Downgrading attemp, any suggestion guys?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all advise so far.

The AVI pop up here more than other so I had a read about them on AVI website.
I couldn't believe what I just read.....What a lot of garbish!!!!

Ipod is as good as the best cd player ever made!???!
C'mon, that is the most silly one liner I have ever read from someone who should know (much) better! Of course to AVI, we are all just born yesterday.

That put me right off the gears even if the ADM9 sound better than my Acoustic Zen Adagio(my money on they are not the same class though) I wouldn't even considering demo them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
emotion-40.gif

I'd guess they are not in the same class as your gammut etc etc but then you did ask to downgrade. Plus they are a grand man not 7, 8k or whatever your system costs. For that money it would just be absolutely silly to seriously criticise them though as usual, Ashley James has ruffled a few feathers with his website/views. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned by all parties?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:Thanks for all advise so far.

The AVI pop up here more than other so I had a read about them on AVI website.
I couldn't believe what I just read.....What a lot of garbish!!!!

Ipod is as good as the best cd player ever made!???!
C'mon, that is the most silly one liner I have ever read from someone who should know (much) better! Of course to AVI, we are all just born yesterday.

That put me right off the gears even if the ADM9 sound better than my Acoustic Zen Adagio(my money on they are not the same class though) I wouldn't even considering demo them.

Silly Thaiman, considering the garbage that some of other big names make about cables, or whatever... just as stupid. Yes, the iPod line is probably dumb, but no dumber than the any other nonsense.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
emotion-40.gif

Sorry DM mate. I know you are a big fan but to advertise products using statement like AVI did is insulting someone like me who spend hard earn cash on the best source for the money. I have 2 Ipods and they sound OK for a potable MP3 player, a dedicate HiFi player replacement....it ain't, and never will be.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:drummerman:
emotion-40.gif
Sorry DM mate. I know you are a big fan but to advertise products using statement like AVI did is insulting someone like me who spend hard earn cash on the best source for the money. I have 2 Ipods and they sound OK for a potable MP3 player, a dedicate HiFi player replacement....it ain't, and never will be.

Fair play TM. I'm only just thinking about embracing streamers/laptop as alternative sources myself so I keep my mouth firmly shut until I know more but when I heard darrens set up I have to admit it was good though we did'nt (I think) listen to any MP3 files.

Yes, Ashley James of AVI has a knack of winding people up with his website. I dont know why he does it. Even if he is right there are other ways to go about it without alienating people and loosing possible sales in the process. Still, I've heard he is a decent bloke and he does seem helpful.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
OK...I might have a bad day (twisted my back swinging!)

Frog have a good point about cables advertising. Sorry if I offened anyone although my feeling of "over hype advertising" still the same. If Mr. James said Ford Fiesta are as good to drive as Porch 911 then there will be a lot of people laughing at him....no different to Ipod/best cd player in the world comparison.

I am now will move on from this matter...Thanks Guys

keep suggestion coming and please don't think I have been through a lots of HiFi, I should know about every HiFi equipment in the world! On many Chess game, the player spot the obvious move slower than spectators.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Strange, I just read the websitye again, and I think they need to clarify. I think he may be talking about taking a digital signal from the iPod, and using the DAC in the ADM9s(which I dont think you can do)...he says..."...it's simply the conversion to analogue that is awry."
I wonder?

Rather than getting in a huff, why don't you email him?

After all, your speakers are apparently "The most musically coherent loudspeakers ever" ... quite a bold, and unprovable claim too!

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
emotion-40.gif

though as usual, Ashley James has ruffled a few feathers with his website/views. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned by all parties?

YAWN. I'll EAT my HAT if he ever managed to take on board anybody elses opinion other than his own. Typical post being: ' Buy Actives, get a Mac, destroy PC , cd transports rubbish/unreliable, Ipod great, hifi seps is dinosaur technology/ hifi community behind the times'. He doesn't respond the idea that many of us want our media in physical form (cd's, LPs) not to mention the process of record shopping, album cover art etc). Worse of all he thinks (imho) we're dumb as hell for not following his line of thinking. Anyone who is so one sided in his arguments doesn't come across well - I think he'd do well to remember other people have brains too. Love his enthusiasm but really, i'm finding trying to have a balanced discussion with him is like xxxxg in the wind. Sure he's a lovely guy though and good to have him around the forum.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:
After all, your speakers are apparently "The most musically coherent loudspeakers ever" ... quite a bold, and unprovable claim too!

Not far off the truth :) They made my old be-loved Amphion sound harsh! I am just sold them so still a bit sad....my room feel empty!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:fr0g:

Not far off the truth :) They made my old be-loved Amphion sound harsh! I am just sold them so still a bit sad....my room feel empty!

:/
Poor Thaiman, I hope you got nice clubs!

A

Anonymous

Go vintage Elvis! Get yourself a nice vintage JVC with some lovely Wharfedale E50s...can't beat it for £150 IMHO.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman, are you going to change your clubs on a weekly basis too? Every time you have a bad game? Your poor wife. Is there not room in your life for golf and hifi?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Good piont Joel mate but I really need to be able to play golf very well by next January! I am hitting minimum of 150 balls a day and that is my spare times gone! Ipod is saving my life at the moment...:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts