Dolby Atmos...worthwhile?

F

FunkyMonkey

So last year I built a dedicated AV extension.

I wired in 4 overhead speaker points.

Now I'm wondering, after posturing, whether it is worth laying out 3k on upgrading to Atmos.

That's how much a 11.2 receiver and 4 overhead speakers will cost.

Hard to justify after I watched Hara Kiri on blu Ray last night and the rain, trees, etc, sounded very convincing in DTS master.

Also not much dedicated Atmos content.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Initially, software will be scarce, but that will improve, but my guess is that it'll be next year before we see a decent choice emerging, which will probably start later this year. How much of that content will appeal to you is another matter.

Personally, I'd rather get my 5.1 as good as it can be before "expanding". Current 5.1/7.1 systems can still sound greatly impressive. Don't forget that the Atmos system is still designed around that core 5.1/7.1, and if that is lacking, adding more speakers to it isn't going to change that.

Long term, if you're a big film fan and watch them regularly, definitely look into Atmos and DTS:X. Personally, I'm quite happy to stick with 5.1 as it fills my room more than adequately (it's only about 4m square), and is immersive enough for my needs. Although I could add Atmos to my current system, I think I'd rather put the extra money into a better 5.1 system. It just depends on your priorities and preferences.

F

FunkyMonkey

That's the thing. I have a pretty spiffing mid range system that I feel I could not improve on.

So the next logical step would be Atmos et al.

I think my best bet would be lower range ceiling speakers like Yamaha Natural Sound, and maybe a second hand or end of line 11.2 receiver in two years time.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
get tonally matching ceiling speakers - same rule will apply to normal AV Systems.

For full and proper coherency you want the system tonally the same throughout. Little difference makes a big difference especially if you are going for an effect speaker it needs to blend in perfectly to be properly convincing.

Dont scrimp in important areas - especially with atmos speakers as your doing work to the ceiling - do it right do it once

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I just think as its the ceiling making holes, putting up brackets - moving furniture around to do it - making a right mess it makes even more sense to do it right first time.

F

FunkyMonkey

I am strictly getting a 11.2 receiver to avoid faff of stereo amp.

Currently I have Tannoy DC2 speakers at front, DCC centre, DC1 Rears, Mercury v2 sides. sub is velodyne vx10

It's not a faff at all actually. After initial installation (which was very easy), I don't even touch my stereo amplifier.

If you want a 11.2 AV receiver, only Onkyo currently does one, and Integra (which is the custom install brand of Onkyo). Wait for this fall for more models from other manufacturers.

F

FunkyMonkey

Bigboss, how does the sound character and volume of the stereo amp integrate with the sound of the receiever?

As it happens I have a stereo marantz amp in my loft, so if my concerns can be addressed it could be an option that I have hitherto discounted.

It's fine actually. Needed a bit of adjustment to match the volume, now the AV receiver controls the volume of both.

Check this thread on how I got there:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/connecting-marantz-pm6005-to-sr7009-714-atmos

Mind you, it's easier to integrate with a dedicated power amplifier or an amplifier with HT Bipass (Marantz PM8005 onwards) but a stereo amplifier once set up will work just as fine.

F

FunkyMonkey

That's very interesting, thank you. It would make use of my stereo amp and save me quite a bit of money.

what made you choose to use stereo amp with overhead speakers?

FunkyMonkey said:
That's very interesting, thank you. It would make use of my stereo amp and save me quite a bit of money.

what made you choose to use stereo amp with overhead speakers?

I wanted the same amplifier to control fronts and centre. Marantz SR7009 only allows assigning stereo amp to either fronts or rear overhead speakers.

F

FunkyMonkey

That's a shame. I would assign the stereo to sides in my set up as they are the odd ones out.

I will see if there is a 9.2 receiver that allows this.

Thanks for help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts