £15-20 all in. You may be very lucky to find a nice 505 on the bay that is local for that price, but more likely you would be looking at £50 plus, particularly if you are not local and postage is included, in which case a big plus...

TRENDING THREADS