DTS aims for even-better HD Audio, plus enhanced streaming sound

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not enough solid info to write a news story from CES, but thought others may want to know that DTS is working on even-better quality sound formats.

According to company sources, quality above that of DTS-HD Master Audio is in development. We asked whether that could mean superior sound formats to sit alongside 4K-resolution picture - DTS said the improvements will be developed regardless...

Another key audio matter on DTS's collective minds at the moment is how to get better-quality audio from broadcast and streamed content, especially where bandwidth is limited.

For example, DTS has a system that allows audio to be streamed/broadcast in a stereo format then 'unzipped' into surround sound at the consumer end. It's also looking at how to work with receiver manufacturers to enhance the capabiltiies of AV receivers in handling streamed sources.

Enhanced in-car audio is the third area of interest for DTS.

Not sure if/when any of these developments will end up as a new DTS logo on disc packaging or the front of AV receivers, but watch this space!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Clare :) I have to say SQ is so high on the current formats that I can't see me going through another round of upgrades for a new format. But the unzipping into surround sound on broadcasts sounds very interesting.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They could start by using the higher sampling frequencies already available to Master Audio, or are they just going to drop a sound format before they've even tried to evolve it?

nads

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
What can be better than "Master Audio"?! :)

Sooper dooper audio.....
smiley-innocent.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MA-3D :rofl:

They've led us to believe that 24/192 is basically studio quality - Bluray is capable, and they've not even touched 24/96 yet! There really is no need for another sound format, but I suppose they're going to want some other format to accompany 4K2K.

nads

And if that means more players that can not cope with it I am sure there will be a lot of pissed people.

I was thinking new amp time but this has put me back. O. The I don't need one as I can get all I need with my current set up. But if this audio adds o the needs on 4k2k or what ever it is then....... Why bother?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Maybe they'll pull something out of the bag, like extra channels (although Bluray can deal with that), but seeing as we currently only get 24/48 from our DTS-MA movie soundtracks, there's still more to be had.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Actually it is explained as an "irreplaceable audio technoligy".Makes sense too call it DTS-HD MA+ or something to that effect,like DD+.But i suspect the 3D logo might be involved.Whats next though,DOLBY truerhd??

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Maybe they'll pull something out of the bag, like extra channels (although Bluray can deal with that), but seeing as we currently only get 24/48 from our DTS-MA movie soundtracks, there's still more to be had.

If the current capabilities of DTS-MA are not being used than I'd suggest that's either because the people creating the soundtracks aren't utilising it or (more likely) that even on Blu-ray it's difficult to fit 7.1 channels of 24/96 audio on one disc, along with extras, foreign language soundtracks etc etc, rather than any failing on DTS's part, and that's no reason for DTS to stop trying to innovate.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
More than likely the film companies.

Extras can be shifted to a second disc. The whole point, to me, of the Bluray format is high definition sound and high definition picture. We've seen what Bluray can do when the full picture quality is used with Avatar, but we've yet to be treated to what a Bluray is capable of with audio. At 24/96, eight channels can be encoded, and six channels at 24/192, and that would be with 50gb dual layered BD's. With higher storage, there would be no excuse not to have a higher sampling frequency. 250bg and 400gb discs have been demonstrated, and 1tb discs should soon be with us - no doubt for 4K2K (although I believe 100gb discs can hold all but the longest films in 4K2K on a single BD disc).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't diagree with any of that but again it's not down to DTS if filmakers choose not use the full capabilities of the technology and I wouldn't want them to sit back and think they didn't have to develop things any further.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Audio, like picture, is (generally) recorded to a very high standard, higher than what is possible from standard Bluray. When 4K2K comes along, we'll then be on par with digital cinema as far as picture quality is concerned, although a little compression might be involved. The same goes for audio. You only have to hear original music master tapes in comparison to the 'end result' CD that we end up with to hear what we miss.

What we end up with is the result of what the film studio can be bothered to get involved with. Audio codecs on Bluray that belong on DVD is just sloppy, and points to greed, as the companies just don't want to spend money perfecting their product for th paying public.

Just my view :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Audio, like picture, is (generally) recorded to a very high standard, higher than what is possible from standard Bluray. When 4K2K comes along, we'll then be on par with digital cinema as far as picture quality is concerned, although a little compression might be involved. The same goes for audio. You only have to hear original music master tapes in comparison to the 'end result' CD that we end up with to hear what we miss.

What we end up with is the result of what the film studio can be bothered to get involved with. Audio codecs on Bluray that belong on DVD is just sloppy, and points to greed, as the companies just don't want to spend money perfecting their product for th paying public.

Just my view :)

Perfectly put. I could not agree more with your opinions on this!

Sliced Bread

Clare Newsome said:
Not enough solid info to write a news story from CES, but thought others may want to know that DTS is working on even-better quality sound formats.

According to company sources, quality above that of DTS-HD Master Audio is in development. We asked whether that could mean superior sound formats to sit alongside 4K-resolution picture - DTS said the improvements will be developed regardless...

Another key audio matter on DTS's collective minds at the moment is how to get better-quality audio from broadcast and streamed content, especially where bandwidth is limited.

For example, DTS has a system that allows audio to be streamed/broadcast in a stereo format then 'unzipped' into surround sound at the consumer end. It's also looking at how to work with receiver manufacturers to enhance the capabiltiies of AV receivers in handling streamed sources.

Enhanced in-car audio is the third area of interest for DTS.

Not sure if/when any of these developments will end up as a new DTS logo on disc packaging or the front of AV receivers, but watch this space!

But DTS-HD MA is not even used to it's full capacity. Discs are generally at around the 2 to 2.4 mbps for audio out of the possible 24 mbps (ish) the format is capable of.

So unless this is more than an increase in bit-rate, I suspect that storage is the bigger hurdle.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
More than likely the film companies.

Extras can be shifted to a second disc. The whole point, to me, of the Bluray format is high definition sound and high definition picture. We've seen what Bluray can do when the full picture quality is used with Avatar, but we've yet to be treated to what a Bluray is capable of with audio. At 24/96, eight channels can be encoded, and six channels at 24/192, and that would be with 50gb dual layered BD's. With higher storage, there would be no excuse not to have a higher sampling frequency. 250bg and 400gb discs have been demonstrated, and 1tb discs should soon be with us - no doubt for 4K2K (although I believe 100gb discs can hold all but the longest films in 4K2K on a single BD disc).

lets not forget that all BD's are compressed, I work at a comunity center that also has a Cinema system and the films that arrive can be massive. Tinker Tailor... is the biggest I have seen @ 4k2k the film size was over 450GB (with 5.1 channel sound).

If the 'New' format does a better job at encoding/decoding then I am all for it. But the video side still takes more space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts