Downsizing...re

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Been downsizing everything in my life lately including my audio system. I’ve been trying a lot of gear in the more reasonably priced end of the hobby. In my media room I have replaced PMC Fact 12s and a devialet d400 with a musical fidelity m5si and a pair of dynaudio x34s. I didn’t jump straight to this particular kit but after trying a few options that didn’t work, I landed on this. My dac is a micromega myDac. The dac was purchased on close out for 50% off. The amp was purchased used for 50% off and the speakers were ex dems for about 40% off. It’s a budget system for sure but I am absolutely loving it. This MF m5si amp in particular is a steal for the money. Superb amp and just plain fun to listen to. Great clarity with bags of bass authority. I’m kinda blown away at how good this relatively affordable integrated amp from musical fidelity actually is. All 3 pieces cost me less than $3k in American dollars and sound pretty great. Highly recommend the dynaudio and musical fidelity pairing. Nothing replaces good synergy between speakers and amp.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
jaxwired said:
Hello all,

Been downsizing everything in my life lately including my audio system. I’ve been trying a lot of gear in the more reasonably priced end of the hobby. In my media room I have replaced PMC Fact 12s and a devialet d400 with a musical fidelity m5si and a pair of dynaudio x34s. I didn’t jump straight to this particular kit but after trying a few options that didn’t work, I landed on this. My dac is a micromega myDac. The dac was purchased on close out for 50% off. The amp was purchased used for 50% off and the speakers were ex dems for about 40% off. It’s a budget system for sure but I am absolutely loving it. This MF m5si amp in particular is a steal for the money. Superb amp and just plain fun to listen to. Great clarity with bags of bass authority. I’m kinda blown away at how good this relatively affordable integrated amp from musical fidelity actually is. All 3 pieces cost me less than $3k in American dollars and sound pretty great. Highly recommend the dynaudio and musical fidelity pairing. Nothing replaces good synergy between speakers and amp.

Hi Jax,

good to see you here again.

Sometimes life takes us in a direction and we think the worst, but in fact it's rarely as bad as you thought... as long as your enjoying the setup and still loving the music, that's what matters.

MF and Dyns make some great products.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

This almost belongs in the recent “Hifi bargains” thread! That sounds like a great buy.

Browsing ebay quite a bit recently, despite some slightly dubious ads, there seems to be mostly dealers with ends of ranges, good px gear, and enthusiasts wanting to move on good used kit. Very tempting to make system that way. Of my current system, only the speakers were full priced dealer supplied. The rest was used or open box, ex dem etc

I have ususlly found that at audio shows the better budget gear sounds superior to the more exotic stuff, probably because the rooms are more domestic sized and everything can be optimised. Get too high end and it all gets a bit flaky for me.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I have ususlly found that at audio shows the better budget gear sounds superior to the more exotic stuff, probably because the rooms are more domestic sized and everything can be optimised. Get too high end and it all gets a bit flaky for me.

Pretty much agree with you. A budget system can be highly satisfying but I think it requires more experimentation to get the right mix. I tried kef r500s before the dyns and they offered brilliant clarity and detail but they were too cold and analytical. They also lacked bass. As is typical for dynaudio, these x34s offer more bass than would seem possible given the modest drivers and cabinet.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
jaxwired said:
nopiano said:
I have ususlly found that at audio shows the better budget gear sounds superior to the more exotic stuff, probably because the rooms are more domestic sized and everything can be optimised.  Get too high end and it all gets a bit flaky for me. 

Pretty much agree with you. A budget system can be highly satisfying but I think it requires more experimentation to get the right mix.  I tried kef r500s before the dyns and they offered brilliant clarity and detail but they were too cold and analytical.  They also lacked bass.  As is typical for dynaudio, these x34s offer more bass than would seem possible given the modest drivers and cabinet.  

I had r700s and found my small atc scm11 better also

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts