DSOTM 1992 vs 2011 remaster

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I've just heard the 1992 remaster as a mate was selling it for £1 so I bought it to see if its better than the 2011 remaster that I recently bought!

The 2011 remaster does it for me, sounds a lot warmer than the 1992 version, I found the 1992 remaster very tiring to listen to coming across quite bright, which my system is defiantely not!

anyway thought I would share this wth you all!

A

Anonymous

I've tried several diifferent versions, original vinyl, original cd, remastered cd, collectors box cd, Japanese black label cd and the sacd.

Of them all the sacd is best imho.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting.

You know what, I'm still not truly convinced they've ever gone back to the two-track analogue master for any of the post-1990 stereo remasters. Both of my DSotM CDs (one from the late 80s, the other is the 2011 remaster) have the famous 'ticket to ride' instrumental under the heartbeats at the end, and apparently that was a mastering error from when the LP was digitized. A true remaster from the earliest-available analogue tapes surely wouldn't have that on it. This makes me wonder if these so-called remasters are just re-EQ's (and compression) of the original digital transfer. My 2003 30th anniversary LP doesn't have it, so presumably the earliest mastertape doesn't have it either.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I can't here the ticket to ride at the end of the 2011 remaster? All I can hear is the heartbeat and some one saying there is no dark side of the moon?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Very interesting. You know what, I'm still not truly convinced they've ever gone back to the two-track analogue master for any of the post-1990 stereo remasters. Both of my DSotM CDs (one from the late 80s, the other is the 2011 remaster) have the famous 'ticket to ride' instrumental under the heartbeats at the end, and apparently that was a mastering error from when the LP was digitized. A true remaster from the earliest-available analogue tapes surely wouldn't have that on it. This makes me wonder if these so-called remasters are just re-EQ's (and compression) of the original digital transfer. My 2003 30th anniversary LP doesn't have it, so presumably the earliest mastertape doesn't have it either.

Interesting thread on this phenomenon on Steve Hoffman forum: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-216745.html

It's certainly not clearcut that this was not on the original master, and someone (on page 3) says they are able to hear it on vinyl. So, without better evidence I think you have to be tentative about the conclusion you draw. Having said that, DSOTM did not IMO provide the leap in performance that is there on The Wall and WYWH.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts