Downloading Music / Torrents If You Own Orignal?

Witterings

If you have bought and paid for an album (or any music) in the past and still have it to prove ownership (a bunch of warped viynl in the loft) is it legal to download copies as in essence you've already paid for the right to use it?

If so does anyone know of any sites that download it in album form withbreaks between the tracks so if you hit the skip button it jumps to the next track?

EDIT: Meant to say UK based.

Last edited:

Cinjun

Nov 24, 2021
Visit site
That's a very good question. I'm sure lawyers have wording that guarantees multiple payments to an artist. Such as, "Do you want to buy it again?"

nads

Your location has much to do with things as well. For example is it legal to have a digital copy that you have ripped from a CD you own?

in some countries it is legal to have a number of copies. But that number is not a constant.

Witterings

Your location has much to do with things as well. For example is it legal to have a digital copy that you have ripped from a CD you own?

in some countries it is legal to have a number of copies. But that number is not a constant.

I meant to actually put ot in the original post so thank you for that .... I'm UK based.

Partof the reason for the query as well, I have some ripped CD's and others I'd like in digital format, it's easier / quicker though to download them than load each CD and set it to run.

DCarmi

From a strictly legal aspect and with no background in UK law...

The law is an ass in this respect but as far as I am aware, it is legal to rip a CD, you own for your own personal use only. It is not legal to rip a CD and then sell or give it away. I think it is illegal to duplicate a CD onto CD-R (not certain, here).

Obtaining free copies of ripped music using sources other than your own media (e.g. a damaged LP) is probably frowned on by the law. It is likely the copy you source will not be the same as the copy you had, as CDs are often re-mastered or re-packaged. Take Peter Gabriel's So. Discogs list 283 different releases, depending on format and country. Some have 8 tracks and some 9 and some in different running order and at least one remaster.

If you were to damaged a book or a cup, would you expect a free replacement?

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

The law is an ass in this respect
....and it has flip-flopped in the UK.
Not sure what the current situation is, but you can be 100% sure that the majority don't think, or care about it.

I've got a CD recorder which allows one perfect, digital copy of a disc from a source player. You can't then use the copy to make another digital copy.
But with the original disc still in the source player, you can make as many perfect 'single' digital copies as you wish 🤔
...Just another example of copyright protection stupidity.

Reactions: nopiano

DCarmi

I’m pretty sure we’ve had threads on copying before, and as @Gray says the rules have changed several times. I’m very certain that as many people have been charged for this as have been for using hosepipes during a drought. Namely none!
Yup! The government relaxed the rules in 2014 and then the BPI went to the High Court and got them reinstated and then the government introduced "modified" legislation. Now you have the rights to backup your blu-rays but you cannot break DRM!

You are right that the BPI have no interest in prosecuting the public. They focus on getting sharing sites blocked by ISPs.

Witterings

I’m pretty sure we’ve had threads on copying before, and as @Gray says the rules have changed several times. I’m very certain that as many people have been charged for this as have been for using hosepipes during a drought. Namely none!

Sounds like it's pretty much a grey area so I may as well ..... I'll definitely be out with the hosepipe over the weekend!

Friesiansam

That's not what the OP was asking about, as far as I can gather.
I agreed with the post I quoted also, the OP said the following in a later post:
Partof the reason for the query as well, I have some ripped CD's and others I'd like in digital format, it's easier / quicker though to download them than load each CD and set it to run.

RJW232

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
If the law hasn't changed in the UK, officially it's not legal. I remember that when iTunes/iPods were launched it was nog legal to rip your CD's and put them on your iPod via iTunes. In the UK. In The Netherlands and at least some other EU countries it's legal. Which seems logical, since even if you buy music on a physical medium, you still don't own the music, you only have the "right to use". So if you only have the right to use, the medium should be irrelevant. However, the UK (and the US as well) may have some hybrid legistlation where the medium is part of the deal. Which is strange IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts