Dolby true hd eludes me.. Help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased a Toshiba EP-35 HD DVD and have connected this to my Onkyo TX-SR605 AV Reciever and despite going all through both manuals i cannot get the Dolby True HD! I am using the movie 300 which comes in dthd but is seems that i can only get the words 'multichannel' on the dislpay with hdmi and pcm written above in smaller text.... Am i doing something wrong. Its connect diect to the amp with HDMI and i've assigned the dvd to hdmi input 1 Any body know more???

nads

set it as follows.
Digital Out SPDIF---> Bitstream
Digital out HDMA---->Auto
Digital Direct Audio Mode----->Off
Dynamic Range Control------>Off
Dialog Enhancement------>Off

also do not forget to sellect the true setting in the language setting for the disc.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the very quick response. When you say 'set it ' are you refering to the HD DVD player?

nads

Oh and i had the Onk on the standard settings and the red lights then lite up a treat.and the sound was something else. had pans laberinth on the other day and that is a DTS master 7.1 recording..... new rear speakers i might just have to! Oh same settings for that.

A

Anonymous

I have the EP35 and the 705, so basically the same kit.

The problem I found was that after setting all the options on the amp and player correctly I still kept seeing PCM rather than that bright red "True HD"!

I can never remember which way round it is, but success ends up down to the sequence in which you do the following:

- switching on DVD player, loading a disc and selecting True HD from the audio soundtrack options.

- switching on the amp, flicking it over to DVD input

I still get it wrong now and end up faffing between the two. If you believe all your settings are right then try experimenting with sequencing (unless someone helpful posts the definitive order after my post).

nads

strange. with the above settings on my EX1 and the standard settings on the 805 it does not matter what order things are done. As long as you do remember to selcet the correct sound track.

A

Anonymous

It definitely makes a difference on mine. If I've watched a HD-DVD in True-HD for example, then the EP35 has been switched off, followed by watching TV and then wanting to stick a True HD film on again.

If I remember rightly what happened last time:

- I switched the amp over to DVD

- switched the EP35 on, loaded a disc, selected soundtrack

- amp still showed PCM.

- Then I either flicked the amp off and on again or restarted the EP35 and it was fine.

I've never bothered looking at it properly as it's not a major problem, and can't test now as away from home.

A

Anonymous

I had exactly the same problem with exatly same Amp and HD DVD. I
could not get it to work trying any of the suggested methods. I read
the DVD manual more carfully and selected Digital Direct Audio mode as On, then selected True HD English from Disc menu, this worked for me.

None of this turning on and off business.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for all your input. I was told today that i would need the latest HDMI 1.3 cable so i bought the Chord silver one ( £100 for 3metres... bloody shocking) and changed the setting on the disc but again no 'True HD' on the display yet.... Hmmmm. I have also tried on and off with both too. But i can say the Chord hdmi cable makes the sound slightly more punchy and the picture a fraction sharper and brighter. Anyway i will get there in the end..... I even connected it up for the firmware upgrade but it said it was already done. : - {} If i hadn't seen it in the shop i would think it does'nt exist

nads

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Please take the cable back as you have wasted £100. i have mine connected with the supplied HDMI cable and it works. If you have your setting as i said above and you have reset the amp it should be fine. but i will have another look at the amp setting. i think you need to turn the HDMI pass through off.

A

Anonymous

Oh ok. I needed a 3 metre cable anyway as i had to move the player a bit further away and it was either £79 or £99 so i chose the Chord as its a best seller.

nads

it would have been mine as well a few months ago if i had seen a similar post. i know you will have seen more cables than me. but having done blind test with 3 cables all the same length using the same kit etc i could not see any difference. Also talking to a very good friend, who works in the design of digital consumer equipment, over Xmas i raised the improvement argument. It got quite heated. But if a cable is made to the standard (including the fixing) they will all pass the same digital info just as well as each other. Or they will not pass the data. the image is created in the receiver in the TV. So what you see is not really effected by the cable. the receiver either gets the data or it does not. But what got me was the sales man saying that a 1.3 cable would fix the problem as 1 the one included will do the job. (mine does it) and 2 it obviously did not fix the problem. ;)

A

Anonymous

Yes I connected it up to my router and went into maintenance.. Chose Upgrade .. and it then said i had the latest

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"]But if a cable is made to the standard (including the fixing) they will all pass the same digital info just as well as each other. Or they will not pass the data. the image is created in the receiver in the TV. So what you see is not really effected by the cable. the receiver either gets the data or it does not.[/quote] #

Ah, the old 'digits is digits' argument. But then if there are problems with the data, the error correction at the receiving end must work harder to compensate for them, hence a loss of performance.

But hey, if you can see/hear no difference, look how much money you're saving.

nads

anyway back on topic, i just put in Blade runner and had the same problem. so i went and put in 2001 which i knew i has seen with true HD lights on. play play different amp settings .... then changed the player to this
Digital Out SPDIF---> Bitstream
Digital out HDMI---->Auto
Digital Direct Audio Mode----->On
Dynamic Range Control------>Off
Dialog Enhancement------>Off

the True lights cam on on 2001 and i am now watching Blade Runner with True HD sound. hope this fixes it.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"]but having done blind test with 3 cables all the same length using the same kit etc i could not see any difference.[/quote]

Mmm, I know you want to stay on topic, but just wanted to say, just because you can't see a difference, doesn't mean someone else can't as well. Best advice is to say try it, if you can't see a difference take it back, if you can, keep it. That way everyone is a winner.

Now, please(!), no more discussions on this as I can't see how you can improve on the above advice. Whatever your take on the digital cable argument, the above works for you (and who cares what someone else thinks!).

A

Anonymous

Hurrah...

I changed the digital direct audio mode to on as you described above and whallah ... TRUE HD no longer eludes me..
Thanks again Nads..

TRENDING THREADS