Download the Awards 2011 special edition now!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The digital edition of the Awards 2011 issue is now available to download - click here

Lots more content in the magazine that isn't online, including 20 First Tests, all the lowdown on just why the Award winners won, set-up advice, and more - including a very special technology timeline marking the 35th anniversary of the magazine.

Enjoy :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, due to the special edition nature of the Awards issue, we work to the wire re timing, plus try and reveal all on the same day. Both these elements mean we can't post subs issues until day before issue goes on sale. It'll be worth the wait, honest - thanks for your patience.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello, good work on the awards!

just noticed a typo in the awards microsite - the AKG K450s are stated to have a guide price of £130, but the rrp is £100 for these (and they're available at Amazon with free delivery for £39.69!). Quite a bargain!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Yes, due to the special edition nature of the Awards issue, we work to the wire re timing, plus try and reveal all on the same day.

When was the Awards ceremony in the video then (Nice frock btw*)? Couldn't have been last night, unless you all went to that and then sat up all night getting the website updated?

*Clare's I mean...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The ceremony was a couple of weeks ago, but we don't produce the issue until afterwards - all the judging etc is done, then we have to write it (including the First Tests of kit we've reviewed for the Awards, but not yet published),the sales team have to sell the ads and the manufacturers/retailers have to run around trying to find/stock enough product.

The magazine only printed last weekend - and it's a big print run for this issue - and then we had to build/populate this website, record/edit the videos and prepare for the Manchester Show.

Which is why any visitors to the event can expect to find us looking a little tired!

duncansbby

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering why it was cheaper to download the issue via Zinio on my mac, then read on the ipad, than to purchase direct on the ipad, but I guess it's to cover the in app cut that Apple take.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks WhatHifi team!

I'm browsing through the mag right now
smiley-smile.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
duncansbby said:
I was wondering why it was cheaper to download the issue via Zinio on my mac, then read on the ipad, than to purchase direct on the ipad, but I guess it's to cover the in app cut that Apple take.

Ah yes, Apple is never knowingly under-compensated ;)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
So you're relying on the Award winners to keep it under their hats for a couple of weeks? What a lovely, honest industry this is! :)

Well the trust works both ways - manufacturers often reveal top-secret product plans to us under embargo, and we respect those, too.

Because, let's face it, there's very little point us writing about a product - or a manufacturer/retailer shouting about an Award - if the most important element in all this, you lovely consumers, can't get hold of it/audition it/find out enough info to know if it may be for you.

And no retailer or manufacturer knows any of the Awards results until we present them at the ceremony. They may have high hopes based on tests we've published beforehand, but we're reviewing right up to the Awards themselves, including brand-new products that haven't yet appeared in the magazine, so nothing is certain.

As you'll see from the Awards issue, there are a good few winners that only have their First Test in that same issue :)

John Duncan

Clare Newsome said:
They may have high hopes based on tests we've published beforehand, but we're reviewing right up to the Awards themselves, including brand-new products that haven't yet appeared in the magazine, so nothing is certain.

And of course, even if those hopes are dashed everybody's magnanimous about it, right?

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
duncansbby said:

Don't forget the in app price includes vat, whereas the online price is plus vat, though in the case of What Hifi it does appear there is a 30p difference, where many other mags work out the same, clearly What HiFi must be a premium product on the iPad!!

duncansbby

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
GetCarter said:
Clare Newsome said:
duncansbby said:

Don't forget the in app price includes vat, whereas the online price is plus vat, though in the case of What Hifi it does appear there is a 30p difference, where many other mags work out the same, clearly What HiFi must be a premium product on the iPad!!

Well that's 30p towards that Pansonic P42gt30 which for some reason I really really fancy now.
Panasonic TX-P42GT30
Panasonic TX-P42GT30

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We did have a basic video with brief clips from the Awards night up when the site went live, but only until we could upload the final edit of the more polished production that's there now. We really were working up to the wire with this one :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts