Don’t rent an OLED or TV

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Doesn’t workout too bad if my calculations are correct. Someone who is short of cash might benefit from this deal.

It turns out to be frightfully expensive. £10.49 per week over 5 years for a 55-inch TV is £2800. And you can buy it outright for £1049. You would expect most people (except gel of course) to keep the TV throughout the 5-year warranty period at least.

I've owned the 50-inch Panasonic plasma for 8 years and 32-inch Samsung TV for 13 years. I would've ended up paying a lot lot more if I decided to go rental route.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
It turns out to be frightfully expensive. £10.49 per week over 5 years for a 55-inch TV is £2800. You would expect most people (except gel of course) to keep the TV throughout the 5-year warranty period at least.

I've owned the 50-inch Panasonic plasma for 8 years and 32-inch Samsung TV for 13 years. I would've ended up paying a lot lot more if I decided to go rental route.
You can upgrade each year though (I think). Wouldnt recommend it though just highlighting a potential deal for some.

I always wonder who in their right mind is enticed by '50% off for for three months'.
It turns out to be frightfully expensive. £10.49 per week over 5 years for a 55-inch TV is £2800. And you can buy it outright for £1049. You would expect most people (except gel of course) to keep the TV throughout the 5-year warranty period at least.

I think you are quite right but in my experience those that rent are those that have no other option.
They can't afford to buy outright and cannot get a credit card etc.

I think you are quite right but in my experience those that rent are those that have no other option.
They can't afford to buy outright and cannot get a credit card etc.
Agree. Although in case of TVs, if people can't afford, it's better to buy a cheap second hand TV rather than renting the latest 2022 OLED. I remember buying my first TV (28-inch JVC) second hand for £40 in 2004.

Reactions: Al ears

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Agree. Although in case of TVs, if people can't afford, it's better to buy a cheap second hand TV rather than renting the latest 2022 OLED. I remember buying my first TV (28-inch JVC) second hand for £40 in 2004.
You can get one for £3.99 a week although not an OLED TV.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
That's a 32-inch refurbished (meaning used) TV. Minimum 12 months commitment. So you pay £208 for a used TV, when you can buy a 32-inch TV brand new for £199 and keep it forever. Or buy a used 32-inch TV for a lot less.
That’s true.

Friesiansam

I just remembered, back in 1994 I rented a TV from Granada, in Wells, Somerset, intending to keep it for a year or so. A few months later I won a TV in a draw at work.

I went to the hire shop to ask them to take their TV back but, the staff just didn't seem to believe me and refused to do anything about it. I went home, put the TV in my car and around half an hour later, I went back in to the hire shop and parked the TV in the middle of the shop floor. Never heard anything more from them.

Reactions: WayneKerr

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS