dont know much, need help!!

John Duncan

Depends. The honest answer is no - it's not hifi at all. But could it be enormous fun? Sure.

Putting this and these together would make a much more 'hifi' system for not much more - more control, more natural, more musical. But will it rock the house down at parties, give you thumping bass on dance music and annoy the neighbours? Maybe not so much.

So depends what you're looking for really.......

A

Anonymous

well i mostly listen to hiphop and rap music so i this suited to that kind of music?

A

Anonymous

so your saying not to go with my choice for that style of music?

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I can talk about this system as I had the model before it and I was so disappointed with it I sold it on ebay for half the price and still was happy

I'm into Hip Hop, R&B and Dance music and it was good for bass well some parts as it didn't pick up different notes and it was boomy too

The Panasonic is about £200 I think I would go to richer sounds and they could help you pick out a nice amp and CD player and some nice cheap floorstanding speakers that will rock and you will hear the music rather than have it shoved at you in an uncontrolled mess

If you have an ipod they have a good system for around £120 with floorstanding speakers all you would have to do is add a sub for around £100 and off you go - ok it's not high end but it would be far better than the Panasonic

On a side note I loved Technics who were owned by Panasonic

A

Anonymous

Yes... I imagine the one with the most superfluous drivers and ports sounds best. And let's not forget the added sound quality derived from the shiny plastic knobs and blinking lights.

Seriously though, they're rubbish. I really don't want to editorialize but I think you're looking for a stereo that looks cool. All the "go-fast" bits on these things mean nothing. Your music will sound like cowpats. Swing into richer sounds, look at the wee little things JD et al suggested. Then try hard to forget that they don't look like Captain Picard's Bidet, and listen to them. You may notice something called music ekeing its way out. It'll be new to you so you may need to sit down for a while.

EDIT: Oooh 700 watts????? I'd love to see how they figured that one out. I thought standards in advertising were enforced to some degree in the EU?

A

Anonymous

Hey Pinderrr here's an alternative option for you if you can stretch to 265 quid and it's an AV system.

Yamaha AV63 system consisting of a 5x105w surround sound amp, a centre speaker, 4 satellite speakers and an active subwoofer. (go to Peter Tyson online and have a gander at it) 200 quid incl. del.

Toshiba sd580 dvd player for your disc duties from amazon 65 quid incl. del. (5 star review here on this site)

My friend's got the amp and speakers and they sound suprisingly good- goes loud with good bass from the sub. Plus it's well built and i felt he certainly got his money's worth.

FazZ

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi ' pinderrr '

I think you can see, there is 'no' real answer here, because you could spend as little as £30 GBP on a tiny system and feel happy with it, you could spend the £200 GBP on the system and be even happier with it. you could spend £400 GBP and be even more happier with it.

The bottom line is, you get what you pay for and you are what you eat.

OK, so this day and age I could be more cynical and easily start a brand slag-off war by saying don't buy this, because it's bad value, poor sound, doesn't match the cats collar or whatever, but war begets was and never solved anything.

I would say do not corner yourself into finding a system to work with one style of music.ÿ Sure, it's best to find a bit of kit that works better for your audio preferences, but being open minded a little will extend the life of the system as it will grow with your musical tastes, phases and maturity, but ultimately not bottle neck any music/sound you want to listen too.

With all this in mind, I would honestly wait.ÿ Yeah, I'm the patient type and learned by other people's mistakes that rushing to spend your hard earned money, usually results in bad rash decisions.

So how long do you wait? This isn't a question I can answer, but one you can easily.ÿ Go listen to some kit!ÿ Take a couple of original CD's (meaning not music in a compressed format) and try your ears to some hardware.ÿ Start at the low-end hardware and DO avoid systems that are beyond you budget in this (realistic) lifetime, it will just either confuse you or upset you, honestly!

If you are strong and understand audio hardware then fine, dive in the deep end, but it could be overwhelming and make matters worse for you.ÿ I suggest hear the low-end kits from £100 GBP and keep raising the budget bar by listening to the next system up and NOT by the same brands either, but more by the value that their price tag represents and of course all the other requirements you expect from your system.

All systems and all brands sound very different and can't be always be judged by the budget spent on them, even though this is how most manufacturers usually do it. again you get what you pay, but you truly can get a good value system that sounds very close to something that might cost twice as much, but will vary in the type of environment you put it into, the style of music you want to hear and of course it's last-ability.

This is the reason you need to take a CD with you that you know very well and listen to the same tracks on the various systems.ÿ Again it's a little repetitive, but you'll hear the difference, believe me!

So the answer is, keep listening to systems and slowly increase the value of the system to see the difference it makes, when you feel both happy with the sound and the budget, your problems are half over.ÿ I say half, because you'll soon become a hi-fi nut and start living on the What Hi-Fi forums night after night, waiting for your newly bought system to bloody arrive!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
FazZ has hit a point there.

Basically, you have asked a question about Hi-Fi, on a Hi-Fi forum. I think the issue here is that most people on this forum would not consider either of those items to be a Hi-Fi, only a "stereo". Hi-Fi is sort of a term for something that allows the true sound of the recorded music out of the box.

So I think the comment above about choosing the prettiest, whilst a maybe little patronising, had some merit in that the guys here don't think that they will sound much different, and therefore the choice (if indeed you wish to restrict it to those two units) should be made on aesthetics.

Sorry I can't be of more help - should you wish to buy a system that is the best sound quality for the money, then JohnDuncan's suggestion is right up there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts