Downgrading attemp, any suggestion guys?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Due to my new found love, I am now gonna play more golf than sit in door listening to HiFi! Therefore what I have is costing too much to be sitting there waiting for that few minutes of glorious tunes to be play!

So £2K is the budget for the lot! I don't mind 2nd hand either as long as it's not Arcam. Every other suggestion very welcome.

Your truly

E.A.P

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:Due to my new found love, I am now gonna play more golf than sit in door listening to HiFi! Therefore what I have is costing too much to be sitting there waiting for that few minutes of glorious tunes to be play!

So £2K is the budget for the lot! I don't mind 2nd hand either as long as it's not Arcam. Every other suggestion very welcome.

Your truly

E.A.P

Don't forget winter!
-
Anyway there is the obvious ADM9 route (keeping your Musiccast thingy)

(You've got your eye on a set of Pings haven't you!)

John Duncan

emotion-3.gif

John Duncan

Music server or CD based?

If the former, Squeezebox and ADM9s look good value, and even a Transporter would still be in budget. If the latter, I would go way, way down budget, since then at least you'll know (and accept) why it doesn't sound as good as your old gear........

John Duncan

Not if you get a NAS - Network Area Storage - box (which can be had for a hundred quid and up, depending on size), which can run the software a squeezebox requires (Squeezeserver or Slimserver, I forget). Obviously this has to be on, but can be hidden away somewhere and forgotten about.

Fr0g's your man, if you want to go explore this route seriously.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
" Thaiman, don't do it. It will make you so unhappy!"

John Duncan:

"I agree, which is why I said go right downmarket - then at least it'll have a reason to sound average!"

I agree with you guys, when a normal speaker setup is concerned- if we're talking high end headphones, however, I believe there's a good deal of satisfaction to be had for 2000.

Keeping the stello dac and ordering Grado GS1000 from the States would be my choice. If a headamp is needed then try graham slee solo.

If you're not keen on headphones, in your place I wouldn't consider to downgrade. Better save some money on second hand golf sticks. You know your way around Ebay anyway.

A

Anonymous

I think this is the 1st downgrade thread, good luck thaiman...
looks like arcam 've ben blacklisted...hahaha

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:Due to my new found love, I am now gonna play more golf than sit in door listening to HiFi!

Funny that I am moving from playing golf to listening to HiFi !ÿ

A

Anonymous

"ST Chan wrote the following post at Sat, Jul 05 2008 4:33 PM:

Thaiman:
Due to my new found love, I am now gonna play more golf than sit in door listening to HiFi!

Funny that I am moving from playing golf to listening to HiFi !"

Exchange gear. Job done.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman, if you really want to downgrade I've got just the deal for you, which will alow you to buy a new set of Calloways. It will also sound splendid and fit in with your new lifestyle. You won't even notice that your Gamut has gone...

http://www.tmchomecinema.co.uk/product_details.asp?ProductID=266

Oh, and it looks fabulous. It will surely get the WAF, she can listen to it while polishing your new clubs.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Bad day TM?

Well, it does'nt sound so daft to me. When you've reached the lofty heights of some of the stuff you own, it can be good to start again and maybe tackle the whole thing from a different angle.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to embrace a pc/mac based set up (perhaps with actives?). Something altogether different so you wont immediately hanker after your 'old' collection of boxes and something which, in the future, you could run separate from a more conventional hifi which you'll surely will buy again. You are a serial upgrader after all.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
So, my suggestion for you buddy is;

AVI ADM9.1

+ Sub (I have'nt heard that one yet but I think you need a sub to complement them)

Squeezebox Duett

Imac mini or laptop

A

Anonymous

Just get an ipod with a good set of hear phones, it will probably give your cd system a good 100m sprint, coming of only a slight loser and you will be able to cart it round the golf course therefore combing your two favourite hobbies

A

Anonymous

Is Jolida available in the UK? If so I say Jolida amplification hands down. I heard a cayen the other day and I didn't hear anything I don't at home.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I believe you can get them here but dont quote me on it. Alternatively a Puresound 'Bewitch' A30, ProAc Studio 110's and again perhaps a PC/S/Box Duet as source.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matt444_2000:Just get an ipod with a good set of hear phones, it will probably give your cd system a good 100m sprint, coming of only a slight loser and you will be able to cart it round the golf course therefore combing your two favourite hobbies

Coming off only a slight loser? LOL LOL LOL LOL. Chalk and cheese my friend.

matthewpiano

I think the ipod idea is far fetched but I'd be very tempted to go down the squeezebox based route Thaiman. I've been a sceptic for ages but the more I use it, the more I'm being converted. Its ultra convenient, easy to use, and sounds superb.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:I think the ipod idea is far fetched but I'd be very tempted to go down the squeezebox based route Thaiman. I've been a sceptic for ages but the more I use it, the more I'm being converted. Its ultra convenient, easy to use, and sounds superb.

It only sounds superb with another DAC IMO. The stock sound is average (And given TM's experience would send him into convulsions.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
fr0g:matthewpiano:I think the ipod idea is far fetched but I'd be very tempted to go down the squeezebox based route Thaiman. I've been a sceptic for ages but the more I use it, the more I'm being converted. Its ultra convenient, easy to use, and sounds superb. It only sounds superb with another DAC IMO. The stock sound is average (And given TM's experience would send him into convulsions.

ADM9 (.1)

A

Anonymous

Come on surely no one took my statement seriously, i was only jesting

A

Anonymous

ST Chan:
Thaiman:Due to my new found love, I am now gonna play more golf than sit in door listening to HiFi!

Funny that I am moving from playing golf to listening to HiFi !

Now there speaks a wise man..............

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Ah... if only we were on a golf equipment forum, then I'd be of more use!

Don't really know how you should downgrade your system, do know rather a lot about golf equipment
emotion-1.gif

Once you've downgraded your hi-fi, start another thread about what golf gear to buy with the money that you've saved
emotion-5.gif

If you have a taste for the finer things in life, you may well find golf more expensive than hi-fi, especially if you start getting better at the sport. You'll change gear often, there's no way round it unfortunately.

Instead of Meridian and Linn, we have Ozik and Roddio. Just as much fun!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts