downsizing from seperates to a marantz mcr603 thoughts?

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Recently having a quick tidy up of our lounge and trying to unclutter the place i have had a thought, should i swap in the nad 326 and dacmagic and get the neat little package that is the marantz???? My A/V rack is straining under the pressure! sky/ps3/amp/dac etc....

Here i have a few questions i wondered you guys and gals could answer.

1: Will there be a big significant drop in sound quality (my hearing isnt the best but i do like the brute force of the nad)

2: will they drive my wharfdale 10.1's ok

3: im using an airport express to stream my music wirelessly from my mac to my dacmagic, i see the mc603 isnt wireless so i will still need to use the airport express, i see i have two options with this that are either run an optical cable from the airport into the mcr603 or use the airport as a network extention and run a ethernet cable from the airport to mcr603, what would be the ideal situation? I cant run any ethernet cable as the router is in another room.

4: how much should i be looking to sell my nad amp and dacmagic for?

5: most important one i suppose is are the mcr603 any good as they seem relatively cheap but seem like a one box solution.

Thanyou.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
get a bigger rack..... lol. Look around the smaller furnisher shops - they have better racks than the big stores ( round our way anyway) if you like to feel your music that midi won't do it. For background music or light listening in the bedroom o.k. but if every now and then you like to close your eyes crank it up and go back in time.... hold on to your system....... 8)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
simon3102000 said:
Hello,

Recently having a quick tidy up of our lounge and trying to unclutter the place i have had a thought, should i swap in the nad 326 and dacmagic and get the neat little package that is the marantz???? My A/V rack is straining under the pressure! sky/ps3/amp/dac etc....

Here i have a few questions i wondered you guys and gals could answer.

1: Will there be a big significant drop in sound quality (my hearing isnt the best but i do like the brute force of the nad)

2: will they drive my wharfdale 10.1's ok

3: im using an airport express to stream my music wirelessly from my mac to my dacmagic, i see the mc603 isnt wireless so i will still need to use the airport express, i see i have two options with this that are either run an optical cable from the airport into the mcr603 or use the airport as a network extention and run a ethernet cable from the airport to mcr603, what would be the ideal situation? I cant run any ethernet cable as the router is in another room.

4: how much should i be looking to sell my nad amp and dacmagic for?

5: most important one i suppose is are the mcr603 any good as they seem relatively cheap but seem like a one box solution.

Thanyou.

You like 'brute force'? Keep your system. Better still, buy an even bigger NAD amp and bigger speakers.

They don't 'seem like a one box solution'. They are a one box solution.

They are relatively cheap now (if you can still get one). Three years ago - at launch - they were £499. (Same price as the new M-CR610 replacement.)

However, after reading your concerns, I think the M-CR603 (or the new M-CR610) will be wrong for you on a number of counts.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
If you really like brute force the Marantzs won't do it for you, as chebby says! That's not to say they're completely laid back, they just haven't got any steel toe caps :grin: . They do everything else well, however, and I diagree with this:

Thompsonuxb said:
... if you like to feel your music that midi won't do it. For background music or light listening in the bedroom o.k.

This really isn't true of the Marantz's abilities at all. I've got a 610 hooked up to a pair of Concept 20s in my front room and Thompsonuxb's comment couldn't be a more innacurate summary considering what I hear coming from the speakers. Not that it will effect you, but just to put this out there for anyone else. :) (and I'm not having a pop at you, Thompsonuxb :) )

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
SiUK said:
If you really like brute force the Marantzs won't do it for you, as chebby says! That's not to say they're completely laid back, they just haven't got any steel toe caps :grin: . They do everything else well, however, and I diagree with this:

Thompsonuxb said:
... if you like to feel your music that midi won't do it. For background music or light listening in the bedroom o.k.

This really isn't true of the Marantz's abilities at all. I've got a 610 hooked up to a pair of Concept 20s in my front room and Thompsonuxb's comment couldn't be a more innacurate summary considering what I hear coming from the speakers. Not that it will effect you, but just to put this out there for anyone else. :) (and I'm not having a pop at you, Thompsonuxb :) )

lol.... not putting the MR603 down, but its relative - there is loud and there is loud. I don't doubt your system but back to back against that NAD amp..... the man called it a brute.....

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
fair play guys, yeah i kinda thought i would miss the nad if i sold it!
I did think the mcr603 would be a good all rounder but i do like to crank it up sometimes and give it some beans!

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Given the low cost of the Marantz (if you can still find one) I'd suggest just buying one & trying it. Even if you can't find a retailer with a trial period then you should be able to resell for very little loss if it's not up to the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts