Decoding HD Audio - If the player decodes it, Is There Any Point Upgrading My AV Amp?

jl151080

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a Cambridge Audio 540 R V2 (pre HDMI/pre Blu Ray). The pre outs are connected to a Cambridge Audio 740A stereo amp which I use to power my front speakers (Mordaunt Short Avant 906i). The stereo amp is connected to a Cambridge Audio 740C CD player, so my stereo and 5.1 set up is in the same system.

On boxing day, I bought a Cambridge Audio 351R to repace my 540R V2, not realising that it doesn't have pre outs so I can't use it to connect to my 740A amp.

My original plan was to upgrade my AV amp to one that can decode DTS HD/Dolby HD. However, I have a Cambridge Audio 751 BD player and have subsequently discovered that, as this player decodes DTS HD and Dolby HD on board and, using the multichannel analogue outputs, sends this to the reciever so, as I understand it, there is little point in upgrading the reciever.

I plan on taking the 351R back to Richer Sounds but, as 7 days have passed since purchase, I doubt they will give me a refund.

I'm not sure what do to now. I could pay an extra £100 for a a Cambridge Audio 551 R, which does have pre outs, but as my player decodes the HD audio anyway is there any point?

My only other option is to upgrade my front speakers (the 906is), but I have no idea what to go for. My rear speakers are 902is and centere speaker is a 905i.

Is there any point in upgrading the amp if my player decodes the HD audio anyway? Sound quality is my biggest interest.

abacus

The final quality is determined by the quality of the decoder, and you may find that one in a AV receiver (No two manufactures are the same) gives a better performance, (Or may have features to improve the performance further) but then again you may not, the only way to know is to try a few receiver’s out to see if you prefer them over your CA and take it from there.

Hope this helps

Bill

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jl151080 said:
Is there any point in upgrading the amp if my player decodes the HD audio anyway? Sound quality is my biggest interest.

Only if you buy an amp with better analogue stages and power amplification, which could improve the overall sound of your system. But then that might have you hankering after better speakers, and on that inevitable upgrade spiral. So realistically, at this stage, the answer is probably no – subject of course to you one day hearing something that knocks your socks off!

jl151080

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I took the amp back to Richer Sounds yesterday. They wouldn't give me a full refund - knocked £60 off. Annoying, since the amp was never even connected up, but at least I got the majority back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts